Just bought a new 2012 mustang GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just bought a new 2012 mustang GT

I just want some advice on what I should do to it first. I don't know much about cars and I'm not even good at driving a stick but I really want to learn everything. I love the car and want to make it a lot better. Cold air intake and a tuner is what I'm thinking of to start with from americanmuscle.com but I don't know which one is good and is there really a lot of benefit from a cold air intake if I don't have a supercharger. Pls help me out
RuSSiaNStuDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
It depends on what u wanna start first, exterior or under the hood. A cold air intake and tune would be a great start for performance wise. I just got my '12 gt a few months back but I started on exterior looks, tent, wheels, etc, and now I'm gettin a truck deck lid and spoiler. It's all about where u wanna start. And yes the CAI with the tune is worth it without a supercharger.
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Region: Maryland
I just got a 5.0 as well, and I can not get a decisive answer or data on the premium vs regular/with or without ethanol question

Obviously the best would be the premium without ethanol, but the question I have is the necessity that is required or preferred.

For example, if you cannot find it, do you fill the tank up with Shell or Exxon, or just enough to limp to the next non ethanol stop

Or does no one else really pay attention to it

(I know this should be a new thread, but I haven't reached my 100 yet . )
DC_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50
It depends on what u wanna start first, exterior or under the hood. A cold air intake and tune would be a great start for performance wise. I just got my '12 gt a few months back but I started on exterior looks, tent, wheels, etc, and now I'm gettin a truck deck lid and spoiler. It's all about where u wanna start. And yes the CAI with the tune is worth it without a supercharger.
are you going to get a hood scoop? I really want it for my car, and they already come painted from americanmuscle.com which is pretty cool, I just don't know how easy it is to put on. Do u know any other websites that you can order mustang stuff from?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

I don't know much about ethanol but I know when I first picked the car up, it was filled with regular gas and it ran like crap, then I mixed some premium with it and it was fine
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Just bought a new 2012 mustang GT

if you tune it the warranty will be voided just FYI
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
The car is designed to run on 87-93 octane. But it is noted that it runs better on 93. Dyno test have shown as much as 15whp running 93 over 87 in a stock 5.0. So it really comes down to what you want to run. I think all fuel has some type of ethanol in it now. So no woodiest long you don't try to run E85 and are not tuned for it.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is anybody thinking about getting a new shifter? I don't really like stock but I don't know much about how easy it is to replace it and is it really worth doing. A lot of times it doesn't let me go in first or second gear especially when I'm on the hill. Pisses me off
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

MGW makes a great shifter mgwltd.com
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuSSiaNStuDD
I just want some advice on what I should do to it first. I don't know much about cars and I'm not even good at driving a stick but I really want to learn everything. I love the car and want to make it a lot better. Cold air intake and a tuner is what I'm thinking of to start with from americanmuscle.com but I don't know which one is good and is there really a lot of benefit from a cold air intake if I don't have a supercharger. Pls help me out
Save your money on cold air. Bama tunes is a decent really safe tune. But don't maximize performance compared to other tunes.

As far as ordering stuff look at JPC/livernois/evolution/vmp/teambeefcakeracing for real performance needs. American muscle is great for buying a new spoiler or lights. Look to the guys leading the 1/4 mile races for performance needs.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Is anybody thinking about getting a new shifter? I don't really like stock but I don't know much about how easy it is to replace it and is it really worth doing. A lot of times it doesn't let me go in first or second gear especially when I'm on the hill. Pisses me off
Barton or MGW. To best out there.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuSSiaNStuDD View Post
MGW FTW!!! Got one and LOVE IT!!!!

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
6SpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Save your money on cold air. Bama tunes is a decent really safe tune. But don't maximize performance compared to other tunes.

As far as ordering stuff look at JPC/livernois/evolution/vmp/teambeefcakeracing for real performance needs. American muscle is great for buying a new spoiler or lights. Look to the guys leading the 1/4 mile races for performance needs.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Barton or MGW. To best out there.
So ur saying don't buy CAI or save money by buying it? And what do u mean by not maximizing performance compare to other tunes? Sorry I'm new to this
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

So ur saying don't buy CAI or save money by buying it? And what do u mean by not maximizing performance compare to other tunes? Sorry I'm new to this
By not buying it.. And you'll get more power from a tune from a place such as Evolution/lethal etc... BUT Bama offers a warranty w their tune and free tunes for life so you can retune as you mod.. If you want most power possible then go w one of the others.. If you plan on doing a lil at a time(mods) and don't have $150(roughly) for a retune every time you mod, want a warranty, and don't mind sacrificing 10-15hp(roughly) then go Bama.. For the record I have a Bama tune and am totally satisfied...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

Cold airs have shown no actual gains with track times when compared to cars with a stock air box and tune. Also for what worth most places will not charge you 150 for every time you add a new mod.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

are you going to get a hood scoop? I really want it for my car, and they already come painted from americanmuscle.com which is pretty cool, I just don't know how easy it is to put on. Do u know any other websites that you can order mustang stuff from?

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

I don't know much about ethanol but I know when I first picked the car up, it was filled with regular gas and it ran like crap, then I mixed some premium with it and it was fine
I had a few hood scoops in mind but I've decided to wait a while and get a whole hood.
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cold airs have shown no actual gains with track times when compared to cars with a stock air box and tune. Also for what worth most places will not charge you 150 for every time you add a new mod.
If you buy the tune and part you are adding from them.. I know AM wont unless you bought the tuner from them.. But if you buy a lethal tune i.e. and add another part later and buy that part from them I'm sure they prolly will..
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Buy a book and/or DVD on performance driving and/or take a track class to get the most out of your car and ever other car you'll ever drive. And buy a Chiltons/Haynes manual for tech info, if they ever release them for the 11+s.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

If you buy the tune and part you are adding from them.. I know AM wont unless you bought the tuner from them.. But if you buy a lethal tune i.e. and add another part later and buy that part from them I'm sure they prolly will..
Lethal did my buddies upgrade tune free. Not sure for every one. I know BBR charged 75 for a same day tune update. But that was going n/a to fi.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I thought tuners already come with a bunch of mod so if I just buy a part it already have a mod for, then I wouldn't have to send it in
Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
I thought tuners already come with a bunch of mod so if I just buy a part it already have a mod for, then I wouldn't have to send it in
They do. And you don't send in. They email you a tune update and you put it on the sct then load into your car.

As this is a general tune all cars are different. And you may need some adjustment in the tune.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have to have a new tune written anytime you mod.. I.e. o/r x-pipe, CAI, headers, boss IM, etc... Some mods you don't HAVE to tune but you will not get the full potential or your car could run poorly
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
The car is designed to run on 87-93 octane. But it is noted that it runs better on 93. Dyno test have shown as much as 15whp running 93 over 87 in a stock 5.0. So it really comes down to what you want to run. I think all fuel has some type of ethanol in it now. So no woodiest long you don't try to run E85 and are not tuned for it.
Will the car gain more power running VP race gas (108 Octane) on stock tune?
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus

Will the car gain more power running VP race gas (108 Octane) on stock tune?
Not really. It can adjust some but not that much for timing. The computer will +- 3 degrees of timing.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

And also I been looking into wheels. 275 is what my buddy has on his roush, but is it possible for me to get anything wider than that? Or is it a bad idea?

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

Quote:

You have to have a new tune written anytime you mod.. I.e. o/r x-pipe, CAI, headers, boss IM, etc... Some mods you don't HAVE to tune but you will not get the full potential or your car could run poorly
This is so confusing. So I buy a tuner then buy a CAI for example, and how do I upload that into the tuner? I email them and let them know that this is what I have put on the car and they email me the tune to upload on the tuner?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And also I been looking into wheels. 275 is what my buddy has on his roush, but is it possible for me to get anything wider than that? Or is it a bad idea?

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

This is so confusing. So I buy a tuner then buy a CAI for example, and how do I upload that into the tuner? I email them and let them know that this is what I have put on the car and they email me the tune to upload on the tuner?
Yea that's pretty much how it works.. Call them up and say I need a tune for this car w these mods and they build it and then e-mail to you.. Then upload to the SCT handheld and then into the car..

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

Also I wouldnt go any bigger than 275s on those factory wheels.. Maybe a 285...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I ment I will buy new rims and tires. I'm just not sure how wide I should go
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
I ment I will buy new rims and tires. I'm just not sure how wide I should go
Go least 10' in the rear. Let you run a 275-305 tire.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Go least 10' in the rear. Let you run a 275-305 tire.
Just from experience don't do 275 on that wide.. It will work but it looks RIDICULOUS! Kinda like balloons lol.. I say 295-315 is a good range for that wgeel
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

Just from experience don't do 275 on that wide.. It will work but it looks RIDICULOUS! Kinda like balloons lol.. I say 295-315 is a good range for that wgeel
315 will not fit on a 10" with out hang over. A lot of depends on tire. Some run narrow while others run wide.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

315 will not fit on a 10" with out hang over. A lot of depends on tire. Some run narrow while others run wide.
A 315 is perfect on a 10.5... I had 275 and 285 on the same wheel and the looked ridiculous.. 3 diff brands.. The wheel stuck out further than the tire lol..
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So what's a good/cheap place to buy rims and tires? And what size u guys suggest? I was thinking 19" max, I think 20s are too big
Old 04-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So what's a good/cheap place to buy rims and tires? And what size u guys suggest? I was thinking 19" max, I think 20s are too big
IMO 19s are perfect but that limits your tire choices and also more expensive tires.. I love my 19's though and am sticking with them..
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
I just put new wheels and tires on mine ... can't post it here, but it's under the pictures and videos section and a link is in my sig.

Got the wheels from American Muscle, tires were from various sources.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #33

Has anyone put a K&N in a 2012 GT?

I heard, but haven't verified that they make a mess out of the inside of the engine as they cause oil vapor to leak out and get in the electronics. . . Normally I would laugh and say this was bull**** but this came from a trusted source who heard it from a Ford Racing Specialist. . .

Yet I haven't heard anything else on it. If so, an extra 5hp on a "414" (more like 430) hp car. Ain't worth a messy engine and shorted out wires that the warranty wouldn't cover. (although according to the dealership, air filters won't void a warranty)

(Sorry but can't start a new thread yet)

Thanks!
DC_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_1908
Has anyone put a K&N in a 2012 GT?

I heard, but haven't verified that they make a mess out of the inside of the engine as they cause oil vapor to leak out and get in the electronics. . . Normally I would laugh and say this was bull**** but this came from a trusted source who heard it from a Ford Racing Specialist. . .

Yet I haven't heard anything else on it. If so, an extra 5hp on a "414" (more like 430) hp car. Ain't worth a messy engine and shorted out wires that the warranty wouldn't cover. (although according to the dealership, air filters won't void a warranty)

(Sorry but can't start a new thread yet)

Thanks!
I had a k&n for about 1k miles before i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a CAI. It made a little bit more noise over the stock but not really noticeable power gain, Just breathed a little better so it seemed. Only thing i have heard about the oil is when you over do it but they come pre oiled and aren't loaded down...or at least mine wasn't.
2012Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
RussianStudd, I know there's alot going on in this thread about mods, but if you want your 5.0 to sound more like a muscle car, do the exhaust, at least Axle Back.

The first mod I did was the Borla ATAK (Axle Back) exhaust. Awesome sound compared to stock mufflers! I don't have a comparison video of Stock/BOrla ATAK, but here is a video of how they sound on my car (2012 5.0):

LOVE IT!

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2012 mustang