some cold air testing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Since every one here loves cold airs. Here is some links to testing. Well worth looking at. You an see others that tested and chimed in. And found same results. Same day testing not just BS dyno comparing. And then JLT's BS responses.

I know both main guys and race with them. They both own two of the fastest 1/4 mile n/a 5.0 in the country. One is the fastest n/a standing mile car.

http://www.modularfords.com/f259/cai...uality-185310/

http://www.modularfords.com/f259/new...esting-184794/

http://www.modularfords.com/f259/tx-...esting-185056/
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: some cold air testing

.................wow.................. Did you just figure out part of my cars problem for me?! haha

Could i be getting a poor MAF reading when launching at high rpms?!
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I completely agree. If there is any improvement with a cai it's so negligible that it's not worth dumping the money on one when it would be better spent elsewhere.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12
.................wow.................. Did you just figure out part of my cars problem for me?! haha

You say that. Brett's car (wbt) had issues launching the one time out with a jlt on it. It would bog pretty much. Put stock back on change maf function and it launched perfect. Kdanner does the tuning for them both. And his tune in my car picked up two tenths over Blow BY Racing tune. Plus it fixed some other issues I had with bbr tune. This was on my manual car.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12 View Post

I see you signed up there. As said there put stock intake on have them update tune for it. If fixed more proof that the JLT is just what everything pointing to. Junk.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Road Trip!

The one thread on modularfords is interesting. JAY TUCKER from jlt is running circles about his product. I will never buy from jlt again that is for sure.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
The one thread on modularfords is interesting. JAY TUCKER from jlt is running circles about his product. I will never buy from jlt again that is for sure.
Yeah I read that thread. It was kinda funny actually. The only way I'll ever get a cold air kit is if I decide to SC my car.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckChorris View Post
Yeah I read that thread. It was kinda funny actually. The only way I'll ever get a cold air kit is if I decide to SC my car.
Ya waiting to see what Jay(JLT) comes back with now. Specially since silverbullet posted he had issues.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya waiting to see what Jay(JLT) comes back with now. Specially since silverbullet posted he had issues.
He'll probably keep quiet now. He's constantly digging his hole deeper. The more he says the more people he'll turn away.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckChorris

He'll probably keep quiet now. He's constantly digging his hole deeper. The more he says the more people he'll turn away.
Yep..what nice is others stepping up trying to help silverbullet. And then others saying yep no gains with cold air.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have jlt- the only issue i ever noticed was that around 3-4000 rpm i get a issue like i sucks in too much air and kinda bogs down, but catches itself and takes off...but i had the same issue on my honda civic si- kinda like lag if u will
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
I see you signed up there. As said there put stock intake on have them update tune for it. If fixed more proof that the JLT is just what everything pointing to. Junk.
is every CAI useless? I'm interested in the steeda, do you think these gains are just coming from the tune alone?

If so I'll just get the tuner but I read that the stock intake is actually more restrictive than the 2010 GT intake... confused
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
And when i did my mods i did them all at once- xpipe, exhaust, high flow cats, intake, and tune. I am not sure what each mod did seperately biut i was dyno'd at 406hp and 391tq- and when i laid into the stang for the first time after mods, i was scared ****less...
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep..what nice is others stepping up trying to help silverbullet. And then others saying yep no gains with cold air.
I agree. It's not like JLT has to quit selling them. They just need to say that it's a cosmetic accessory.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo

is every CAI useless? I'm interested in the steeda, do you think these gains are just coming from the tune alone?

If so I'll just get the tuner but I read that the stock intake is actually more restrictive than the 2010 GT intake... confused
The 2010 and 2011 are totally different. The 2011 actually comes with a cold air from Ford. That is really good. Steeds seems to have better maf readings.

And seeing your video for 11.96 with tune/Cai/tire. buuddy of mine went 11.8@119 with just tune and tire. No cold air at all. He is also not the only one to do with out the cold air. He also went 11.3 with out a cold air.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

The 2010 and 2011 are totally different. The 2011 actually comes with a cold air from Ford. That is really good. Steeds seems to have better maf readings.

And seeing your video for 11.96 with tune/Caitlin/tire. buuddy of mine went 11.8@119 with just tune and tire. No cold air at all. He is also not the only one to do with out the cold air. He also went 11.3 with out a cold air.
So should i remove my C&L intake?
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G

So should i remove my C&L intake?
If not having issues I wouldn't worry about it. You already spent money on it and no issues.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
So should I sell my Steeda CAI and put that towards a boss IM? No issues FWIW with the CAI.. Just thinking more power...
Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT
So should I sell my Steeda CAI and put that towards a boss IM? No issues FWIW with the CAI.. Just thinking more power...
What are your other mods? Look at the one thread there. They give advice on the boss intake.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What are your other mods? Look at the one thread there. They give advice on the boss intake.
I have factory 3.73s, o/r x, Bama tune and the CAI, LCAs, k-springs
Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And seeing your video for 11.96 with tune/Cai/tire. buuddy of mine went 11.8@119 with just tune and tire. No cold air at all. He is also not the only one to do with out the cold air. He also went 11.3 with out a cold air.
Damn... so they really are damn near useless... what are your thoughts on the 50hp gain in the dyno video? can a dyno tune alone do that? I think I'll just tune the thing and maybe do catless x pipe with it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

Damn... so they really are damn near useless... what are your thoughts on the 50hp gain in the dyno video? can a dyno tune alone do that? I think I'll just tune the thing and maybe do catless x pipe with it.
50whp is BS from a cold air and tune alone. Tune will net 15-20whp. Catless x pipe another 15-20.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote:

I have factory 3.73s, o/r x, Bama tune and the CAI, LCAs, k-springs
I don't think you will gain a lot going with a boss combined with Bama tune. Simply cause they don't Rev it high enough.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Throw a drop in K&N and call it a day.
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

50whp is BS from a cold air and tune alone. Tune will net 15-20whp. Catless x pipe another 15-20.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

I don't think you will gain a lot going with a boss combined with Bama tune. Simply cause they don't Rev it high enough.
Think they would build me a tune that would get me up to 7800 if I asked? I assume that would void their warranty but not really worried about it really now after seeing that after sometime no ones really having issues goin that high in the rpms
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:

Think they would build me a tune that would get me up to 7800 if I asked? I assume that would void their warranty but not really worried about it really now after seeing that after sometime no ones really having issues goin that high in the rpms
All you can do is ask.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Wow, this was a good read. Definitely has me considering picking up one of those "Boss install kits" to see if it fixes my bogging issues. I've had a couple times on the highway where I downshifted and it just bogged at ~4k and then picked up, and had some launches that did the same.

Also, the "factory cold air" was introduced in 2010, and they didn't change it for 2011. I can confirm this since I actually have owned both.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Wow, this was a good read. Definitely has me considering picking up one of those "Boss install kits" to see if it fixes my bogging issues. I've had a couple times on the highway where I downshifted and it just bogged at ~4k and then picked up, and had some launches that did the same.

Also, the "factory cold air" was introduced in 2010, and they didn't change it for 2011. I can confirm this since I actually have owned both.

my car was doing the EXACT same thing, kinda falling flat on its face and my best 1/4 time was a 12.6 with boss cai and tune. I took the boss off and i personally think the car runs smoother and def no more bog. I did add some more air in my tires are the track but i dont think that had much to do with the bogging in lower gears, i think it was the boss. I took it off and ran a 12.3 @115 with a 1.7 60'.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12 View Post
my car was doing the EXACT same thing, kinda falling flat on its face and my best 1/4 time was a 12.6 with boss cai and tune. I took the boss off and i personally think the car runs smoother and def no more bog. I did add some more air in my tires are the track but i dont think that had much to do with the bogging in lower gears, i think it was the boss. I took it off and ran a 12.3 @115 with a 1.7 60'.
I'm not sure that the issue is the Boss IM, many have had good results. I contacted a buddy that works at a Ford dealership and he's going to see if I can just order the Boss inlet tube instead of the whole kit since I don't need all that other ****.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I'm not sure that the issue is the Boss IM, many have had good results. I contacted a buddy that works at a Ford dealership and he's going to see if I can just order the Boss inlet tube instead of the whole kit since I don't need all that other ****.
You can get just the tube.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet! Have you seen it anywhere, or do you have a part number?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you def seem to know what the deal is with these cars haha
so my next question

If you were me would you continue running the JLT after doing a 12.3 or would you switch to a steeda cai?

Next upgrade is gonna be the braided tranny line from lethal. Dunno what else i can do without breaking the bank for some more hp lol
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12

you def seem to know what the deal is with these cars haha
so my next question

If you were me would you continue running the JLT after doing a 12.3 or would you switch to a steeda cai?

Next upgrade is gonna be the braided tranny line from lethal. Dunno what else i can do without breaking the bank for some more hp lol
I would switch to a steeds or air raid from Kris and Brett's test. Most likely airraid.

The clutch line and clutch is a must if going to to keep racing.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would switch to a steeds or air raid from Kris and Brett's test. Most likely airraid.

The clutch line and clutch is a must if going to to keep racing.
The more I think about the fact that the intakes require a tune makes me think that they are making power but I have a feeling it's being made lower in the curve where it won't actually affect track times but you still have more power when you're cruising an decide not to downshift all the way
Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:

The more I think about the fact that the intakes require a tune makes me think that they are making power but I have a feeling it's being made lower in the curve where it won't actually affect track times but you still have more power when you're cruising an decide not to downshift all the way
Requires a tune cause the diameter where maf is is bigger. Causing a mess up in maf readings.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Requires a tune cause the diameter where maf is is bigger. Causing a mess up in maf readings.
Gotcha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT