Mustang Evolution Forum banner

gt vert 1/4 mile times??

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JimC 
#1 ·
has anyone take thier convertible gt out to the track to run the 1/4?? if so what times have you posted?? i searched but couldnt find any topic on verts. thanx

#5 ·
yea i was kind of upset that it has to have a rollcage installed anything under 13.5. i actually went this wed that passed. i was gonna buy a helmet but they didnt have one my size, so i had to settle for rental which capped me at 14, they said if i ran anything under ill get kicked out. i set my expectations at 13.5 seeing that i see some stock 6spd coupes run low 13's, and being that i have a convertible its heavier. my 1st run i spun thru 1st and 2nd and clocked a 13.8 @103.77, i thought i was gonna get a warning but i didnt so for the 2nd run i ran a 13.3 @ 107, in this run i kinda bogged a bit of the line then got on it, i was happy with this run as i was suprised thats its quicker then i figured it would be, for my last run i was like a kid in a candy store and still no warning, so i tried to go all out,this time i heated up the stock 19in tires, got up to the line and got too excited took off too hard got sidewayz thru 1st 2nd and some of 3rd. at the end of the night i was very happy with the outcome, i think next week imma return again and see if they let me run again see if i can get a a 13 or even a 12.9.

#6 ·
Nothing wrong with a 6 point cage - just have to give up the back seat

Checking fit while fabricating

Most tracks will let you go the first couple of times, especially for test and tune. Eventually they will say something, especially when you start running mid 12's

#11 ·
Ha wasn't too easy in my old 04 GT.. But I made it happen.. And watched a movie while we were back there lol

#12 ·
Part of the design parameters I set out with mine for fabrication was that I be able to unbolt and remove it - easy to do with a convertible, drop the top, get out the wrenches, lift the cage out, and within 15 minutes the grandkids can ride in the back.

#13 ·
JimC said:
Part of the design parameters I set out with mine for fabrication was that I be able to unbolt and remove it - easy to do with a convertible, drop the top, get out the wrenches, lift the cage out, and within 15 minutes the grandkids can ride in the back.
That is cool! Wonder if this could be done in a coupe? It would be more difficult!

#15 · (Edited)
It would be more difficult in a coupe because you don't have the ability to drop the top and lift the cage out. It cost me only $1200 for the fabrication, paint (I added the stripe myself after it was done), and installation. I don't know how much he charges today though.

There are 6 bolts in the back stays, 8 on the main hoop bottom plates. Take the rear seat out (the rear seat is really light so I've never done a seat delete), lift it up and set it aside. The bolts go through a plate welded to the cage, and there is another plate welded to the frame of the car with nuts welded to that. The door bars have bolts on the lower mount and pins up top so they are out of the car for daily driving use, and just popped in when I head to the track.

This is the main part out of the car:

Those pictures are also of the first design - I didn't like the harness bar going straight so had him bend it back. I couldn't get my seat comfortable with it going straight across the back and needed the extra room to recline the back and push the seat all the way back. In the first picture up above you can see the redesigned harness bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.