3.73 automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 5
3.73 automatic

Hello All,

I know there have been a few posts on the various gear ratios out there. Im actually scheduled to get 3.73's installed on my 2012 gt automatic next week; however after reading up a bit im starting to have some doubts. Ive read that it will decrease gas mileage, but how significant is the decrease? Im averaging 19mpg overall right now with most of that being city miles. I do drive 9miles to work everyday but its mostly spent in stop and go traffic. I also do drive on the freeway almost daily, but not for any significant distances. My 2 main concerns are mpg decrease, and also noise level increase. I just installed the Roush axlebacks and love the sound, however if the 3.73s would make them even louder it might get to the annoying level of sound. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks!
__________________
2012 5.0 premium 6A with 401a pkg
--15% tint all around, Roush Axleback, AM black Billet grill, AM Blackout kit (tailights,side markers, 3rd brake light), 3.73 gears coming soon--
breheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
You will see an increase in sound with increased rpms from gears. You will also see a 1-2 MPG drop.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
godsdisciple85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 594
I have the 3.73 gears on my 11 auto and i dropped a full 2 mpg but i also cant keep my foot off the gas lol the sound didnt change much if anything it helped decrease droan on hwy which is nice my commute is almost identical as yours so this should be pretty accurate for you...the FEW times i driven conservative for a few days the mpg jumped back within a half mpg of what i was getting....still get great mpg for longer hwy trips

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Btw i have single chamber flowmaster exhaust which is very similar sound as the roush

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Do the 3.73 and dont look back combined with a tune its best bang for buck mods there is
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 5
Re: 3.73 automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85 View Post
I have the 3.73 gears on my 11 auto and i dropped a full 2 mpg but i also cant keep my foot off the gas lol the sound didnt change much if anything it helped decrease droan on hwy which is nice my commute is almost identical as yours so this should be pretty accurate for you...the FEW times i driven conservative for a few days the mpg jumped back within a half mpg of what i was getting....still get great mpg for longer hwy trips

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Btw i have single chamber flowmaster exhaust which is very similar sound as the roush

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Do the 3.73 and dont look back combined with a tune its best bang for buck mods there is
Another question i had was about the tune. Im actually getting them installed through my dealer for 500 installed including the gears. Will they tune them upon install? or will i have to get an aftermarket tune such as BAMA etc? the reason im having them done through the dealer is so as not to void the warranty.
__________________
2012 5.0 premium 6A with 401a pkg
--15% tint all around, Roush Axleback, AM black Billet grill, AM Blackout kit (tailights,side markers, 3rd brake light), 3.73 gears coming soon--
breheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Re: 3.73 automatic

If you drive freeway a lot then you will be at higher rpm's than usual which means a loss in mileage, since you do mostly stop and go it shouldn't make much of a difference... Some people have actually gotten better mileage from higher gears because since you accelerate quicker you don't have to get on the gas as much in stop and go.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
86custom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 221
19?? At 60mph I get average 28 and climbing. Mine is a manual with 3.73s. At 75mph I average around 24-25.
__________________
2011 Gt, Mt-82, C&L cai, SSW catback
Bama can tune, gutted cats
Godspeed wheels 20x8 up front 20x10 on rear
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
godsdisciple85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by breheiser

Another question i had was about the tune. Im actually getting them installed through my dealer for 500 installed including the gears. Will they tune them upon install? or will i have to get an aftermarket tune such as BAMA etc? the reason im having them done through the dealer is so as not to void the warranty.
dealer cannot calibrate your spedometer for the gears so an aftermarket tune is required...the tune will void warrenty

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom
19?? At 60mph I get average 28 and climbing. Mine is a manual with 3.73s. At 75mph I average around 24-25.
sounds like you drive like a girl the only way i could get that kind of miledge would be to drive very slow and thats not going to happen....btw your manual car is litter which helps a little with mpg are you tuned?
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
86custom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85

dealer cannot calibrate your spedometer for the gears so an aftermarket tune is required...the tune will void warrenty

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------



sounds like you drive like a girl the only way i could get that kind of miledge would be to drive very slow and thats not going to happen....btw your manual car is litter which helps a little with mpg are you tuned?
Well I have my share of fun on short trips. I have a six hour drive home. So I try to squeeze as many miles as I can on long trips. Yes I'm tuned it helped me about 2-3 miles per gallon. I do drive crazy at times but not stupid.
__________________
2011 Gt, Mt-82, C&L cai, SSW catback
Bama can tune, gutted cats
Godspeed wheels 20x8 up front 20x10 on rear
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85

dealer cannot calibrate your spedometer for the gears so an aftermarket tune is required...the tune will void warrenty

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------



sounds like you drive like a girl the only way i could get that kind of miledge would be to drive very slow and thats not going to happen....btw your manual car is litter which helps a little with mpg are you tuned?
Im pretty sure they can.. They did on my old 04 gt when I had them done.. I realize completely diff car but I'm pretty sure you can w fords procal tuner at the very least.. They offer it with some of their various performance pkgs..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
godsdisciple85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Im pretty sure they can.. They did on my old 04 gt when I had them done.. I realize completely diff car but I'm pretty sure you can w fords procal tuner at the very least.. They offer it with some of their various performance pkgs..
they cannot 100% i know from experience...,they said they could at first but they can only change the gears for the manual (only the three options from the factory) but CANNOT on the automatics. The procal can go up two increments i think to 3.55 on the autos but i am not positive, the procal voids warrenty anyway so might as well get a bama or other aftermarket
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Best bang for the Buck on an auto is a stall. Do a stall over gears. Stall will drop. 5 on average where gears you may gain .2.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
godsdisciple85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Best bang for the Buck on an auto is a stall. Do a stall over gears. Stall will drop. 5 on average where gears you may gain .2.
maybe best bang for the buck if all your doing is drag racing but i think for mainly street stuff its not advisable at least thats my experience...not to mention mpg will be GREATLY affected

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Attually i think dr or slicks are best bang for buck drag racing mod
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85

maybe best bang for the buck if all your doing is drag racing but i think for mainly street stuff its not advisable at least thats my experience...not to mention mpg will be GREATLY affected

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Attually i think dr or slicks are best bang for buck drag racing mod
Even on the street a stall wakes an auto up. Big time.

Any time your racing a tire is a must. Be it stock or tune or a 3000whp monster.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 5
Re: 3.73 automatic

im not looking to drag race or really do any racing at all (aside from an occasional red light to red light). I just hate how the auto feels sluggish, and ive heard new gears really make it come alive. I considered a stall, but since i wont be taking it to a track the investment isnt worth it to me.
__________________
2012 5.0 premium 6A with 401a pkg
--15% tint all around, Roush Axleback, AM black Billet grill, AM Blackout kit (tailights,side markers, 3rd brake light), 3.73 gears coming soon--
breheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by breheiser
im not looking to drag race or really do any racing at all (aside from an occasional red light to red light). I just hate how the auto feels sluggish, and ive heard new gears really make it come alive. I considered a stall, but since i wont be taking it to a track the investment isnt worth it to me.
You just need a tune then really. It wakes them up big time. A stall is great even for red light to red light. Even if not going to a track though.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105
Re: 3.73 automatic

I've also heard that higher ratio diff. help on city driving, or stop and go driving as some would say. If you're getting the 3.73 also get some good rear tires if you want to hook up.
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Ford mustang gt automatic sadly mitch5544 Member Garages 0 04-02-2012 06:41 PM
3.73 gear install Xofferick 2011-2014 Mustang GT 9 03-30-2012 12:35 PM
Procharger or vortec sc for 11'5.0 MT 3.73? JG5.0 2011-2014 Mustang GT 20 03-27-2012 07:24 PM
3.55 to 3.73 bigsmitty24 2011-2014 Mustang GT 16 03-26-2012 11:20 AM
3.73 or 4.10? alexak187 1996-2004 Mustang GT 33 03-23-2012 07:37 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:16 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.