How low? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
How low?

Wanna drop my car, thinking 1 inch all the way around. At what point do I need c/c plates and how about just spring without changing shocks/struts?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: How low?

1" and you will be perfectly fine. Just springs is also ok but that's all opinion and will spark a debate.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have approx 1inch now with my pro-kit springs. No caster camber plates, only springs and it's fine. Just ordered the eibach sport system plus from AM which will lower it more then an inch and the guy I spoke to highly recomended caster camber plates so I got them.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I have Eibach ProKit springs and ProDampers on mine and are very happy with the look as well as the handling and ride. A couple of things you need to know/expect when you lower your car though-
1- you are going to want to install an adjustable panhard bar, as dropping the rearend forces the rear axle a little off-center and you will wind up with one rear wheel/tire stickiing out a bit more than the other
2- The factory strut mounts are (I have been told), one time use type pieces and once they have been removed and reinstalled, they go to crap. My passenger's side strut mount made horrible popping noises whenever the steering wheel was turned to the left, I wound up replacing them with Maximum Motorsport adjustable Camber/Caster Plates- problem solved.

I hope this is helpful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	46989  
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski
I have Eibach ProKit springs and ProDampers on mine and are very happy with the look as well as the handling and ride. A couple of things you need to know/expect when you lower your car though-
1- you are going to want to install an adjustable panhard bar, as dropping the rearend forces the rear axle a little off-center and you will wind up with one rear wheel/tire stickiing out a bit more than the other
2- The factory strut mounts are (I have been told), one time use type pieces and once they have been removed and reinstalled, they go to crap. My passenger's side strut mount made horrible popping noises whenever the steering wheel was turned to the left, I wound up replacing them with Maximum Motorsport adjustable Camber/Caster Plates- problem solved.

I hope this is helpful
I have ur exact same setup, I purchased the GT500 mounts only to find out they don't fit, the installer was able to reuse the factory mounts no problem, since the front is only being lowered an inch u wont need anything more than a alignment... this setup is great I love the ride and feel
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, I bought the GT500 mounts too, and sent them back since they wouldn't fit- forcing me to reuse the factory mounts. sure glad I have the M/M plates now, tho...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, I bought the GT500 mounts too, and sent them back since they wouldn't fit- forcing me to reuse the factory mounts. sure glad I have the M/M plates now, tho...
Looks great. Just the right amount of wheel gap. What size rims are those?
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

9-1/2x20 Steeda Spyders on 275/35-20 Nitto Invos front and 11X20's with 315/35-20's on the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03162012.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	46990  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I have steeda ultra lites on mine which is about 1 1/4" in the rear and 1 1/2" up front. I also installed koni shocks and struts just to be on the safe side. With just an inch drop though, you should be good with just springs. When you are taking the strut mounts out, if you are not replacing them be very careful because mine just pulled apart and would have been useless. GT500 mounts are only like a $100 bucks, and they fit my set up just fine.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

FWIW- the GT500 strut mounts will not fit stock 11-13 GT struts (or Eibach's either for that matter). Clearly they must fit the Koni struts as 5pointOh used them on his...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

If your going with a kit go with the FRHP, drops and inch and the ride is a beautiful one. No other parts needed with the kit. I got mine through AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
9-1/2x20 Steeda Spyders on 275/35-20 Nitto Invos front and 11X20's with 315/35-20's on the rear.
Love the fat tires. How is the ride quality with the 20s? I have the pro kit and I am looking into wheels. Can't decide on a size and I want the fender gap to be minimal
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

the 20's ride great- IMHO these cars look righteous with fat 20's on them.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post
I agree, I think 20"s look great with a drop on these car..but you know what they say about opinions. Anyway, can't wait until mine arrive

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post
Word
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT