engine making belt noise engine ticking sounds like a diesel 3k miles on car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
engine making belt noise engine ticking sounds like a diesel 3k miles on car

Hi,

today i noticed a couple of things about my car.

the belt and or pulley seems to be making a constant chirping squeeking noise and the enigne sounds like its ticking?? the car has 3.500 miles on it and it hasnt been raced or abused or ever been at the track

no its not tuned thank god i didnt pull the trigger just yet i have the stuff in the box at home.

Car only has a kn filter and catback???

going to dealer asap see what this is all about. the car is an early 2011 model.... i also bought the car 11k off the sticker price not sure why it was that low.....
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: engine making belt noise engine ticking sounds like a diesel 3k miles on car

Dont be to worried. Warranty should cover everything,thats what they are there for.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: engine making belt noise engine ticking sounds like a diesel 3k miles on car

build date is 10/10 it really is a super early 5.0 i guess the engine really is kaput.

i just did a little more listening

sounds like the camshafts are like clunking into metal on both sides. sounds like its right underneath the valve covers.

sound coming from where the engine meets the transmission by the rear of the intake manifold knocking/hissing noises.

loud knocking sound from dead center middle of the engine. like where the crank shaft is?

its scary if my cars engine rly is dead i hope my loaner car isnt going to be a fiesta or something lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, on the fiesta! But at least you can enjoy 40 mpg for a bit, lol!

I know I've seen some issues with oil consumption and this mysterious ticking sound on some of the early 5.0's. But since you haven't tuned it and your in warrantee you should be golden. The only negative is turn around time to get the motor replaced. But all in all you should be covered! Just make site you go over the car with a fine toothed comb when you get it back. I've heard of issues of steering being off and other little things after people reclaim their cars.

Let us know what they say.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Hi,

the belt and or pulley seems to be making a constant chirping squeeking noise and the enigne sounds like its ticking?? the car has 3.500 miles on it and it hasnt been raced or abused or ever been at the track

no its not tuned thank god i didnt pull the trigger just yet i have the stuff in the box at home.

going to dealer asap see what this is all about. the car is an early 2011 model.... i also bought the car 11k off the sticker price not sure why it was that low.....
That sucks dude but your gonna be okay dis any lights go off on the dashboard or codes?
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No lights no codes ??? Weirdnesss
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You would most likely get a code or check engine if it was really bad.... Dont worry about it brother take it in and let fors deal with it.... Just keep us updated if there is any problems
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Im going to the dealer soon.

I work at a shop and all the mechanics said it sounds like lifters ticking and lower rod bearings.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

The infamous tick is just slack adjuster for timing chain, just an intermittent tick. Look it up on you tube to see if you have the same sound.
MarkUA322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have noticed a whine, belt related sounds like a power steering pump that's low on fluid. But if we have electric power steering, right? Planning on a trip to the dealer. Frown.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hi,

Hey man just wanted to let you know there's a TSB out for that belt squeak.
20115oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What really? Well there is a knocking noise from the engine too sure what thats about. I got an appointment may 2nd i talked to a head ford rep and he said he replaced about 4 5.0 engines these past few months. He said its not very common but has seen it happen. All completely stock, anyways he said not to worry about it as its all under warranty.

I cant wait to get my new engine or whatever fix so i can tune it finally!

Btw what engine would they most likely replace it with a 2011 remanufactured 5.0? 2013 2012? Boss engine if i asked nicely
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Your car must not be in that bad a shape if your appt isn't until May 2? If that was mine I would drop it off to the dealer and not take it back until it's fixed.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
build date is 10/10 it really is a super early 5.0 i guess the engine really is kaput.

i just did a little more listening

sounds like the camshafts are like clunking into metal on both sides. sounds like its right underneath the valve covers.

sound coming from where the engine meets the transmission by the rear of the intake manifold knocking/hissing noises.

loud knocking sound from dead center middle of the engine. like where the crank shaft is?

its scary if my cars engine rly is dead i hope my loaner car isnt going to be a fiesta or something lol
A fiesta isn't bad, I'd take it over a Versa, or Aveo etc. The dealer closest to me, or quick lane (to be PC) has the Lincoln MKZ ( the one that's the fusion with Lincoln badging), and Navigators for their rentals. At least that's all they had last time.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well they dont have any rentals till may 2nd. Otherwise id drop it off right now. The car doesnt have a heck engine light yet so till it comes on i can drive it according to the dealer. I need a loaner i dont really care what it is acctually
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Umm question when they replacethe engine, can they see your driving habbits in the ecu. Like how fast ive went etc? Will they not cover the engine if say i drove eratically?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think with the new computers they can but only in a crash situation..... If everything is still stock, you should have no problems!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok good phew lol.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Keep us updated! Mine is doing the same thing with 550 miles and I baby it still.
James12gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Will do! May 2nd ill let you guys know
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James12gt
Keep us updated! Mine is doing the same thing with 550 miles and I baby it still.
Oh wow, your belt is squealing or your having the knocking sound too?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
Umm question when they replacethe engine, can they see your driving habbits in the ecu. Like how fast ive went etc? Will they not cover the engine if say i drove eratically?
With all the data being pulled out by Track Apps in the '13s (which has the same ECU), I wouldn't be surprised...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

With all the data being pulled out by Track Apps in the '13s (which has the same ECU), I wouldn't be surprised...
Very true, I wouldn't be surprised either! I know it's apples to oranges, but in my 2012 f150 with the 5.0 they say in a crash situation, the computer data logs almost all information seconds before the crash so if they were to investigate, the computer will tell them how fast the vehicle was going, what position the throttle was in, wether or not the brakes were pressed and etc, etc. these computers are getting too good! Lol
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197

Very true, I wouldn't be surprised either! I know it's apples to oranges, but in my 2012 f150 with the 5.0 they say in a crash situation, the computer data logs almost all information seconds before the crash so if they were to investigate, the computer will tell them how fast the vehicle was going, what position the throttle was in, wether or not the brakes were pressed and etc, etc. these computers are getting too good! Lol
Its always logging it. It's just how far back it "saves" it.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Well im pretty sure they cant access that indlformation unless you crash (black boxes)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well im pretty sure they cant access that indlformation unless you crash (black boxes)
I would say that unless there is a law preventing them from accessing said information, or it is wiped every time the car is turned on or driven X miles, then they probably are. Fun fact, if your engine is getting replaced, your ECU will be sent to Ford Engineering to be analyzed first. This is to make sure you didn't have an aftermarket tune, but God knows what else they are digging in to.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but they cant access the rumoured "black boxes".

I dont think the ecu can save that information
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes but they cant access the rumoured "black boxes".

I dont think the ecu can save that information
Exactly what makes you think that the people who designed them can't access them, or that it's not being recorded somewhere else as well? If that data can be accessed after a crash and reveals data for the time period leading up the the crash, then it is obviously storing that data somewhere and choosing what to present to the "black box" as you put it (be that a piece of hardware or a software program). The ECU doesn't have the ability to travel into the past and tell itself to start recording in five seconds since there is going to be a crash, it has to be constantly saving that information and writing a permanent copy in the case of an "event."
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Exactly what makes you think that the people who designed them can't access them, or that it's not being recorded somewhere else as well? If that data can be accessed after a crash and reveals data for the time period leading up the the crash, then it is obviously storing that data somewhere and choosing what to present to the "black box" as you put it (be that a piece of hardware or a software program). The ECU doesn't have the ability to travel into the past and tell itself to start recording in five seconds since there is going to be a crash, it has to be constantly saving that information and writing a permanent copy in the case of an "event."
+1 could not have said it better
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It can if your flux capacitor is turned on and you're going at least 88 mph! Lol!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Any word from the dealer?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

They say its normal. Smh
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome... See how normal it is when the belt snaps.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I suppose when and of anything goes wrong they'll say that's "normal" too!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I suppose when and of anything goes wrong they'll say that's "normal" too!
Bingo! This is why most of us don't give a flying fornication about our warranties.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT