STICK OR AUTO?? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #36

Region: California
Ahhh the all time dilemma. Our first Stang was a manual and I absolutely loved it! But with all the traffic in SoCal my left quad would cramp up commuting. So for our new Stang (a '13 GT/CS convertible) we opted for the auto since we'll be doing waaay more cruising.
RKN HR5E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

I have busted 2 & 3 series turbo BMW's in GE with a neon because they have to wait for the shift change. A rev happy Stang w/out rev lim set should pace you and then beat an auto waiting for PCM controlled shift. Stick can run all the way to the red line in all gears. So, if you learn to shift...hmmm. Nough said. Albeit this is about non-modified.
Auto's have posted just as good times as manuals both bone stock. And on average the autos run faster stock actually. And then modded the autos are running away from the manuals. Fastest manual NA went 10.88@125 with -1000 DA. Buddies auto just went 11.00@124 with +1600 DA. Corrected for DA it is 10.82@126. Same manual went 11.17@123 with same DA.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I can't believe wnt2gofst didn't ha e something to say about this lol..
Bring the manuals to the track and watch me and my buddies rape them mod for mod. Even manuals with more mods run slower..

Me 10.91@129...buddy with same setup as me. Only difference is he is a manual ran 11.8@123..and that is only difference. Same blower/boost/rims-tires, exhaust. He now wants an auto. When trans gets tuned he will be way behind.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
Manual. If you get an auto youre gonna end up wanting a manual sooner or later
Funny I know 5 guys that traded their 2011+ manual for an auto. None went auto to manual.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

I don't think a GTR is a joke..
Just watched one go 11.1@1#7 bone stock. Ferrari 599 went 12.3@110.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Auto's have posted just as good times as manuals both bone stock. And on average the autos run faster stock actually. And then modded the autos are running away from the manuals. Fastest manual NA went 10.88@125 with -1000 DA. Buddies auto just went 11.00@124 with +1600 DA. Corrected for DA it is 10.82@126. Same manual went 11.17@123 with same DA.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Bring the manuals to the track and watch me and my buddies rape them mod for mod. Even manuals with more mods run slower..

Me 10.91@129...buddy with same setup as me. Only difference is he is a manual ran 11.8@123..and that is only difference. Same blower/boost/rims-tires, exhaust. He now wants an auto. When trans gets tuned he will be way behind.
That's what I was referring to lol.. Sounds like he's having some issues too runnin that w a blower and drs.. My buddy ran a 12.6 bone stock factory Pirelli all seasons 6MT... Actually he cut out the h-pipe and put on some 40 series flowmasters(not axlebacks).. Id cry if I ran 11.8 w a blower and drs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #39
Road Trip!

Quote:

That's what I was referring to lol.. Sounds like he's having some issues too runnin that w a blower and drs.. My buddy ran a 12.6 bone stock factory Pirelli all seasons 6MT... Actually he cut out the h-pipe and put on some 40 series flowmasters(not axlebacks).. Id cry if I ran 11.8 w a blower and drs...
Yep..same track same day one after each other.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Idc what times an auto runs I think manuals are funner

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

The majority of folks drive their cars on the street, not the strip. It is a sports car. Look at sports car lineage and you will see a common thread of being manual shift.... For the simple fact that you will always be in the perfect RPM whenever needs be. On the highway at 65, I've dropped from 6th down to 3rd and barked the rears and dusted a Porsche 911 turbo, and a Camaro SS. Scalded ape man..... Try it once and see how the adrenalin shakes make you feel.
JasnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasnTX
The majority of folks drive their cars on the street, not the strip. It is a sports car. Look at sports car lineage and you will see a common thread of being manual shift.... For the simple fact that you will always be in the perfect RPM whenever needs be. On the highway at 65, I've dropped from 6th down to 3rd and barked the rears and dusted a Porsche 911 turbo, and a Camaro SS. Scalded ape man..... Try it once and see how the adrenalin shakes make you feel.
But it's also a modern muscle car.. And some of the baddest old muscle cars were autos.. I've had both and really don't have anything against either.. It's 1000% all what you wanna do w the car.. If you have a lot of stop and to then a manual can suck *** but it's more fun to play in better for road course.. Auto better in traffic and faster on the drag strip.. All depends on where ya wanna go with it..
Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: STICK OR AUTO??

I have a manual....the only way I sell it and get auto is unability to push the clutch in like it should be. Now, i have had 2 back surgeries since 1996 and last one in 2000....the nerves in my back were injured and has cause my left leg to be a lot weaker over the last 10-12 yrs...so a auto is in my future because of that. Sooner than later.
dailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey
I have a manual....the only way I sell it and get auto is unability to push the clutch in like it should be. Now, i have had 2 back surgeries since 1996 and last one in 2000....the nerves in my back were injured and has cause my left leg to be a lot weaker over the last 10-12 yrs...so a auto is in my future because of that. Sooner than later.
I have nerve issues in my left leg.. After I'm in the car a while in city traffic it gets pretty rough..
Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My stang isn't a DD and I love my manual... but I'm glad my DD is an auto cuz being stuck in traffic SUCKS!!!
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasnTX
You realize you can do that with an auto right..and hold the gear and everything.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Funny I know 5 guys that traded their 2011+ manual for an auto. None went auto to manual.
Well you and your buddies have different uses for your cars then some of us. We arent building a track car like you are or maybe even your friends. I personally dont have anything against autos. I have both an auto and a manual mustang and i personally like my manual better but thats just me. But if i ever build a car just for the track then yes ill go with an auto
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death View Post
Well you and your buddies have different uses for your cars then some of us. We arent building a track car like you are or maybe even your friends. I personally dont have anything against autos. I have both an auto and a manual mustang and i personally like my manual better but thats just me. But if i ever build a car just for the track then yes ill go with an auto
We all drive our cars every day. And mine bust the manuals *** on the street just like the strip. There is sevral 03-04 Cobra's, Modded Vettes and Camaro's to ask. I have lost once to a GT500 that was making about 60-70whp more then me.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We all drive our cars every day. And mine bust the manuals *** on the street just like the strip. There is sevral 03-04 Cobra's, Modded Vettes and Camaro's to ask. I have lost once to a GT500 that was making about 60-70whp more then me.
Well said! Auto FTW

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide

Well said! Auto FTW
There is a reason why real race cars on the strip are auto! No room for playing games on the strip
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #50

Region: Canada
Manual all the way.
2012 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

We are enthusiast we really enjoy driving our cars some preferred auto and for the pure pleasure of driving we opt manual and you have more drivetrain loss in an auto

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChargedGT
We are enthusiast we really enjoy driving our cars some preferred auto and for the pure pleasure of driving we opt manual and you have more drivetrain loss in an auto
Like 2-3%...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #53
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
Like 2-3%...
Yup, it's so negligible anymore that's not even much of a factor. They're becoming far more efficient and great for quick shifting. Won't be long before mustangs have DCT's and shift in milliseconds.

Love my manual though and wouldn't give it up for the best auto in the world

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Yup, it's so negligible anymore that's not even much of a factor. They're becoming far more efficient and great for quick shifting. Won't be long before mustangs have DCT's and shift in milliseconds.

Love my manual though and wouldn't give it up for the best auto in the world
That's how I feel, idc how much slower a manual is dropping third gear on the highway and breaking the tires loose before taking of like a rocket is such an adrenaline rush lol

Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #55
Filibuster

Fwack this thread!!...if you want the drive sensation of a manual and the shift speed of an auto...go jerico!..

XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Depends on what want to do with it..want to drag race go auto..want to do auto x get the manual.
This

And my version of auto x is daily driving

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChargedGT
Idc what times an auto runs I think manuals are funner
How can you say "funner" twice and expect anyone to take you seriously?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo

This

And my version of auto x is daily driving

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

How can you say "funner" twice and expect anyone to take you seriously?
Lol damn I just caught that 10 hours of work does that to you. I stop paying attention about half way through

Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I say manual all the way. I love in Chicago and I had no clue how to drive manual when I bought my GT. Now that I've upgraded and have a GT500 and installed a short throw shifter I'm in love. Driving stick is so much fun and I would never buy another automatic. Maybe I'm still new to the whole being stuck in traffic but it doesn't bother me.
Shelby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Manuals are way more fun to drive around town (except in heavy traffic), but the new automatic transmissions are superior to manuals in every single way. That is why all the big boy sports cars are coming with paddle-shifted automatics.

Those of you saying that you can't hold gears or that there is a lot more drivetrain loss need to get with the program. It's not the 70s anymore and these things have been overcome by modern engineering and advanced electronic controls.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Manuals are way more fun to drive around town (except in heavy traffic), but the new automatic transmissions are superior to manuals in every single way. That is why all the big boy sports cars are coming with paddle-shifted automatics.

Those of you saying that you can't hold gears or that there is a lot more drivetrain loss need to get with the program. It's not the 70s anymore and these things have been overcome by modern engineering and advanced electronic controls.
Amen!
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If your gonna get a auto you might as well get a sixer, just my opinion
Dylanbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanbest View Post
That's an interesting opinion ... exactly what has lead you to this conclusion?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanbest
?????
Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

?????
Can you not read?

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

That's an interesting opinion ... exactly what has lead you to this conclusion?
Look at saleenv8's comment lol That sums it up
Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Can you not read?

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Look at saleenv8's comment lol That sums it up
Do you know anything about cars?.. Don't answer that it's rhetorical...
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you know anything about cars?.. Don't answer that it's rhetorical...
Air fuel ignition lmao
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Air fuel ignition lmao
Ever heard transmission? I guess all pro drag racers use autos cuz their slower.. Makes since.. And generally muscle cars are associated w drag racing not road course racing.. Which is where the manual does best..
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ever heard transmission? I guess all pro drag racers use autos cuz their slower.. Makes since.. And generally muscle cars are associated w drag racing not road course racing.. Which is where the manual does best..
Your just pulling strings tryin to sound like a big shot lol I never said which was faster or slower and don't care to argue on that subject either. Your question was far from rhetorical you could never grasp my knowledge on cars based on anything I just said and the only "point" you proved is you'll argue just for the sake of arguing and not the subject matter
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your just pulling strings tryin to sound like a big shot lol I never said which was faster or slower and don't care to argue on that subject either. Your question was far from rhetorical you could never grasp my knowledge on cars based on anything I just said and the only "point" you proved is you'll argue just for the sake of arguing and not the subject matter
It was rhetorical bc you don't know anything and I already knew that.. Lol And I'm on subject.. Manual vs auto..
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Haha k thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT