STICK OR AUTO?? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bottom line is both manual and auto have their pluses and minuses. Auto is way better on the strip which is were the real race vehicles hang out. Manual may be funner to some but real men do not play with sticks Lol. On a serious note, its all personal preference. One thing for sure, the auto tranny on our cars is rock solid. Cant say the same about the manual. Many reported issues with the manual. Just google it and you will see
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide
Bottom line is both manual and auto have their pluses and minuses. Auto is way better on the strip which is were the real race vehicles hang out. Manual may be funner to some but real men do not play with sticks Lol. On a serious note, its all personal preference. One thing for sure, the auto tranny on our cars is rock solid. Cant say the same about the manual. Many reported issues with the manual. Just google it and you will see
You the man
Dylanbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stang
I live in Miami, FL which is FULL of people. I'm not sure if I should ge a manual trans or an auto trans. Since this will be my first car and I'm going on an ok route to school I would like to have stick. But is it worth it in a place like this? Anyone who wants to post their experience, it would help.
I think every one on here has missed the point!..

This being your first car (Im assuming your maybe 16?.. Sorry if I'm wrong!..). But the real question is!.. How comfortable are you driving a stick?.. To me it sounds like your not that comfortable driving one, because you are asking what you should get as a Daily Driver!.. And if your not comfortable driving one, especially in heavy traffic then you should get an auto!.. It will save you from potential problems in the end!..

Driving should be comfortable and relaxing!.. Not stressful!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I think every one on here has missed the point!..

This being your first car (Im assuming your maybe 16?.. Sorry if I'm wrong!..). But the real question is!.. How comfortable are you driving a stick?.. To me it sounds like your not that comfortable driving one, because you are asking what you should get as a Daily Driver!.. And if your not comfortable driving one, especially in heavy traffic then you should get an auto!.. It will save you from potential problems in the end!..

Driving should be comfortable and relaxing!.. Not stressful!..
I'm glad we put this back into perspective. Even if you're not comfortable practice makes perfect. I was terrified when I first started and as I said before I'm in love.
Shelby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #75

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby21

I'm glad we put this back into perspective. Even if you're not comfortable practice makes perfect. I was terrified when I first started and as I said before I'm in love.
Same here, but I learned on a civic, hills, traffic and all. Now I'm proficient and loving every minute of it in the Stang, even in traffic!
Chris24ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24ali

Same here, but I learned on a civic, hills, traffic and all. Now I'm proficient and loving every minute of it in the Stang, even in traffic!
Heck I wish I learned on a civic. I felt horrible and was super nervous to learn on my husbands Bullitt and then his Shelby. At least I started in parking lots and subdivisions. All I know is that I'm glad I learned how to. It's so much fun and I love playing around at different shifting points.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: STICK OR AUTO??

How will he ever learn stick if he doesn't own one? And the real racers are on the track, not the strip. Anybody can drive in a straight line!
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
How will he ever learn stick if he doesn't own one? And the real racers are on the track, not the strip. Anybody can drive in a straight line!
Not everyone! Lol
Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide View Post
Not everyone! Lol
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
I have seen some clowns on the strip trying to figure it out lol
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

I'll probably never drive on a track. I'm still slow off the start so it would never be worth it.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bro its Miami, traffic is a ****ing *****, auto are running better at the track anyways and the sport shift is good.
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
Bro its Miami, traffic is a ****ing *****
Right! I know EXACTLY what you mean!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChargedGT

Lol damn I just caught that 10 hours of work does that to you. I stop paying attention about half way through
Haha no worries I get the same way
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointOh View Post
I've been to Miami and you guys have a lot of highways and interstates and for that reason a stick wouldn't be bad. Plus you can do cool stuff like rev your engine while cruising down ocean blvd. lol. Anyway, if you plan on drag racing your car I have heard that the autos are faster. However, I love my manual and wouldn't give it up for the world.
I wouldn't say autos are faster, unless the 2011 auto transmission is some sort of DSG?

If not, they'd just be more consistent.

I could NEVER buy a performance car in auto. Purist I guess. That being said, a Mustang is one of those cars that car being auto doesn't hurt its performance.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
I wouldn't say autos are faster, unless the 2011 auto transmission is some sort of DSG?

If not, they'd just be more consistent.

I could NEVER buy a performance car in auto. Purist I guess. That being said, a Mustang is one of those cars that car being auto doesn't hurt its performance.
Prior to 2011, the manuals were (generally) the better choice for performance. For 2011+ the auto is actually faster then the manual. It's combination of a pretty good automatic and a pretty bad manual ... no DSGs here.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Prior to 2011, the manuals were (generally) the better choice for performance. For 2011+ the auto is actually faster then the manual. It's combination of a pretty good automatic and a pretty bad manual ... no DSGs here.
What makes the auto tranny better for 2011+?

Also, aside from the 2011+ manuals being "weak" so to speak, what would make them ****ty? Long throws?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What makes the auto tranny better for 2011+?
Gearing, build quality, etc. There's been a lot of discussion about it around here ...

Quote:
Also, aside from the 2011+ manuals being "weak" so to speak, what would make them ****ty? Long throws?
Throws are relatively short ... still can't shift as fast as the computer though. Some people don't like the gearing as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
still can't shift as fast as the computer though.
This is what I was getting at. It isn't "just" an automatic since computer shifts are usually slower than a manually operated car.

Guess I'll just have to do more research on the transmission. Seems like autos are getting better attention as the demand increases.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is what I was getting at. It isn't "just" an automatic since computer shifts are usually slower than a manually operated car.
Back in the good-old-days that was true, but not anymore. It is a normal automatic transmission, they are just much more advanced than they were in the muscle cars of yesteryear and are controlled by computers that are more advanced than was imaginable 20 years ago. The computer can shift WAY faster than you can even think about shifting.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Back in the good-old-days that was true, but not anymore. It is a normal automatic transmission, they are just much more advanced than they were in the muscle cars of yesteryear and are controlled by computers that are more advanced than was imaginable 20 years ago. The computer can shift WAY faster than you can even think about shifting.
+11.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any documented numbers? Most reviews seem to suggest the auto is on PAR with the stick. That being said, there will definitely be MORE autos running faster times when they're much more consistent and shift quicker than ever as you stated.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any documented numbers? Most reviews seem to suggest the auto is on PAR with the stick. That being said, there will definitely be MORE autos running faster times when they're much more consistent and shift quicker than ever as you stated.
Yeah just look around this section and other forums. Ask wnt2gofst about it since he has owned both, and has friends who have both and they all run at the track on a regular basis.

Bottom line is that you can believe what you want man ... I'm done arguing with you about something that is a well accepted fact around here.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah just look around this section and other forums. Ask wnt2gofst about it since he has owned both, and has friends who have both and they all run at the track on a regular basis.

Bottom line is that you can believe what you want man ... I'm done arguing with you about something that is a well accepted fact around here.
Whoa. Arguing? We're just having a discussion. I also simply asked a question.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

+1000000000

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Agreed! Well said
Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Seriously, are there documented shift times?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii
Seriously, are there documented shift times?
The hell with documentation! Its proven that the manual trannys on our cars are problematic. The auto has been around a while. Our auto trannys where installed in the F150s in this decade. Also, there is a reason autos rule on the strip
Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The hell with documentation! Its proven that the manual trannys on our cars are problematic. The auto has been around a while. Our auto trannys where installed in the F150s in this decade. Also, there is a reason autos rule on the strip
Problematic doesn't mean they can not be shifted as fast. AUTOs rule the strip because when you begin to race competitively or professionally, an auto will run consistent times. Which is what you are aiming for in a true drag car.

I am simply asking a question. If there is no Ford word on how fast it shifts, then saying it IS faster is hearsay.

No doubt the auto will have a higher average for a faster 1/4 mile time because it is easily more consistent. Most people can't drive and will almost always drive a high powered stick car to a slower time.

This doesn't mean it is ACTUALLY AND FACTUALLY faster.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Problematic doesn't mean they can not be shifted as fast. AUTOs rule the strip because when you begin to race competitively or professionally, an auto will run consistent times. Which is what you are aiming for in a true drag car.

I am simply asking a question. If there is no Ford word on how fast it shifts, then saying it IS faster is hearsay.

No doubt the auto will have a higher average for a faster 1/4 mile time because it is easily more consistent. Most people can't drive and will almost always drive a high powered stick car to a slower time.

This doesn't mean it is ACTUALLY AND FACTUALLY faster.
Thats a great point! But remember that this is 2012. Technology has really improved the autos
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats a great point! But remember that this is 2012. Technology has really improved the autos
Oh, true. No doubt. I can only go on the information I have which is that there is no advantage for a manual over auto on the 2011s. Nothing would lead me to conclude that the auto shifts faster. Although I have no problem agreeing that it shifts faster than most people can.

Watching an auto 2012 shift at the track a few weeks ago showed me how good they shift. Sounded as good as when I shift BUT, to be fair, I could never claim to shift as fast as it.

I believe the fastest someone can shift is .3 tenths of a second while DSGs are like .08 or something. I would think the GT auto is at least equal to .3

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh, true. No doubt. I can only go on the information I have which is that there is no advantage for a manual over auto on the 2011s. Nothing would lead me to conclude that the auto shifts faster. Although I have no problem agreeing that it shifts faster than most people can.

Watching an auto 2012 shift at the track a few weeks ago showed me how good they shift. Sounded as good as when I shift BUT, to be fair, I could never claim to shift as fast as it.

I believe the fastest someone can shift is .3 tenths of a second while DSGs are like .08 or something. I would think the GT auto is at least equal to .3
Computers will always be faster than humans. But some enthusiast of the manual tranny will tell you they can shift faster lol. Either way, its personal preference
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Computers will always be faster than humans. But some enthusiast of the manual tranny will tell you they can shift faster lol. Either way, its personal preference
DSG transmissions are definitely faster but AUTO don't always shift faster.

In the end though, with newer technology as you stated, less super cars come in manual form.

The beloved GTR is paddle shift only.

Good way to squeeze a few tenths for your numbers.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

I like paddle shifters
Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I like paddle shifters
Really want to try them out. Maybe Ill go test drive a Camaro. Rolling up in a '13 GT to do so would be kinda funny, though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT