STICK OR AUTO?? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #106
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

DSG transmissions are definitely faster but AUTO don't always shift faster.

In the end though, with newer technology as you stated, less super cars come in manual form.

The beloved GTR is paddle shift only.

Good way to squeeze a few tenths for your numbers.
Yeah the ferrari 458 italia only comes with a double clutch paddle shift 7spd gearbox that ferrai claims shift times are 0 and has no loss of power from the gearbox to the rear wheels!!...yeah I know its a ferrari im just stating the technology is out there!....
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Yeah the ferrari 458 italia only comes with a double clutch paddle shift 7spd gearbox that ferrai claims shift times are 0 and has no loss of power from the gearbox to the rear wheels!!...yeah I know its a ferrari im just stating the technology is out there!....
I actually got to drive a 458 on a race track. I can tell you that the transmission is awesome! I love manual trannys, but that was a lot of fun and extremely responsive. As long as you have complete control of what ratio you are in, it's all the same.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito

I actually got to drive a 458 on a race track. I can tell you that the transmission is awesome! I love manual trannys, but that was a lot of fun and extremely responsive. As long as you have complete control of what ratio you are in, it's all the same.
I'm jealous

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm jealous
You can do it too! Look up Exotics Racing! For about $400 it's a blast!
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #110
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito

Lucky duck!!....
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #111
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
Really want to try them out. Maybe Ill go test drive a Camaro. Rolling up in a '13 GT to do so would be kinda funny, though.
More people do it then you think..Guy just traded his 5.0 for a 392...another his SS for a 5.0. And another his 5.0 for a SS. All said cause they liked interior of others better. And ride in camaro better, but the two that flipped from SS/5.0's said 5.0 felt a little faster.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: STICK OR AUTO??

Cool, so no alarms go off or anything when I hit the Chevy lot? lol Think I'm gonna do it...and bring a camera.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #113
Filibuster

Quote:
Cool, so no alarms go off or anything when I hit the Chevy lot? lol Think I'm gonna do it...and bring a camera.
Go for it!...I have a camaro as well and think people should be more open minded and realise there's alot of fun cars out there to enjoy
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #114
Road Trip!

Quote:
Nope they don't care what your driving...just tell them your thinking going camaro cause of just that..paddle shifters

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Go for it!...I have a camaro as well and think people should be more open minded and realise there's alot of fun cars out there to enjoy
Agree...that and the ls3 is a great engine...so cheap to mod compared to a coyote or even 4.6 for internals.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #115

Manual...for all the reasons listed above, plus it's cheaper to buy a standard. I also live in a big city (San Antonio) and still prefer a stick shift!
SPAT412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Nope they don't care what your driving...just tell them your thinking going camaro cause of just that..paddle shifters
I just learned that Challengers have paddles now and I gotta Dodge dealer right around the corner. F that Camaro. lol
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

More people do it then you think..Guy just traded his 5.0 for a 392...another his SS for a 5.0. And another his 5.0 for a SS. All said cause they liked interior of others better. And ride in camaro better, but the two that flipped from SS/5.0's said 5.0 felt a little faster.
Camaro interior blows
Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Camaro interior blows
Amen^ lol, it really does
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Never enjoyed driving until I bought my first manual ('96 prelude). Haven't looked back since :p
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

The new camaro's are nice but the interior is just so small in my friends I couldn't see out the sides and my head hit the ceiling around 5 times (in a short ride). I like to be completely comfortable when I drive.

Edit: Post 100! ^_^ lol.
Babystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #121

Region: Maryland
I like both, in fact prefer Manual but after much consideration, I went Automatic.

The reasons being I live in a city, and a high traffic congestion area, which obviously means more stopping, shifting, shorter distances etc etc. therefore not only a pain but bad for the various parts

Also I plan on drag racing, but keeping everything stock/warranty friendly. This pretty much leaves you to bracket racing, so the consistent time an automatic trans gives you is far more advantageous than the fractions of a second a manual may or may not provide.

Also, should you want to upgrade via trade in, the depreciation tends to be less on automatic

Plus, with the Premium, there's too many things to play with on the inside despite the voice controls to have to stop to shift gears

Anyway it's up to what you want to do with your car in immediate and long term. One isn't necessarily "better or worse" just what you want and where you are
DC_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #122
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Camaro interior blows
There is some stuff I like and some stuff I don't..like the gauges you can opt for are good but location sucks. The srt8 I think has best interior by far.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
New gt500 only comes in manual. Well done ford!
Dylanbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 AM   #125
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanbest
Very well done! But of course the drag race police will be here saying the auto is faster in the 1/4....but really who cares and auto is just no fun plain an simple.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Very well done! But of course the drag race police will be here saying the auto is faster in the 1/4....but really who cares and auto is just no fun plain an simple.
Yup. Auto is faster in the quarter, manual is more fun around town. That's been pretty definitively proven by now. I have a manual because I don't live on the quarter mile, if I was building a drag car it would be a different story.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Also, the GT500 is a street/track car. Not built for the 1/4 mile (that's the cobra jets job).
Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Yup. Auto is faster in the quarter, manual is more fun around town. That's been pretty definitively proven by now. I have a manual because I don't live on the quarter mile, if I was building a drag car it would be a different story.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Also, the GT500 is a street/track car. Not built for the 1/4 mile (that's the cobra jets job).
+11
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #128
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanbest
An auto will be faster. And with today's auto is just as much fun on the street. Many have actually thought I had a manual on the street.

The GT500 only comes in manual and is one thing that has turned a lot of people off. Also one thing that hurts its over all performance at the drag strip. But it isn't just a track car. It was actually built for road racing and drag strip. And a manual is way better at a road course. Hence why zl1 comes in both auto and manual. If you go on some the bigger forums you will find guys that have made their GT500 an auto since they drag race or they have the tranny faceplanted.

CJ is a purpose built drag car as mentioned. Hence why it comes with a big stall.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
And with today's auto is just as much fun on the street.
Entirely subjective, and I disagree. I spend a little time in some of the nation's worst traffic (DC), and I've done it in true autos, DCT "autos," and manuals. Greatly prefer manual, creeping in 2nd or 3rd. When not in traffic I prefer revmatching a downshift one or two gears and hitting the interstate hard versus hitting a rocker lever a couple of times. There are few things more rewarding than a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift.

If you find the automatic "fun," that's fine. I don't, and I don't find it very engaging as a driver either. I would pay for the option of a manual, luckily it's actually cheaper. I would consider a true dual-clutch manual like Porsche's PDK or BMW's DCT, but an auto with wet clutch, etc just isn't for me.

Diff'rent strokes.
tenfifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #130
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen
Entirely subjective, and I disagree. I spend a little time in some of the nation's worst traffic (DC), and I've done it in true autos, DCT "autos," and manuals. Greatly prefer manual, creeping in 2nd or 3rd. When not in traffic I prefer revmatching a downshift one or two gears and hitting the interstate hard versus hitting a rocker lever a couple of times. There are few things more rewarding than a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift.

If you find the automatic "fun," that's fine. I don't, and I don't find it very engaging as a driver either. I would pay for the option of a manual, luckily it's actually cheaper. I would consider a true dual-clutch manual like Porsche's PDK or BMW's DCT, but an auto with wet clutch, etc just isn't for me.

Diff'rent strokes.
I can select any gear I want. Then combined with the stall its extremely hard to beat at the track or street.

I would prefer the GTR tranny. Its so perfect. Its the main reason that car is so fast for being a fat pig and only making 530hp, 545hp for 2013.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #131
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

This is a simple decision.
Are you buying the car as a daily commuter or as a "fun" car?
If you're using it for a daily, or as a primary vehicle (or perhaps your only vehicle) look auto unless you don't mind shifting all the time without choice of an auto.
If you're using it mostly as a sports car to have some fun with, get the stick. There is no replacing the interaction you get in a sports car with a stick. It's night and day.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post

Diff'rent strokes.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
I can select any gear I want. Then combined with the stall its extremely hard to beat at the track or street.
I didn't say you couldn't select your own gear, or that the auto isn't "faster" objectively. I just prefer a manual. You don't, that's fine. Our choices don't have to be mutually exclusive.

The GT500 is objectively faster than the GT. I prefer the GT. Ditto 911 Turbo and GT3. There is more to driving than objective performance.

Again, it's preference, not "right or wrong."
tenfifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #134
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen
I didn't say you couldn't select your own gear, or that the auto isn't "faster" objectively. I just prefer a manual. You don't, that's fine. Our choices don't have to be mutually exclusive.

The GT500 is objectively faster than the GT. I prefer the GT. Ditto 911 Turbo and GT3. There is more to driving than objective performance.

I rape GT500's so I have no worries about them. Even the new ones.

But yes its all preference. Both have advantages.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfifteen View Post

"tenfifteen", you did not come off sounding objective when you said it, you came off sounding more like you were downing the Autos more than just stating "To each his own" choice. Don't take it so hard, you are not the only one who has done it, there are a lot of people who get carried away with bragging/boasting about they know how to drive stick. I use to own one, now I have Auto. Choice.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Auto is CONSISTENTLY faster, not necessarily faster in actuality. Without a Ford official number of how fast the Auto shifts, there is no verifiable proof.

Now, the 2011+ Auto shifts so fast, audibly, it sounds like it is at WORST on par with a fast shifting manual driver and I can believe that it shifts faster than a 6 speed driver can. I just would not tell someone it is a fact until there is an official time shift or document.

That being said, with the constant variables in every comparison about anything, I think the argument can and will always be made in favor of the Autos because the margin of error is negligible.

In the end, Autos rule the 1/4 mile the faster you go as it eliminates much, but not all driver error.

wnt2gofst can attest to that. He has a pretty nasty auto

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #137
Road Trip!

Quote:
Auto is CONSISTENTLY faster, not necessarily faster in actuality. Without a Ford official number of how fast the Auto shifts, there is no verifiable proof.

Now, the 2011+ Auto shifts so fast, audibly, it sounds like it is at WORST on par with a fast shifting manual driver and I can believe that it shifts faster than a 6 speed driver can. I just would not tell someone it is a fact until there is an official time shift or document.

That being said, with the constant variables in every comparison about anything, I think the argument can and will always be made in favor of the Autos because the margin of error is negligible.

In the end, Autos rule the 1/4 mile the faster you go as it eliminates much, but not all driver error.

wnt2gofst can attest to that. He has a pretty nasty auto
Indeed. Test have been done with autos and pro drivers shifting. The auto showed to be faster.

When drag racing the fastest manual.is a faceplanted tranny. Simply cause you don't have to lift or push in a clutch.

Auto when tuned are still faster and more consistent. The littlest thing with a manual can throw times way off. With that though a auto is way harder to tune. As you have shift points, shift pressure, shift firmness, line pressure, converter lock up, and some other stuff to tune. You don't have none that with a manual.

I have had both a manual 5.0 and an auto. Stock to stock the manual felt quicker. Simply cause you have more control of the tranny while the auto isn't tuned. But they infact ran basically same times bone stock. Least against a buddies car we used for comparison with both cars.

Fastest stock manual and auto are seperated by like .05 at the track ran in similar weather at the same track. The manual actually had a little better DA.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Indeed. Test have been done with autos and pro drivers shifting. The auto showed to be faster.

When drag racing the fastest manual.is a faceplanted tranny. Simply cause you don't have to lift or push in a clutch.

Auto when tuned are still faster and more consistent. The littlest thing with a manual can throw times way off. With that though a auto is way harder to tune. As you have shift points, shift pressure, shift firmness, line pressure, converter lock up, and some other stuff to tune. You don't have none that with a manual.

I have had both a manual 5.0 and an auto. Stock to stock the manual felt quicker. Simply cause you have more control of the tranny while the auto isn't tuned. But they infact ran basically same times bone stock. Least against a buddies car we used for comparison with both cars.

Fastest stock manual and auto are seperated by like .05 at the track ran in similar weather at the same track. The manual actually had a little better DA.
+11 even if you took out the fact of it "Shifting Faster", it's still a better choice for 1/4 mile racing!.. All because you can program when, where, and how it shifts and it will hit it exactly every time!.. No human is that consistent!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
All because you can program when, where, and how it shifts and it will hit it exactly every time!.. No human is that consistent!..
This is agreed.

Although, some people literally amaze me when they're dialing in within .010 while even braking to not break out in 4 or 5 speed manuals.

They are few and far between though.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

This is agreed.

Although, some people literally amaze me when they're dialing in within .010 while even braking to not break out in 4 or 5 speed manuals.

They are few and far between though.
There are some really awsome drivers out there!.. But even if the auto shifted slower I would still go with it!.. All because of it's consistency!.. Can't tell you how many races I've won all because the driver of a stick getting too excited, missing a shift, or just not paying attention!.. And more often than not, their car would have been faster than mine!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT