Crappy trans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Crappy trans

Ears the trans in the 2012 gt is made in china and has a max torque rating of 375 ft/lb torque rating. Is this true? I know the gt500 has the tremec, but the gt has the "getrag" trans. Same company that makes trans for the Toyota supra. True?
5.0MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Crappy trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0MustangMan View Post
Ears the trans in the 2012 gt is made in china and has a max torque rating of 375 ft/lb torque rating. Is this true? I know the gt500 has the tremec, but the gt has the "getrag" trans. Same company that makes trans for the Toyota supra. True?
Nope, it's rated for 380. Stock engine is, conservatively, rated at 390.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Nope, it's rated for 380. Stock engine is, conservatively, rated at 390.
Ohh.. Well still, why not put the tremec standard? How expensive is it to swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ohh.. Well still, why not put the tremec standard? How expensive is it to swap?
Nobody knows, probably to save money. Swap is expensive ... $6-8k for a T56 mag and everything required (bellhousing, driveshaft, crossmember).
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Nobody knows, probably to save money. Swap is expensive ... $6-8k for a T56 mag and everything required (bellhousing, driveshaft, crossmember).
Thanks, I'm gonna look into that. I hate this trans. Already giving me problems.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks, I'm gonna look into that. I hate this trans. Already giving me problems.
Might want to look up JPC, they have done a swap already IIRC.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What kind of problems?
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
What kind of problems are you having? Mine is an early build 2011 and I have 19,000 problem free miles
Wilhelm0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's not going into gear, skip shifting (that can be deactivated though) and once, this has nothing to do with tranny, but the car was running rough and the wrench light was on, so I tried to get it back to the house and when waiting for the garage to open It died. Turned it back on and it was fine.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Another should have bought an auto.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Another should have bought an auto.
I know it's been suggested before, but I'm seriously starting to believe that the auto manufacturers are intentionally making it terrible to own a manual car so that we will all have to buy autos. I wonder how many more people have to report issues before the "MT82 Truthers" will stop denying there are problems.

Anyways OP, you can take your car back to the dealership for service since there are multiple TSBs out for the MT82, but not many people have reported luck with the Ford fixes. Many people have had good luck changing to a different fluid in the trans. I use AMSOil, but I don't recommend it if you drive in cold weather since it still shifts like crap and has a hard time going into 1st when it's below 60-70 degrees. It's butter smooth when it's warm though, which is fine by me since my stang is a nice weather car.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I love the way my manual shifts. I have a 03/12 build date. But I've only put 6k miles on her in the last yr. Knock on wood. I guess. I'd pick a different car if I had to go with an automatic.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

19000km problem free.... When its cold its alittle clunky but when warm....shifts as smooth as butter
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang
I love the way my manual shifts. I have a 03/12 build date. But I've only put 6k miles on her in the last yr. Knock on wood. I guess. I'd pick a different car if I had to go with an automatic.
What...different car why?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Probably go with a Charger if I had to go auto. Only because I have kids and the extra doors would be the trade off.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang View Post
Probably go with a Charger if I had to go auto. Only because I have kids and the extra doors would be the trade off.
SRT8's turn me off cause of price and no tuning. And I would not settle for an RT. Biggest reason is no tuning.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Big reason for me is just...big. That's a freaking huge boat, that Charger and, it weighs about the same as star R136a1.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Are the Charger RT's too heavy and slow yes. And the SRT is way over priced but it drives very nice.....for a four door. Either way I have my 12' GT manual and I love it. No new vehicle for me for a couple years.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

my 12 has never ever tried to make me skip a shift EVER.... not sure what you all are doing to make it want you to do so but.... it must be something VERY odd and unusual.

they are not the strongest trans in the world, even if the same company used to make the ones for the supra doe snot mean these are just as good/strong. The 2nd gear in mine is notchy but other than that its not bad.... nothing like my T-56 though it feels much firmer overall (but it doenst have a linkage)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
my 12 has never ever tried to make me skip a shift EVER.... not sure what you all are doing to make it want you to do so but.... it must be something VERY odd and unusual.
Mine would do it every time I revved to 2k or so in 1st gear. I have heard a few reports of the solenoid being unplugged from the factory, have you checked to see if it's hooked up? I think putting it in sport mode/advancetrac off will defeat skip shift too ... so if you drive in those modes more often that not you might not see it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I thought the same(it wouldn't skip shift if in sport mode/advance Trac off) but still did it. I've notice it doesn't do it when cold tho.

Also, my dealer told me to drive it like a granny for the break in period and the tranny would be bullet proof. It's broke in now and the tranny hasn't shown any signs of trouble.
Xofferick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Mine's in the shop now, supercharger-like whining just started out of nowhere and about 3000 kilometers, now at 5000 and it's not got any better so, surgery is required. No problems with the dealer response so far.

Nothing out of the ordinary on break-in by me. change gears often, don't cruise the highway, basic stuff. It was late Dec. when I took delivery so, hooning around wasn't really an option on the summer-only Pirellis.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like it's hit or miss with these cars...
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xofferick
Yep..glad I got rid of my manual..
Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is. Some are fine, some grenade for no reason.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Mine's in the shop now, supercharger-like whining just started out of nowhere and about 3000 kilometers, now at 5000 and it's not got any better so, surgery is required. No problems with the dealer response so far.

Nothing out of the ordinary on break-in by me. change gears often, don't cruise the highway, basic stuff. It was late Dec. when I took delivery so, hooning around wasn't really an option on the summer-only Pirellis.
I have tht supercharger whine too on mine... Ddnt know that was bad
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

It's bad when it starts for no reason out on nowhere and it wasn't there before. It needs to be quite loud for Ford to accept it as an issue. if you can drown it with the radio on a low setting, Ford will likely say its fine.

Bottom line is this, having got a touch of experience with this stuff:

Trans whines like this (on multiple gears) are caused generally by a change in the relationship of the countershaft and the mainshaft. The only reason that would change, typically is if the bearings on either shaft were starting to get slack or have play. They should have little to none, as the gears are helical (for reduced noise, har!) and need a solid relationship to mesh and stay meshed properly.

Left unaddressed, the eventual outcome will likely be more noise, as the gears wear unevenly and change the relationship further between main and countershaft gears. It could also have other consequences if it get really bad, like shifting issues, vibration or even trans lockup.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Yep..glad I got rid of my manual..
I can't bring myself to want an auto, they are almost problemless, faster shifting than any person can be with a manual, yet I love manuals , always have and they are just fun!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

I can't bring myself to want an auto, they are almost problemless, faster shifting than any person can be with a manual, yet I love manuals , always have and they are just fun!
The only Auto I would ever buy is the Lexus IS-F. That transmission is top notch. I had one for the weekend and didn't want to return it. I let my buddy drive it and he was neck and neck with me in my 11 GT 3.73's, just Axelbacks
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xofferick View Post
This ain't true on the factory tuning for the auto. This isn't some Ferrari sequential with 16 m/s shifting. it's still a juice box and you need to tune it to snap up the shifts to manual trans speeds.

Anyway, th pushback has started for me, with the tech claiming the noise is "normal" after the previous tech at the initial test identified it as "too loud" for normal. Plus they tried to tell me my shift knob change was an "aftermarket shifter" and that would amplify the noise. Negotiations continue.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
This ain't true on the factory tuning for the auto. This isn't some Ferrari sequential with 16 m/s shifting. it's still a juice box and you need to tune it to snap up the shifts to manual trans speeds.
Agreed ... they come off the line tuned for "normal" people who are doing "everyday driving." If you're even thinking about when your automatic trans shifts, then you're definitely in the minority. I had an automatic 4.0 and getting the shift points changed and firmed up really made it a different car, but I totally understand why they don't ship them like this.

Quote:
Anyway, th pushback has started for me, with the tech claiming the noise is "normal" after the previous tech at the initial test identified it as "too loud" for normal. Plus they tried to tell me my shift knob change was an "aftermarket shifter" and that would amplify the noise. Negotiations continue.
Man that sucks. I don't know why Ford is treating their customers like this! If they are pushing back I would just stop dealing with them and go right to the corporate Ford Customer Service.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ford dealer delivered verdict: "Normal"

This despite the fact they previously said it wasn't and the problem started magically at 3000 kilometers and wasn't there before.

They offered to arrange for a "second opinion" at another Ford dealer which I'll certainly be taking them up on. This other dealer has more Mustangs on the lot and is a Roush dealer so perhaps they'll be more familiar with "normal" for Mustangs.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

So, in the spirit of a last appeal to reason I went to pick up the car today
and said my piece, rationally and reasonably. The owner of the dealership
talked to me, we went out for a ride and he agrees there's a noise there.
They are now seeking Ford's permission to rip into the box and find the
fault, which is alot different story than I got this morning. Hope springs
eternal that we'll see a resolution to this issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT