Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for repairs - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd

Geez, sorry to hear that man...I know this has to be killing you...
Yeah it blows. Not much I can do. Going to try to get a BMR tubular k member if I can swing it.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
sorry to hear about your car man. I just got my mustang back after being in a car accident (womenfloridadrivers)
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaDstang
sorry to hear about your car man. I just got my mustang back after being in a car accident (womenfloridadrivers)
I've been to Florida a few times... Know exactly what you mean.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
its ridiculous man, either 90 years old can't see over the steering wheel or there doing there make up while talking on the phone. i got rear ended and pushed into a h2 hummer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120510_000502.png
Views:	112
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	49919  
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaDstang View Post
its ridiculous man, either 90 years old can't see over the steering wheel or there doing there make up while talking on the phone. i got rear ended and pushed into a h2 hummer
Ugh, that looks painful!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for rep

BMR Tubular K Member and brace have been ordered and are being shipped to the repair shop. Worked out really well for me financially, so I'm pretty excited.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
BMR Tubular K Member and brace have been ordered and are being shipped to the repair shop. Worked out really well for me financially, so I'm pretty excited.
Awesome!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Way to make lemonade
tbonz2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Paint is done, just needs reassembled. BMR k member shipped today, should be here nlt Wednesday. I'm optimistic that I'll have her back for memorial day weekend, but it might run in to the next week.

Name:	image-3313635781.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	50943

Name:	image-1809451065.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	50944

On a lighter note, the receptionist stopped me when I went back to look at the car and said, "by the way, your car sounds REALLY GOOD. It's amazing." Nothing like still getting compliments when the car is still in pieces
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Paint is done, just needs reassembled. BMR k member shipped today, should be here nlt Wednesday. I'm optimistic that I'll have her back for memorial day weekend, but it might run in to the next week.

On a lighter note, the receptionist stopped me when I went back to look at the car and said, "by the way, your car sounds REALLY GOOD. It's amazing." Nothing like still getting compliments when the car is still in pieces
What panels did they blend and paint? Did u go to a shop that does Ford's mostly? I'm wondering how well they can match the paint on a race red... I do pdr for a living and I know silver and tan is a real pain to blend and look right under the bright sun
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2

What panels did they blend and paint? Did u go to a shop that does Ford's mostly? I'm wondering how well they can match the paint on a race red... I do pdr for a living and I know silver and tan is a real pain to blend and look right under the bright sun
Drivers side fender and door were blended. Not a ford only shop, but they are one of the best shops in the area.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #47
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:

Drivers side fender and door were blended. Not a ford only shop, but they are one of the best shops in the area.
Sounds like their doing a better job then ford did on my car when it got backed into. It still isn't the same.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Sounds like their doing a better job then ford did on my car when it got backed into. It still isn't the same.
I would never take my car to a dealership for repair. They typically focus on one thing, sales (cars and parts). After that they look at constant revenue streams such as quick lane (maintenance) and collision repair is waaaay down on their list.

I'm very happy with how it is turning out so far. I inspected the panels they blended and couldn't tell it had been touched. I have an eye for color and shade variations too btw, spent some time in the printing industry a whole ago.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

I would never take my car to a dealership for repair. They typically focus on one thing, sales (cars and parts). After that they look at constant revenue streams such as quick lane (maintenance) and collision repair is waaaay down on their list.

I'm very happy with how it is turning out so far. I inspected the panels they blended and couldn't tell it had been touched. I have an eye for color and shade variations too btw, spent some time in the printing industry a whole ago.
The ford dealership here is the best body shop in the area IMO.. Done plenty of work on my vehicles and never been dissatisfied.. I also have an eye for those things seeing as how I am in the auto accessory industry.. Doesn't really matter where you go a dealership or a lil crap hole down some dirt road.. You never know where the best painters in your area are gonna be.. Ask around and get people that live in your areas that have used different shops and see who's best..
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Yup, I took it to the best shop I could find. They have an extremely good reputation and that can't be said for any of the dealerships in my area.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup, I took it to the best shop I could find. They have an extremely good reputation and that can't be said for any of the dealerships in my area.
You get your Pony back yet?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
You get your Pony back yet?
No but I'm hoping to get it Monday or Tuesday. When they went to install the BMR K-member they found that there was more damage at the rear of the car when they got it up on the rack. There was a dent in the undercarriage that needs pulled out and refinished, the evap canister was shattered and the gas tank shield needs replaced.

The gas tank shield has been holding us up since none of the local Ford dealers had one in stock and they had to order one. Ford has also never heard of drop-shipping, since they had to ship it to the local dealership, then have some dude throw it in his truck and drive it 25 miles to the body shop.

Anyways, hoping to get it back before Tuesday, which will be the six week mark. Once I get it, I'll try to get it up on the rack and post pictures of the new K Member.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No but I'm hoping to get it Monday or Tuesday. When they went to install the BMR K-member they found that there was more damage at the rear of the car when they got it up on the rack. There was a dent in the undercarriage that needs pulled out and refinished, the evap canister was shattered and the gas tank shield needs replaced.

The gas tank shield has been holding us up since none of the local Ford dealers had one in stock and they had to order one. Ford has also never heard of drop-shipping, since they had to ship it to the local dealership, then have some dude throw it in his truck and drive it 25 miles to the body shop.

Anyways, hoping to get it back before Tuesday, which will be the six week mark. Once I get it, I'll try to get it up on the rack and post pictures of the new K Member.
What a pain. Well hopefully you get it back this week. It's good that they are doing a thorough job on everything.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
What a pain. Well hopefully you get it back this week. It's good that they are doing a thorough job on everything.
Agreed, and I can't say I would do it any differently. I wouldn't have cars tying up lifts waiting on parts either if it was my shop.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Safe and sound, tucked away in the dinky garage attached to my apartment.

Name:	image-2061612049.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	522.5 KB
ID:	53286
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Holy crap u jus got this thing back?! All over that thing u hit on the road? I havent been keepin up with this thread obviously..
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Glad to see it is only a key turn away for you again

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #58
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Cool! Can't wait to see the new K member! Mine is still a little bent from the accident nearly 2 years later. I plan on getting the BMR K myself.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
Holy crap u jus got this thing back?! All over that thing u hit on the road? I havent been keepin up with this thread obviously..
Yeah it's been rough. The shop was very thorough and the car is perfect. It was worth the wait to have it done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Cool! Can't wait to see the new K member! Mine is still a little bent from the accident nearly 2 years later. I plan on getting the BMR K myself.
I am trying to get it on a lift to get some pics. The k member is amazing. I had been told I would feel a lot more of the engine through the pedals and wheel, but it's like having the 5.0 bolted to your foot. I could even feel it turning over through the clutch when I started it. Very crazy! (in a good way).
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Safe and sound, tucked away in the dinky garage attached to my apartment.
Awesome!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT