Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for repairs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for repairs

I got into a minor incident this morning ... still not 100% sure what happened but here is my best account of it.

I was driving up the highway in the left lane, passing a semi in the right lane (only two lanes on this highway). Suddenly there is a huge cloud of dust/dirt/smoke/whatever and debris flying all over. At this point I'm flat out mashing the brake pedal (NT05s held the road very well btw) but still hit some debris. It didn't sound/feel bad at all so I just assume at this point that it was a blown tire from the semi since he had no load and was pulling off the road.

I keep driving to work and right before I make the last turn I hear some loud banging and feel some serious bumps. My first thought is that whatever I hit comprimised one of the drag radials and it blew, so I babied it down the road and went to make the turn on the road I work on. That wasn't so much of a turn as a controlled slide, which I knew meant I had lost a tie rod. I managed to limp it into the maintenance entrance and here's what I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_1.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	48025

Not pictured: snapped tie rod

Name:	Tie Rod_1.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	48026

Name:	Rocker Panel_2.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	48027

So it looks like I'm in for a new front valence, tie rod (and all the fun that comes with it), splash guards, fender, and rocker panel. I think the only thing I could "upgrade" is the valence to a GT/CS. Any tips on "coercing" the shop to do this?
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
First off, get the gt/cs. I just added mine and looks amazing. Second, i also had a run in on the highway with a rock to my front fender.. Not fun seeing ur brand new car messed up. I feel for ya! Also i think there are some decent side skirts out there that look nice and wont run u more than a shop. As for the tie rod, unless ur a mechanic. Have a shop do it right and bite the bullet
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I'm sure that with it being an OE style part they wouldn't have much issue installing it as long as you tell them the part to order. If insurance is payin for it I don't see why they would care. Give them a part number and tell them it's what you want.

Best of luck bud

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for rep

It is all about how you can work with your ins. adjuster. If you having body shop do it you may be able to work it to pay the diff. in the 2 types and he will keep it on the dl and do it for ya. Good luck man. I think it's do-able
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
When I hit a deer with my Dakota R/T I just told the insurance agency which body shop I wanted to use. They estimated the cost of repairs and sent the body shop a check for the amount. I went to the body shop and asked if there's a way he could work things out so that I could get a ram air hood to replace the stock hood. So he replaced the hood with a fiberglass ram air hood. Just tell them you want the factory grill/assembly replaced with a factory cs assembly. If it's all about the same price I'm sure they'll do it. You can even have the insurance place cut you a check. Just tell them you're gonna repair it yourself. I did that once also. My gf at the times grandfathers house burned and it put tiny black specs from the ashes in my paint. So I had them cut me a check and me and a friend did a custom flame paint job with the money instead of letting a body shop charge the same price for a normal paint job.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Minor Wreck this AM - Any tips for getting shops to use aftermarket parts for rep

So I went back to the road where the object came loose and did most of the damage ... this was laying nearby. It's hard to believe it didn't do more damage! I think the only reason it didn't was that I was going relatively slow, ~35MPH.

Name:	Debris_1.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	581.9 KB
ID:	48046

My foot for size reference...

Name:	Debris_2.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	48047

Makes me wonder what kind of damage I can't see yet
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Dang your lucky, well not really but it looks like it coulda been way worse. One rock and i needed a new fender, course i was doing like 70..
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5 View Post
Dang your lucky, well not really but it looks like it coulda been way worse. One rock and i needed a new fender, course i was doing like 70..
Yeah, could have been MUCH worse. I'm VERY lucky that it got lodged in there and hung on until I was going much slower. If that would have come through the windshield I probably wouldn't be typing this ...
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Yeah, could have been MUCH worse. I'm VERY lucky that it got lodged in there and hung on until I was going much slower. If that would have come through the windshield I probably wouldn't be typing this ...
No kidding, glad you're ok brother

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
All depends on insurance. But let them do estimate and cut you the check. Then take to body shop and have them order the parts you want. You can usually get the parts cheaper then they can.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
All depends on insurance. But let them do estimate and cut you the check. Then take to body shop and have them order the parts you want. You can usually get the parts cheaper then they can.
Wasn't really an option to do it that way. I had to have it towed from my client's parking lot and I live about 25 miles from where the tie rod gave out.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

You need to check local truck repair shops and find that truck that threw the driveshaft. He is responsible for your damage! Find him and make a police report. Things like that don't just fall off. It's the truckers job to pre trip his truck every time he starts his day and that includes checking the yolk of the driveshaft. I check mine everyday. I don't want to be the cause of damaging someones car or worse yet, someone or some family not making it home. He needs to be aware of what his carelessness has done. Btw, when they change the tie rod, be sure they replace the inner and outer tie rods to be on the safe side.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
You need to check local truck repair shops and find that truck that threw the driveshaft. He is responsible for your damage! Find him and make a police report. Things like that don't just fall off. It's the truckers job to pre trip his truck every time he starts his day and that includes checking the yolk of the driveshaft. I check mine everyday. I don't want to be the cause of damaging someones car or worse yet, someone or some family not making it home. He needs to be aware of what his carelessness has done. Btw, when they change the tie rod, be sure they replace the inner and outer tie rods to be on the safe side.
I can't prove that this is the piece of debris that damaged my car, nor do I have any hope of finding him. I'm just taking a big one up the *** here and I've pretty much come to terms with it. The copious amount of whiskey I'll drink after work will help with the coping process.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ill drink one for ya tonight
Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

You're far more level headed than I. I woulda been out for blood! When a fruit truck forced me out of my lane and into another car you better believe I pulled that guy out of his truck and showed him what he caused and his insurance paid for it too even though he didn't even hit me.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
You're far more level headed than I. I woulda been out for blood! When a fruit truck forced me out of my lane and into another car you better believe I pulled that guy out of his truck and showed him what he caused and his insurance paid for it too even though he didn't even hit me.
If I had known how ****ed up my car was on the highway ... we might have been having a similar incident. I really didn't think there was any damage and had already created a complete cluster**** on the highway by my brakestand trying to not hit anything. I just wanted to get back to a safe distance and speed from the rest of traffic and get to work on time.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Holy crap, sorry to hear that, glad to hear you are okay. Hopefully you can get the GT/CS...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Absolutely correct. Similar thing happened to me. Semi vs. S10. I sued the truck co.(small claims). A lot of b.s. But they ended up cutting me a check for repairs. Save u the $500 deduct
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The car was (finally) appraised today and the damages come in at $2974.77.

I also had the shop look in to ordering the GT/CS valence but it would cost me $200 out of pocket to get it. The cheapest that Ford would sell it to them for was $250 and the insurance company is only paying $50 for the GT lower valence. I'm probably going to go ahead and pass on it for that price, I'm stinging pretty hard from the $500 deductible that I have to pay as is ...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

That sucks

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some places will just take the amt insurance gave you and let you pay the extra for new parts~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
some places will just take the amt insurance gave you and let you pay the extra for new parts~
That's what they're doing ... so I would have to pay $200 for the $250 GT/CS valence. Somehow they can order the GT valence for $50, but the GT/CS can't be ordered that way even though it's an OEM part.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
The car was (finally) appraised today and the damages come in at $2974.77.

I also had the shop look in to ordering the GT/CS valence but it would cost me $200 out of pocket to get it. The cheapest that Ford would sell it to them for was $250 and the insurance company is only paying $50 for the GT lower valence. I'm probably going to go ahead and pass on it for that price, I'm stinging pretty hard from the $500 deductible that I have to pay as is ...
That sucks, no way they could find one at a junkyard or something...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
That sucks, no way they could find one at a junkyard or something...
This shop wouldn't use anything but new parts.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This shop wouldn't use anything but new parts.
That sucks even worse...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sucks even worse...
I don't know that it's a bad thing.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know that it's a bad thing.
No it isn't, they are going to but it back together again using stock parts. But any chance to upgrade is a plus, it's just a shame the shop won't work with you.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No it isn't, they are going to but it back together again using stock parts. But any chance to upgrade is a plus, it's just a shame the shop won't work with you.
What do you mean? They're more than willing to work with me and would give me credit for the money the insurance company paid toward the GT valence if I decided to get the GT/CS valence. They just can't order the part for less than $250, that's what FORD is charging them for it.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Glad u r good to go and u r alive. That is ridiculous and I still can't figure out what that is that broke off the semi.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
Glad u r good to go and u r alive. That is ridiculous and I still can't figure out what that is that broke off the semi.
It's a jack shaft... connects the front and rear driveshafts. At least that's what I was told by a mechanic friend. It's heavy as fawk... surprised it didn't do more damage. Looks like it did take out my AC condenser though since it's being replaced per the estimate.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you mean? They're more than willing to work with me and would give me credit for the money the insurance company paid toward the GT valence if I decided to get the GT/CS valence. They just can't order the part for less than $250, that's what FORD is charging them for it.
By using a used part versus new. I guess it comes down to liability with using used parts.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
By using a used part versus new. I guess it comes down to liability with using used parts.
I really don't want used parts from unknown origins on my car anyways ...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really don't want used parts from unknown origins on my car anyways ...
True, good point.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Talked to the shop today, engine cradle is damaged also and they are recommending a replacement. Wheel also has minor damage. Bad times.

Name:	image-3372247339.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	49862
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Talked to the shop today, engine cradle is damaged also and they are recommending a replacement. Wheel also has minor damage. Bad times.

Attachment 49862
Geez, sorry to hear that man...I know this has to be killing you...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT