Clutch replacement #4 cyl misfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Clutch replacement #4 cyl misfire

So while I was on vacation I had my clutch replaced by a shop in my 2011 mustang gt. I just got back started it up and 2 problems occurred. 3 error codes showed up as #4 cylinder misfiring. I also have an exhaust leak off one of my manifolds. I did a visual inspection and verified the coils are attached to the plugs I did not verify the other ends however. What are the common idiot checks I can do since the shop couldn't return it right to me? Don't worry I will be calling the shop tomorrow to resolve this but I was wondering if there could be some easy fix since I don't know what they could have done with clutch work to cause a number 4 cylinder misfire. Thanks and my apologizes for being a ghost lately.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Clutch replacement #4 cyl misfire

What they could've done is rag your car out by high-revving constantly while it was in the shop... I used to work at a body shop and when nice loud cars came in they were always high-revved and not treated too great.

They shouldn't have touched the engine if they were simply replacing the clutch. The most they would've done is to remove the TOB on the side of the engine. >.>;

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
We've been through this before. They need to relearn the flywheel or crank position sensor (don't remember which) after replacing the clutch. If you run a search you'll find a couple threads with all the info.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So is the only option to straighten this out a dealer or can this be added to a custom tune?

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
So is the only option to straighten this out a dealer or can this be added to a custom tune?
It's not a tune issue from what I understand. I would assume any shop that is competent in working with transmissions should be able to do it, but I'm not sure what the process entails.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

It is not a tune issue. And yes basically only ones that can do that relearn is the dealer. Heck just tell them it pops up and t hey will do the relearn anyway.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I understand now thanks. It's essentially built in the firmware of the computer. So with that the loading of tunes does not effect it.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's a manual transmission what is there to relearn. There's no adaptive memory for a CKP or a flywheel sensor which would be the same type of sensor either a magnetic sensor, hall effect, optical or magneto resistive. So what y'all are telling him makes no sense. What does make since is that they probably drove the balls off of your car.
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182
It's a manual transmission what is there to relearn. There's no adaptive memory for a CKP or a flywheel sensor which would be the same type of sensor either a magnetic sensor, hall effect, optical or magneto resistive. So what y'all are telling him makes no sense. What does make since is that they probably drove the balls off of your car.
They prolly know what they're talking about more so than yourself.. If you have a question on an 11-12 5.0 wnt2gofst has had two of them and races with several of them pretty much every week as far as I know.. If he doesnt know I can just about guarantee he will find it out..
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I guess my ASE certifications dont mean anything since I don't race. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes im just saying what they said doesn't make sense and just because you can bolt on parts and "race" doesn't make you an expert on automotive. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about I don't know everything but when I do write somthing it's because I know about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, well here is an update so far, they reloaded the software in the ecu and then they said they conducted the crank reset, however after an hour and a half of driving the check engine light can't back on. I got 2 more error codes one was a random misfire, the other one was a #4 cylinder misfire. They didn't have time to look at it again until Tuesday so that is where I am left at until then. So what next is the dealer did tell me they had another software update they wanted to do. I can tell u by driving the car that I am not really having a misfire issue, the engine is running on all 8 cylinders so if the software only errors out on a sensor error, then it is either a sensor or a fault in the software. Agree? Disagree? Discuss!!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Ok I guess my ASE certifications dont mean anything since I don't race. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes im just saying what they said doesn't make sense and just because you can bolt on parts and "race" doesn't make you an expert on automotive. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about I don't know everything but when I do write somthing it's because I know about it.
I never said you dont know what your talking about.. Just that mainly he prolly knows a considerable amount more than you when it comes to 11-12 5.0s.. After you've been on here as long as I have you'll figure that out.. He's pretty much the go to guy on the forum.. There are PLENTY of ASE certified mechanics and whatever other certifications that know very very little about a '11+ 5.0s...

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I never said you dont know what your talking about.. Just that mainly he prolly knows a considerable amount more than you when it comes to 11-12 5.0s.. After you've been on here as long as I have you'll figure that out.. He's pretty much the go to guy on the forum.. There are PLENTY of ASE certified mechanics and whatever other certifications that know very very little about a '11+ 5.0s...
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong cuz I don't know enough about it.. I'm not certified it sh*t lol.. But given the car is hitting on all cylinders it's gotta be a sensor or tuning/software issue..
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Alright, well here is an update so far, they reloaded the software in the ecu and then they said they conducted the crank reset, however after an hour and a half of driving the check engine light can't back on. I got 2 more error codes one was a random misfire, the other one was a #4 cylinder misfire. They didn't have time to look at it again until Tuesday so that is where I am left at until then. So what next is the dealer did tell me they had another software update they wanted to do. I can tell u by driving the car that I am not really having a misfire issue, the engine is running on all 8 cylinders so if the software only errors out on a sensor error, then it is either a sensor or a fault in the software. Agree? Disagree? Discuss!!
Could be sensor. Or the computer. They ended up replacing my computer.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182 View Post
I will say you don't have no clue what you are talking about and yoru ASE Cert means jack. Any one can study a book and take a test. And Being i have had the ASE books I knwo they don't cover **** with teh Modular engines. And these was teh latest books. And my buddy just used them to get certified.

Right from Ford's TSB's and Oasis
21474 SOME VEHICLES COULD EXHIBIT MISFIRE CODES AFTER CERTAIN REPAIRS - MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ON BOARD DIAGNSTICS (OBD) MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE LEARNING CAPABILITIES MAY EXPERIENCE THE MIL ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE ENGINE MISFIRE CODES P030X IF THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) IS NOT RELEARNED FOLLOWING CERTAIN HARD ENGINE REPAIRS. THE MP_LRN DATA IS NO LONGER CLEARED WITH A KAM RESET OR BATTERY DISCONNECT. REPAIRS THAT REQUIRE RELEARNING THE MP_LRN DATA: CRANK SENSOR,CRANK SENSOR, TRIGGER WHEEL, ENGINE TIMING, DAMPER, CRANKSHAFT, ENGINE, FLYWHEEL/FLEXPLATE, CLUTCH (MANUAL TRANS), PRESSURE PLATE (MANUAL TRANS),TORQUE CONVERTER (AUTO TRANS). FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/26/2010

1463 2010-2011 5.0L/6.2L - MISFIRE CODES P0300-P0316
SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.0L ENGINE AND 2010 F150 AND 2011 SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.2L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0300 THROUGH P0316. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) BE RELEARNED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS FOR THESE CODES. FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS. IF ONE OR MORE OF THE MISFIRE CODES RETURN AFTER PERFORMING THE RELEARN PROCEDURE, REFER TO THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/17/2010

ALso guess all thee people to include me know not what we are talking about.
WWW.S197FORUM.COM
WWW.S197FORUM.COM
WWW.S197FORUM.COM
WWW.S197FORUM.COM
WWW.S197FORUM.COM
Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry didn't know you would get your feelings hurt by words on the Internet and thanks for proving my point that the CKP doesn't have adaptive strategies the PCM does.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Sorry didn't know you would get your feelings hurt by words on the Internet and thanks for proving my point that the CKP doesn't have adaptive strategies the PCM does.
Fact is you said basically had nothing to do.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
So while I was on vacation I had my clutch replaced by a shop in my 2011 mustang gt. I just got back started it up and 2 problems occurred. 3 error codes showed up as #4 cylinder misfiring. I also have an exhaust leak off one of my manifolds. I did a visual inspection and verified the coils are attached to the plugs I did not verify the other ends however. What are the common idiot checks I can do since the shop couldn't return it right to me? Don't worry I will be calling the shop tomorrow to resolve this but I was wondering if there could be some easy fix since I don't know what they could have done with clutch work to cause a number 4 cylinder misfire. Thanks and my apologizes for being a ghost lately.

Glad to see you back online. Sorry to hear about the Pony, you must be going nuts...

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I had a friend take it back to the dealer again today. So we will see this time around if the dealer has success. The other reason for my urgency is because I want to get my headers and supercharger installed this weekend and I am not making that move until the check engine lights r clear. Anyway thanks its great to be back.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Road Trip!

BLOWER MMMMM POWA!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

YES!!! Exactly right, then I will be blown on my car and my truck, although its easy with a truck since it is diesel. Check Engine light is clear again...they said they found the procedure i told them to do yesterday when i came in. So i think the problem will remain solved now

Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
YES!!! Exactly right, then I will be blown on my car and my truck, although its easy with a truck since it is diesel. Check Engine light is clear again...they said they found the procedure i told them to do yesterday when i came in. So i think the problem will remain solved now
Good to hear. Look forward to pics of the new mods.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A few pics as promised however it is still sitting there until they get the right tune to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3629161222.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	50324   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-905108081.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	50325  

Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A few pics as promised however it is still sitting there until they get the right tune to me.
Looks great! That STB just barely clears, doesn't look like it could be any closer.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fracking Awesome!!! Looks great!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Looks great! That STB just barely clears, doesn't look like it could be any closer.
Yeah that's the truth. It barely clears the 123 mm air intake but the stb will cover up to a 2.9L whipple and it is sold by steeda. As far as I know it is the only strut tower brace sold that will fit a Mustang GT modded with an sc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
Fracking Awesome!!! Looks great!!!
Thanks bud, now only if they could get the tune right i would have driven it into work today. Right now its just the most beautiful paper weight I have ever seen

Old 05-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that's the truth. It barely clears the 123 mm air intake but the stb will cover up to a 2.9L whipple and it is sold by steeda. As far as I know it is the only strut tower brace sold that will fit a Mustang GT modded with an sc.

Thanks bud, now only if they could get the tune right i would have driven it into work today. Right now its just the most beautiful paper weight I have ever seen
GT500 STB will fit as well what I have in mine.

LOL that is expensive.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

that's cool i didn't manage to find one of those.

Yeah expensive to say the least lol, just can't wait to get the tune loaded so i can put all my woes asside. I put new exhaust, a new aluminum drive line and a supercharger in and haven't been able to test any of them out yet to make sure they don't need to be tweaked.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that's cool i didn't manage to find one of those.

Yeah expensive to say the least lol, just can't wait to get the tune loaded so i can put all my woes asside. I put new exhaust, a new aluminum drive line and a supercharger in and haven't been able to test any of them out yet to make sure they don't need to be tweaked.
Nice some great mods. I'm guessing the drive line is drive shaft? I'm curious to know what you think of that when you get her all up and running.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I will definitely let u know it just looks better being a one piece plus no carrier bearing. Yes it is an aluminum drive shaft from American muscle.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will definitely let u know it just looks better being a one piece plus no carrier bearing. Yes it is an aluminum drive shaft from American muscle.
Great. I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd

Great. I'll have to check it out.
Just to let u know the driveshaft is amazingly smooth. No vibrations minimal moving parts compared to the stock one and just plain looks better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT