Steeda Shifter Concern - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: California
Steeda Shifter Concern

I installed a Steeda Tri-Ax about three months ago, and all was good until yesterday. While driving home, I noticed that the spring was no longer holding the shifter in the up position. Not sure what happened, but none the less, I replaced it with the stock shifter; now onto the good and bad.
It’s amazing how much smoother the shifting is now that I replaced the Steeda with the stocker. I recently changed the stock transmission fluid with Royal Purple, and it made a noticeable difference with the Steeda; it makes an even bigger improvement with the stock shifter. It is important to note that I had changed out the shifter bracket when installing the Tri-Ax. I didn’t notice that much of an improvement when I first installed the Steeda, but I can sure noticed a difference swapping back to the stocker. Best way I can describe it is the stock shifter is sloppy and spongy. The Steeda is firm and the side-to-side throw is a lot less compared to stock.
I wasn’t sure what shifter to choose when looking, and that is why I am writing this today. The Tri-Ax is a great looking shifter, but I cannot endorse their product after what happened to mine. It does make a difference, but after returning to stock, I would say that it is not a precise shifter. The slight grinds and notchy feel are all but eliminated now, and I prefer to deal with slop versus grinding or a notchy feel. I am not here to bad mouth Steeda, as I am sure they would replace the shifter if I were to ask. If I swap it out again, it will be with a Barton or MGW.

2016 Mustang GT
drivinglesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: North Carolina
Wink Re: Steeda Shifter Concern

I am going MGW for sure.They have mastered it man.From what I hear it is dependable,performs perfect and made awesome quality wise.I think barton is the only other option if we want one worth a sh*t.Keep us posted man.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT