Oil Change? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Oil Change?

What oil does everyone recommend? I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it. My first oil change is free, but I don't know if their's is the best oil to use.
lilredgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Amsoil for the win...
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Re: Oil Change?

I actually have Ford's prepaid maintenance so I have just been using motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic for 30k now and it's worked great for me. Many people on here love amsoil, and it sounds great. never used the stuff though. I currently have RP (royal purple) in my tranny and it has made a world of difference. RP has made me a believer!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

I run Amsoil in mine.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Amsoil signature series 5w30 with an ea oil filter here.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Royal Purple 5W20

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I actually have Ford's prepaid maintenance so I have just been using motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic for 30k now and it's worked great for me. Many people on here love amsoil, and it sounds great. never used the stuff though. I currently have RP (royal purple) in my tranny and it has made a world of difference. RP has made me a believer!!
You guys have the T56, right?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Castrol Synthetic GTX!
Scott1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Royal Purple 5W20

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

You guys have the T56, right?
MT82

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I use the oil squeezed from the horns of ten unicorns. Only the best for my car! Ha ha
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Amsoil signature series 5w 20
michael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

MT82
Getrag, forgot this change happened. Have you experienced the issues people have been talking about?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Getrag, forgot this change happened. Have you experienced the issues people have been talking about?
Talk about smacking the hornets neat with a stick... Prepare for the descent into chaos that will soon be upon us.

By the way, yes, I have experienced problems with the MT82.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Talk about smacking the hornets neat with a stick... Prepare for the descent into chaos that will soon be upon us.

By the way, yes, I have experienced problems with the MT82.
Ha! Didn't mean to do that, but I will enjoy non the less.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I am no high roller, so I just use Mobile 1 synthetic and a quality filter. Stay away from the 5w 20 oils, they are used to improve fuel mileage over the fleet. 10w 30 or 10w 40 depending on summer temps. Oh, and I never see it suggested to shake the oil on here. If you use any synthetic oil you must shake it. These oils have a lot of additives including an anti-foaming agent; separation will occur, so shaking is a must. Again, nothing against those who pay $150 per oil change, but that's not for me. I have always used Mobile one, and change at discoloration (2000-3000 miles).
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson
I am no high roller, so I just use Mobile 1 synthetic and a quality filter. Stay away from the 5w 20 oils, they are used to improve fuel mileage over the fleet. 10w 30 or 10w 40 depending on summer temps. Oh, and I never see it suggested to shake the oil on here. If you use any synthetic oil you must shake it. These oils have a lot of additives including an anti-foaming agent; separation will occur, so shaking is a must. Again, nothing against those who pay $150 per oil change, but that's not for me. I have always used Mobile one, and change at discoloration (2000-3000 miles).
I use Mobile 1 ATF in my TR-3650. I think Mobile 1 makes some good oil. So you are using 10W-30 & 40 in your Stang? What is your climate like where you live? Indiana for me. I heard you are not supposed to use anything other than 5W-20 in the modular engines.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Aside from the clunky shifting, none at all. Rolled over 30k today and zero tranny issues!!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I use Mobile 1 ATF in my TR-3650. I think Mobile 1 makes some good oil. So you are using 10W-30 & 40 in your Stang? What is your climate like where you live? Indiana for me. I heard you are not supposed to use anything other than 5W-20 in the modular engines.
That's what i've been reading also. I also read that switching brands was a bad idea, so I want to start out using whatever is best.
lilredgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Aside from the clunky shifting, none at all. Rolled over 30k today and zero tranny issues!!!!
This is good
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredgt

That's what i've been reading also. I also read that switching brands was a bad idea, so I want to start out using whatever is best.
Mobil1 is pretty good. It's really all I'll ever buy, besides the RP in my tranny and the motorcraft that comes with my prepaid maintenance

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Quote:

This is good
Yea I worry about her constantly and over exaggerate everything in my head but still running very solid

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mobil1 is pretty good. It's really all I'll ever buy, besides the RP in my tranny and the motorcraft that comes with my prepaid maintenance
Mobil1 is ok. Better than most other conventional oils, but not nearly as good as true synthetics.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Mobil1 is ok. Better than most other conventional oils, but not nearly as good as true synthetics.
Yea I'm following you, but for half the price I'll gladly stick with mobil1

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

So, I've been trying not to fall for the shaking oil thing that drivinglessons suggested, yet here I go. If this was true, wouldn't we see separations or layers in the fluid when it has set for a while?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I have never heard of shaking the oil

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in Alabama, and it's hot as Hell here. Imagine living in an armpit, that's what it is like here. Due to a milder winter than most areas, and hot summers, I use 10w 30 most of the time, and 10w 40 only in the hottest months. I did a lot of research on 5w 20 when I had my 03 Cobra, and found a great write up on the different viscosities of oil. They use 5w 20 because of the decreased resistance to achieve the fuel economy ratings over the whole fleet. Meaning, one car won't make a difference, but when you look at 250,000, it can mean an extra mile or two per gallon. The article was an unbiased consumer report article. I am a mechanic by trade, and have used a lot of different oils. For me, Mobile 1 is a good product at a decent price. With a decent filter, it still costs me $65-$70 per oil change, but I feel more comfortable changing my oil more frequently. I think Amsoil is good for 10,000 plus miles between changes, but I am a 3,000 mile guy. Oh, and plus 1 on the Royal Purple in the MT-82 transmission; amazing improvement.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I'm in Alabama, and it's hot as Hell here. Imagine living in an armpit, that's what it is like here. Due to a milder winter than most areas, and hot summers, I use 10w 30 most of the time, and 10w 40 only in the hottest months. I did a lot of research on 5w 20 when I had my 03 Cobra, and found a great write up on the different viscosities of oil. They use 5w 20 because of the decreased resistance to achieve the fuel economy ratings over the whole fleet. Meaning, one car won't make a difference, but when you look at 250,000, it can mean an extra mile or two per gallon. The article was an unbiased consumer report article. I am a mechanic by trade, and have used a lot of different oils. For me, Mobile 1 is a good product at a decent price. With a decent filter, it still costs me $65-$70 per oil change, but I feel more comfortable changing my oil more frequently. I think Amsoil is good for 10,000 plus miles between changes, but I am a 3,000 mile guy. Oh, and plus 1 on the Royal Purple in the MT-82 transmission; amazing improvement.
I seen a few around here use 5W-30 in the summer, but that's about it for modulars. I'm timid and changing just because what I've heard about tolerances in the modulars. Ya know, now that you mention it, it does seem like we're in an armpit here in Indiana during July & August.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You will see the shaking on the higher end oils. I am a jet mechanic and we use an aviation Mobile 1 that costs $35 per quart and use 40 quarts per engine. I didn't see the shaking tip on the car oil, so I called Mobile 1. It was kind of funny actually, the tech guy I talked to said you should always shake the oil. I told him that he should put that on the bottle because most people wouldn't know that, but whatever. Haven't you guys ever used break-free to clean guns? The Teflon settles at the bottom and you can see it as a white substance: same principal. Now don't be worried if you never shake your oil, as i am not trying to worry anyone. Food for thought, try getting in the habit of shaking your oil to properly mix it. If you don't buy it, don't do it.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote:
So, I've been trying not to fall for the shaking oil thing that drivinglessons suggested, yet here I go. If this was true, wouldn't we see separations or layers in the fluid when it has set for a while?
Exactly correct. Buy an extra quart, pour it in a glass and let it sit for a day. Depending on the oil, you will see the separation. Like someone else noted, mobile 1 isn't a true full synthetic, but you will still see the separation. More so with higher end like Amsoil. BTW, Amsoil is great stuff, just too expensive for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
You will see the shaking on the higher end oils. I am a jet mechanic and we use an aviation Mobile 1 that costs $35 per quart and use 40 quarts per engine. I didn't see the shaking tip on the car oil, so I called Mobile 1. It was kind of funny actually, the tech guy I talked to said you should always shake the oil. I told him that he should put that on the bottle because most people wouldn't know that, but whatever. Haven't you guys ever used break-free to clean guns? The Teflon settles at the bottom and you can see it as a white substance: same principal. Now don't be worried if you never shake your oil, as i am not trying to worry anyone. Food for thought, try getting in the habit of shaking your oil to properly mix it. If you don't buy it, don't do it.
We always used bluing oil for our guns, but I'm talking 12GA, etc. Not sure about hand guns or other types, though.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Now I want to shoot some guns. I know, maybe I will just shoot some quarts of oil... The one that blows up the best is the winner. I am sure your engine will love whatever you choose. Just stick with a name brand and pay extra for a good oil filter. I have known people who canged there oil, but did not change their filter at every oil change; don't do that.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Now I want to shoot some guns. I know, maybe I will just shoot some quarts of oil... The one that blows up the best is the winner. I am sure your engine will love whatever you choose. Just stick with a name brand and pay extra for a good oil filter. I have known people who canged there oil, but did not change their filter at every oil change; don't do that.
Nope, always do that. In fact, after a little over 1,000 miles from my oil change, the oil looked dirty to me. I changed it again, including filter. I used K&N brand, but plan on ordering Royal Purple filter for the next change. Dunno why they don't have RP oil filters at O'Reilly Auto.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

It's all anout cost. Kind of like good beer, the majority of people would rather pay less for Bud than drink real beer.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
It's all anout cost. Kind of like good beer, the majority of people would rather pay less for Bud than drink real beer.
Most of us country boys consider Bud real beer.. Not bc of price but bc of taste.. I prefer a bud or even miller lite over a Sam Adams or whatever any day..
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #32
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

mmmm budweiser

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I use to feel that way too.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Bud light is just a good beer just like non synthetic oil but real beer is great beer like full synthetic oil... summer shandy is a great beer but I drink it when I'm not buying my oil change lol
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Royal Purple's oil filter is the best performing filter you can buy, pair that with a real full synthetic and you are doing well. Royal Purple or Redline for oil in my stang, or the extended performance M1 that is a good oil as well.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Nope, always do that. In fact, after a little over 1,000 miles from my oil change, the oil looked dirty to me. I changed it again, including filter. I used K&N brand, but plan on ordering Royal Purple filter for the next change. Dunno why they don't have RP oil filters at O'Reilly Auto.
Royal Purple Filters at good prices and good oil eurosyntheticoils.com. family place, like the people
GrabberBlue305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT