Strut top mounts. GT vs. GT500 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Strut top mounts. GT vs. GT500

Any difference between the front top strut mounts on a GT500 then that of a GT? About to put eibach springs in and buddy of mine gave me Shelby top mounts from a 2010 GT500. Told me the rubber in the Shelby mounts is stiffer than the GT mounts. Should I stick with my oem mounts or go with the Shelby's?
tea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered the GT500 mounts along with the eibach springs and struts... they weren't compatible, I had to reuse the factory GT mounts...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thats correct, they are not compatible. If you are careful removing your springs you can re use the originals. If not, they are about 40.00 each through Ford.
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Nope not compatible
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks guys
tea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Strut top mounts. GT vs. GT500

They are compatible (and required) for the FRPP struts though. That is the main reason that Ford sells them. I believe that they are also compatible/required if using struts designed for an 05-10 stang rather than an 11-14.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I am going this Friday to have my Eibach Pro System Lowering Kit and Ford Racing GT500 strut mounts put on my 2012 Mustang GT. I also bought a J & M Adjustable Panhard bar just in case. Are these not compatible?????

Eibach Part #35125.780
Ford GT500 Mounts Part #M-18183-C
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone???????
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I put eibach pro springs but stayed with stock struts. Nothing other than springs and bump stops. Also installed an adjustable Panhard bar. Love the setup but if you change to eibach struts you're in unfamiliar territory to me.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I went ahead and opened the boxes and they do not work together. I am just going to reuse the factory mounts.

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat
I went ahead and opened the boxes and they do not work together. I am just going to reuse the factory mounts.

Thanks for the replies
Yeah, they are designed for 05-10 or frpp struts, the 11-13 struts are different and don't work. We've discussed that many times, could have saved yourself a major headache by searching...
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I unfortunately searched for months and even posted what I was going to buy on a few different forums asking for opinions!!!!! This forum is the first one where I actually saw that they were not compatible. The worst part is one of the largest Mustang vendors sold them to me together after I called in with questions. I then called yesterday to get a return authorization and the salesperson said that they were compatible! Luckily I am only out the return shipping. I honestly would have went with caster/camber plates if I would have known this up front but these things are getting installed tomorrow so they will be reusing the factory mounts.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Caster camber plates require cutting strut towers and I don't like that idea. I've had my springs on for a little while and haven't had an alignment done yet. I've heard some people say camber bolts were necessary and some say nothing was needed. I'm going to go in without anything and go from there.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Did not realize that cutting was involved. In that case, I am glad I did not go that route. The ride is way too new to be cutting on it! Only around 700 miles... We shall see once they are on how it does.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I don't mind shelling out the extra dough if necessary but I'd return to stock before I cut my towers. No cutting. I don't own it yet, still have 40 payments. Lol
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang View Post
Caster camber plates require cutting strut towers and I don't like that idea. I've had my springs on for a little while and haven't had an alignment done yet. I've heard some people say camber bolts were necessary and some say nothing was needed. I'm going to go in without anything and go from there.
Never heard of this, nor seen it in the install directions for C/C plates. Pretty sure the MM ones bolt right in.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I have Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates on my Eibach ProDamper strut and ProKit spring equipped 2011 GT. I did, like many of you, order the
GT500 strut mounts only to find out they would not fit (not only will they not fit the Eibach struts, they won't fit the factory struts either). I ordered them from AM and encountered no problems with getting a return authorization. Various folks on this and other forums had told me that the factory strut mounts were going to go to crap after being reinstalled, and they were correct- I had very annoying popping noises from the front corners, particularly when turning corners, so the first mod I did this spring was to have the MM C/C Plates installed- problem solved! Front end is quiet again and definitely feels tighter- and to somebody's earlier post, there is no cutting required to install these. I was having trouble deciding between MM's plates and the Steeda strut mounts, but the fact that the MM plates allow camber and caster adjustments from above swayed me their direction.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Got the Pro System installed today and it looks and rides great. They ran a little long on the install so I did not have time to get the alignment done so that will be done next week (I can see that the camber is negative). They were able to re use the existing strut mounts and I cannot hear anything. I rolled the windows down and made sharp turns and hit large bumps. If it becomes a problem in the future, I will just upgrade to the C/C plates.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, I gotta tell you, my factory strut mounts didn't become junk immediately after the strut replacement either- but it didn't take too long (maybe a month) before I started going, "what in the heck is that noise"...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Never heard of this, nor seen it in the install directions for C/C plates. Pretty sure the MM ones bolt right in.
I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. I definitely don't want to give out the wrong info. Maybe some cc plates require cutting?? Sorry for the misinformation. Might have to look into them as I have some noises coming from the front corners now.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang View Post
I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. I definitely don't want to give out the wrong info. Maybe some cc plates require cutting?? Sorry for the misinformation. Might have to look into them as I have some noises coming from the front corners now.
"The problem with information on the internet is that you cant always depend on it's accuracy"

-Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. But it has to be true if you read it on the Internet - quote from my 9 year old. He's right you know !!! Ha ha
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski
yeah, I gotta tell you, my factory strut mounts didn't become junk immediately after the strut replacement either- but it didn't take too long (maybe a month) before I started going, "what in the heck is that noise"...
I reused the factory mounts and its been since August and 3k miles later and they're solid... no issues whatsoever
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Good to hear- dint be surprised if and when they crap out in you.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I reused the factory mounts and its been since August and 3k miles later and they're solid... no issues whatsoever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post
Good to hear- dint be surprised if and when they crap out in you.
I re-used mine and I'm sure that I'm on borrowed time. When they go out it will just give me an excuse to upgrade.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have went out and looked at my car a few times since having it lowered. The negative camber is really noticeable. I guess I am going to go ahead and grab some camber bolts to have when it is aligned next week. I see the Eibach ($25) ones correct up to 1.75 degrees and the BMR ($45) ones correct up to 2 degrees. Do you guys think that any half way decent alignment shop can do this or should I drive the hour back to the alignment shop near the place that did the installation?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I re-used mine and I'm sure that I'm on borrowed time. When they go out it will just give me an excuse to upgrade.
Wow I figured if they went on correct they would stay good, I guess once I start hearing noises then that's what the problem is...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT