Who has installed the Premium lighted door sils on a base GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
Who has installed the Premium lighted door sils on a base GT?

I picked up a set of 2012 premium lighted door sils taken from a new Roush conversion. I am trying to see what needs to be done to install them on a 2012 base GT. Is the wiring there or do you have to wire it, if you have to wire them I'm looking for some best practices/advice in doing so. Thanks - Mike
5.0MustangMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Found this for ya

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...with-pics.html
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've installed some illuminated door sills on my base 2010 V6. the way I have mine installed is speaker wire going up through the side pillars and into the dome light wiring. Its important to take your time popping out the pillars and sills. It took me about an hour to install both. Not sure what door sills you have but I was able to choose what color I wanted mine to light up by connecting it to a 9v batterie and using different wire combinations to set it to blue aa we don't have the wiring harness or mycolor feature.
Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Here's some pics of them

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120510_194248.png
Views:	248
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	50019

Name:	ForumRunner_20120510_194329.png
Views:	251
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	50022
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Red face Re: Who has installed the Premium lighted door sils on a base GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
Thanks!! Much appreciated

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue View Post
I've installed some illuminated door sills on my base 2010 V6. the way I have mine installed is speaker wire going up through the side pillars and into the dome light wiring. Its important to take your time popping out the pillars and sills. It took me about an hour to install both. Not sure what door sills you have but I was able to choose what color I wanted mine to light up by connecting it to a 9v batterie and using different wire combinations to set it to blue aa we don't have the wiring harness or mycolor feature.
This is what I was looking for, I was afraid I would have to pull everything. So it really all just comes loose if you pull hard on all of it? No screws holding it in? I have the stock lighted door sils off another 2012 Mustang GT, but with no instructions what so ever. So if I'm understanding it right, I can adjust the color even without having the my color feature using a battery? Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, what I had to do was first pull up the old door sill from one end and then the other. For the door sills it did take a bit of force to pull up as there are four pop out pins attached to the sill and I also think they are stuck down with some tape. Then I took the pillar off by the windshield by pulling out which is also used by pop out clips (not sure what they actually called). It does feel like you might break it but if you just take it easy and gradually increase the pressure when pulling, they will just simply pop out.

I do have a convertible and not sure how much of a difference it is to get to the dome lights for a coupe but i took off my sun visor which has two screws in and and pulled down the plastic along the top and then pulled the dome light panel out by pulling it from behind by the windshield toward you which then pops out.

I then grabbed a long bit of audio cable connect it to the ground and positive in the dome light and ran the cable up and along the over to the pillar then down the pillar, down a little bit of side edging by the air hole in the dash and out down by the door sill connect the new illuminated sill and pushed it back into place ( tested it before to make sure it works )

The only screws where the two in the sun visor.

And yeah I didn't have any instructions, just simply figured it out as I went along!

Now before you do any installing of the sills, you gonna want figure what color you want as you can't change it unless you pop out the sill again and require a different combination. From what I remember it mine had a plug on the end so I cut that off and there was maybe 5 or 6 different cables ( one of them being ground ) and the rest beind all positive to different colors.

I think I found that have all the positive cables on at the same time caused white, but for example 2 positive might change it to green or 3 wires to pink and so on. Just tested it all out on a 9V battery first.

Sorry for the long essay, it's pretty hard to explain without real instructions but there isn't any out there detailed ones for what I bought. Hope this helps!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ForumRunner_20120511_165318.png
Views:	216
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	50174

Door sill Pops put

Name:	ForumRunner_20120511_165332.png
Views:	231
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	50177

plastic edging I think also pops out

Name:	ForumRunner_20120511_165341.png
Views:	200
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	50178

Pillar pops out

Name:	ForumRunner_20120511_165351.png
Views:	224
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	50179

2 screws under the sun visor and purge plastic bit pops out

Name:	ForumRunner_20120511_165418.png
Views:	247
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	50181

Dome light
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Uploaded some pics, trying to make it easier for you to understand what I'm taking about lol.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #9

Re: Who has installed the Premium lighted door sils on a base GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue View Post
Yeah, what I had to do was first pull up the old door sill from one end and then the other. For the door sills it did take a bit of force to pull up as there are four pop out pins attached to the sill and I also think they are stuck down with some tape. Then I took the pillar off by the windshield by pulling out which is also used by pop out clips (not sure what they actually called). It does feel like you might break it but if you just take it easy and gradually increase the pressure when pulling, they will just simply pop out.

I do have a convertible and not sure how much of a difference it is to get to the dome lights for a coupe but i took off my sun visor which has two screws in and and pulled down the plastic along the top and then pulled the dome light panel out by pulling it from behind by the windshield toward you which then pops out.

I then grabbed a long bit of audio cable connect it to the ground and positive in the dome light and ran the cable up and along the over to the pillar then down the pillar, down a little bit of side edging by the air hole in the dash and out down by the door sill connect the new illuminated sill and pushed it back into place ( tested it before to make sure it works )

The only screws where the two in the sun visor.

And yeah I didn't have any instructions, just simply figured it out as I went along!

Now before you do any installing of the sills, you gonna want figure what color you want as you can't change it unless you pop out the sill again and require a different combination. From what I remember it mine had a plug on the end so I cut that off and there was maybe 5 or 6 different cables ( one of them being ground ) and the rest beind all positive to different colors.

I think I found that have all the positive cables on at the same time caused white, but for example 2 positive might change it to green or 3 wires to pink and so on. Just tested it all out on a 9V battery first.

Sorry for the long essay, it's pretty hard to explain without real instructions but there isn't any out there detailed ones for what I bought. Hope this helps!
This is really helpful, thanks for taking the time to type it out and take the pictures. I really appreciate it! I hope to try it tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT