Ford Corp + MT82 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Ford Corp + MT82

Phosphate-coated gears for '13 and that's it. Otherwise same as before. Phosphate coating typically eases break in stress. I remeber they did this on the '93 T5 trans as well, back in the day, as those boxes used to go all jangly and whiney too. I wouldn't draw too much of a conclusion from this though. I think Ford is casting about for cheap solutions to a problem that comes from substandard QC on the bearings in the trans.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

You have after market clutch right
5pointOH2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Phosphate-coated gears for '13 and that's it. Otherwise same as before. Phosphate coating typically eases break in stress. I remeber they did this on the '93 T5 trans as well, back in the day, as those boxes used to go all jangly and whiney too. I wouldn't draw too much of a conclusion from this though. I think Ford is casting about for cheap solutions to a problem that comes from substandard QC on the bearings in the trans.
Sorry but phosphate coated gears isn't all that was changed on the 13 mt-82, that's just all you know about. With all the negative around the mt82 you can bet they fined tuned it alot more that a coating! I test drove a 13 mt82 and I feels like a different tranny compared to how my mt82 ever was! Zero deflection, smoother than when mine was smooth, light clutch, zero play and zero problems under load or turning. So they changed alot more than a coating.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Sorry but phosphate coated gears isn't all that was changed on the 13 mt-82, that's just all you know about. With all the negative around the mt82 you can bet they fined tuned it alot more that a coating! I test drove a 13 mt82 and I feels like a different tranny compared to how my mt82 ever was! Zero deflection, smoother than when mine was smooth, light clutch, zero play and zero problems under load or turning. So they changed alot more than a coating.
At least they recognize the issue, now only
If they can tell the dealers to quit being a-holes and fix what's broken
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Sadly, there's people reporting smooth shifting 11s and 12s as well. As I've said, in my opinion, the problem stems from QC around outsourced parts in the trans and as far as i can tell, there's been no steps taken to address that.

If Ford had found the answer (especially if they could pin it on an outside supplier), the word'd be out, just like the phosphate coating word.

2 weeks and counting on my rebuild. I'm going to check in today on the status of the patient.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Yeah I mean mine is not one to focus on because I have a spec stage two and an Mgw short throw shifter installed but I have been paying close attention to it for a week now and I have had no notchy shifting, everything locks in smoothly and I haven't had to force any gears so overall it really has been hit or miss in the issue. Mine was an early 2011 edition built in April 2010

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Since the dealer principal and I got Ford to agree to take the trans apart
for inspection and they discovered a host of self-destructed parts, the car
is still in the shop, has been for 4 days short of a month now as they
gather parts for the rebuild.

When I got a message from the service advisor last week that the final part
was 2 weeks + away still, I called the dealer principal and asked for some
advocacy help. I got a call back later that day, that the last part had been
packaged up and was 3-5 days away now.

So, if all goes according to plan...which I don't necessarily expect it
will, I should have the car end of next week sometime.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did they atleast provide a loaner
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Of course. I insisted. I've been driving the rather "functional" escape for this period.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

You really think so?
I don't know man, yesterday a.m I had a scary issue , felt a grind and resistance going into 3rd and then second.
I can't imagine how bad it is in a 11 or 12
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #46
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Can't believe how long this is taking them!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema

You really think so?
I don't know man, yesterday a.m I had a scary issue , felt a grind and resistance going into 3rd and then second.
I can't imagine how bad it is in a 11 or 12
Spoke to a 13' owner and he has every problem just like many other owners, they didn't "fix" jack ****. Don't believe that guy just cuz he test drove one vehicle with no mileage on it. If our problems existed on the test drive we wouldn't have bought them!

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Quote:

No they didn't, you just test drove a new car, same tranny, same problems.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Mine had rough shifting only in the very cold, otherwise shifting was great. The only symptom I had was at ~3000 kilometers, the trans started making supercharger-like noise.

You think this piece is taking long, you can minimum double it if you add in the time it took me to convince the dealer I actually had a problem.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Mine makes that noise.... =\

I haven't really had any problems shifting, other than one time catching on 3rd gear at WOT. I'm deployed now, so I'll have to have a look when I get back. Should I be concerned by the sound? The last dealer I took it to said it was running fine when they took it out, but then again, they probably would! Lol.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

slight mild noise is not an issue, if you have to turn up the radio to drown it out, you got a problem, guaranteed, based upon my experience, especially if it wasn't there once and appeared suddenly.

good luck getting the dealer to acknowledge anything short of a catastrophic failure is an issue though.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

7000 miles on my 12 Boss and she has started to have issues in 1st. Clutch fully pressed, shift into 1st. Sometimes great, once every 10-15 times grrrrrrrrr. Like its not in all the way. I'm going away for July. I will be bringing it in August. Anyone have any ideas? Aside of garbage tranny
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Put in a Joe Heck hydro clutch line for the clutch, stocker is real light on volume for the application, I'd say especially with a Boss clutch. It's marginal in a GT.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736
7000 miles on my 12 Boss and she has started to have issues in 1st. Clutch fully pressed, shift into 1st. Sometimes great, once every 10-15 times grrrrrrrrr. Like its not in all the way. I'm going away for July. I will be bringing it in August. Anyone have any ideas? Aside of garbage tranny
Alls I can tell you is I have the same exact problem, my personal fix is to let out the clutch SLIGHTLY and it should slide right in. It may be the slave cylinder, weird thing is they replaced mine but it just kept happening probably 10 percent of the time.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sucks! It's a god dam boss!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Put in a Joe Heck hydro clutch line for the clutch, stocker is real light on volume for the application, I'd say especially with a Boss clutch. It's marginal in a GT.
Some guys on another forum have upgraded the clutch line & still have problems. It seems like hit our miss with these tranny's
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sticking in the Boss scoop, as soon as I get this thing back. Anything to help avoid problems again.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sticking in the Boss scoop, as soon as I get this thing back. Anything to help avoid problems again.
Had that installed since day 1. No problems till now.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mmmmm I don't understand? What do I mean?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema

Mmmmm I don't understand? What do I mean?
He's talking about the Laguna seca tranny cooling scoop
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He's talking about the Laguna seca tranny cooling scoop
Ohhhhhhh k thanks I felt lost
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Tell me how to report this to my dealer cause I'm having the same problems with mine! My gears get super rough shifting into first at a stop and shifting from 1rst to second, it's like shifting lego pieces together. Also I hear a super charger sound when in the 3000 rpms to up!
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50
Tell me how to report this to my dealer cause I'm having the same problems with mine! My gears get super rough shifting into first at a stop and shifting from 1rst to second, it's like shifting lego pieces together. Also I hear a super charger sound when in the 3000 rpms to up!
That sounds good. I always ask for the same mechanic & I speak with him directly. The people at the desk in the service dept are not much help. I'll be taking mine in August.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #63
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414

Spoke to a 13' owner and he has every problem just like many other owners, they didn't "fix" jack ****. Don't believe that guy just cuz he test drove one vehicle with no mileage on it. If our problems existed on the test drive we wouldn't have bought them!

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

No they didn't, you just test drove a new car, same tranny, same problems.
Oh I forgot you know everything! I am a mechanic by trade and I have driven probably 10 mt82 stangs, including my own. I know how a new mt82 tranny feels since I bought mine brand new. I am part of a mustang club with 9 mt82 mustangs and 3 new 13 mt82 members. All of which I have driven. I also helped a member tear his mt82 tranny down to inspect for damage and to troubleshoot. I know all there is to know about the mt82 since I tore down and rebuilt one, how is it that you know about them? The Internet? Lol and because a 13 owner on the Internet has a tiny bit of deflection in 2nd and 3rd he has problems and they didn't change anything from 11 to 13? Besides coating? Lol you obviously know nothing about mustangs! I have owned 5 mustangs and all have had some kind of shifting issues, from my fox that I have built with 4 different powertrains to my now 11 mt82 gt. the 11 is by far the smoothest tranny ford has used. Even my 04 terminator's tranny had to be rebuilt 3 times.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Just for the record I drove a buddies '11 5.0 and it shifts like butter.. Not the slightest notch at all.. Car has 20k and hes 19 yrs old and very hard on it.. Some of them are great some of them suck..
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT
Just for the record I drove a buddies '11 5.0 and it shifts like butter.. Not the slightest notch at all.. Car has 20k and hes 19 yrs old and very hard on it.. Some of them are great some of them suck..
Just like all mechanical things! And it has nothing to do with the tranny itself but how and who is putting them together. The mt82 is a great tranny, its the poor quality control at ford that is the problem and I know this from when I tore down the mt82.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh I forgot you know everything! I am a mechanic by trade and I have driven probably 10 mt82 stangs, including my own. I know how a new mt82 tranny feels since I bought mine brand new. I am part of a mustang club with 9 mt82 mustangs and 3 new 13 mt82 members. All of which I have driven. I also helped a member tear his mt82 tranny down to inspect for damage and to troubleshoot. I know all there is to know about the mt82 since I tore down and rebuilt one, how is it that you know about them? The Internet? Lol and because a 13 owner on the Internet has a tiny bit of deflection in 2nd and 3rd he has problems and they didn't change anything from 11 to 13? Besides coating? Lol you obviously know nothing about mustangs! I have owned 5 mustangs and all have had some kind of shifting issues, from my fox that I have built with 4 different powertrains to my now 11 mt82 gt. the 11 is by far the smoothest tranny ford has used. Even my 04 terminator's tranny had to be rebuilt 3 times.
Wow. Ok so I'll take ur word for it!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I stated before, I have a feeling that the slave cylinders are garbage. Just last week I couldn't put my car into any gear. I had to put the car in first, then start the car. Once I started it, the car started to creep forward slowly. Once I got it moving, I was able to shift, but not with the clutch, but by rev matching. Took it straight to the ford dealer. Drove it in third the whole way.. Today I will find out if it will be fixed. They ordered a slave cylinder last week.
Struego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey cool story! I actually know about them because my bud has every single problem I have, just because you consider it normal doesn't mean a thing to me, I'm talking about the clutch sticking to the floor, not being able to engage gears, and overall notchy shifting. Next time don't waste your time telling me about your mustang history... Facts are facts, the clutch/tranny set up sucked as still does, idc about your fox, your terminator, or your current mustang, alls your tellin me is that ford can't get **** right, pretty pathetic on fords part.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine had rough shifting only in the very cold, otherwise shifting was great. The only symptom I had was at ~3000 kilometers, the trans started making supercharger-like noise.

You think this piece is taking long, you can minimum double it if you add in the time it took me to convince the dealer I actually had a problem.
My trams always makes super charger noises even in my 07 v6 they have always have that winding sound I assume it's normal since its been in both of my cars
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone,have this problem and just lived with it? I really put alot time and effort cleaning,it and driving it carefully. So Ive grown attach to it so idk if im willing to trade/sell or let them **** my tranny or replace it and ends up with the same problems. Just wondering if its a must bring back or live with type of situation.
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT