Ford Corp + MT82 - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Car is back on the lift again, as all parts have arrived. dealer claims they will be done by tomorrow night. Updates to follow.
Good luck hoping for the best

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My service dealer was cool enough to make an,appointment to personally see my mt82. Loving ford,now even more!
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Ford Corp + MT82

Car is back and all is well. Car shifts normally, makes only expected MT noises, no issue. Ford fixed it. The dealer billed Ford for about 20 hours of shop time for this one.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Car is back and all is well. Car shifts normally, makes only expected MT noises, no issue. Ford fixed it. The dealer billed Ford for about 20 hours of shop time for this one.
Nice! Gives me hope for when I bring mine in. Glad she's back!
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50 View Post
I thought I knew where that sweet spot was on the clutch so I kept shifting on that spot. Today I tried pushing it all the way down on all shifts thinking maybe I wasn't hitting the right spot and it was somewhat more smoother than when I would shift with the "sweet spots".
No issues with my '13 so far...but years of driving manuals has taught me a few tricks.

Your 'sweet spot' is probably fine for shifting 2-6th, but I always, always have the clutch pedal to the floor when going into first or reverse...I think it has something to do with the engine speed not matching the transmission speed when you're at zero inertia, and I want to make sure the clutch is doing it's job.

For more...interesting shifts (like a downshift into 3rd at highway speed to embarrass a Camaro ) try to use a quick double clutch method, and try to rev match before slamming the gear home. It'll launch you smoother, and maybe causes less stress on the transmission (just a theory?)

And, with enough practice with it, you can probably start shifting gears during normal driving without using the clutch at all via matching revs with your speed. It's a little something my truck driver uncle taught me in my first beater. Apparently shifting can be a ***** in a semi b/c you need to double clutch between every gear, and revmatching is a way to skip all of that. Plus, it amazes friends who struggle with their manuals
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok

No issues with my '13 so far...but years of driving manuals has taught me a few tricks.

Your 'sweet spot' is probably fine for shifting 2-6th, but I always, always have the clutch pedal to the floor when going into first or reverse...I think it has something to do with the engine speed not matching the transmission speed when you're at zero inertia, and I want to make sure the clutch is doing it's job.

For more...interesting shifts (like a downshift into 3rd at highway speed to embarrass a Camaro ) try to use a quick double clutch method, and try to rev match before slamming the gear home. It'll launch you smoother, and maybe causes less stress on the transmission (just a theory?)

And, with enough practice with it, you can probably start shifting gears during normal driving without using the clutch at all via matching revs with your speed. It's a little something my truck driver uncle taught me in my first beater. Apparently shifting can be a ***** in a semi b/c you need to double clutch between every gear, and revmatching is a way to skip all of that. Plus, it amazes friends who struggle with their manuals
I remember my dad trying to teach me how to drive a manual. We stop at a railroad crossing and swapped seats. Great place to learn btw lol. It was down some old back roads. Anyways as usual it stalls on me while we're on the tracks. After that I said I'll try it on my own without his pressure. Sure nuff I took it by myself and got the hang of it. I was showing my wife today that I didn't need the clutch to shift gears. For the guys that don't know how to rev match you have to use the clutch to in first.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Im still learning manual and getting a good handle on it. so far my biggest problem is letting the clutch off too slowly on first gear. My gfs dad said I have to releasr the clutch faster but when I let him drive I feel like he lets go to fast causing that sound when your gears dont click right. Any tips on first gear?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #113
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I visited the Mach1 registry forum and apparently many have used Lucas Transmission Fix to get rid of the TR-3650 notchyness and gear blocks with great success. I know these are different trannys but maybe it would help?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...iid=29&catid=2
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Shifting without the clutch is a skill in its self. It can be done by matching revs, but it's not recommended. Shifting without the clutch puts more and unneeded wear and tear on the synchro hubs. (the brake drums that slow the gears to allow their engagement) If u don't depress the clutch pedal while shifting, you're not allowing the transmissions input shaft to slow down to in turn to slow the rotation of the gears to help line them up for a smooth shift.
Ive had nothing but problems with my 2011 gt's 6 speed transmission. First visit, the trans was replaced under warranty. Second visit, the clutch pedal assembly was replaced. Third visit, the slave cylinder, clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel were replaced. On this third visit, the tech found two of the three dowel pins in the flywheel which aid in lining up the clutch pressure plate sheared off. This has to be a first. So with all these new and updated parts, seems to be finally fixed. Going on a week and 300 miles later, transmission shifting issues seem to be gone.
Struego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50 View Post
Im still learning manual and getting a good handle on it. so far my biggest problem is letting the clutch off too slowly on first gear. My gfs dad said I have to releasr the clutch faster but when I let him drive I feel like he lets go to fast causing that sound when your gears dont click right. Any tips on first gear?
It's just one of those things, Merben...practice and more practice until you get a feel for it. It can't really be taught, it's more of an acquired skill.

If your girl's dad is letting it out too fast and getting a grinding noise, he's doing it wrong. Do not let him drive your car again.

Sometimes, when coming to a stop (like, stop-sign stop, not a light where you'll sit for a good 3 minutes), I won't even bother with 1st and just keep it in 2nd. I find that if the car has ANY inertia at all, 2nd does just fine (this IS a high torque engine after all).

Anyway, back to the OP: Was at the dealer yesterday (needed some of the environmental treatment buffed in better) and I got to talking to the service dept guys. They haven't seen much about the MT82 so far, but they said there's been a bulletin regarding transmission repairs in the 2011+ 6 speeds stating that it is a known issue. Guys said that if I start hearing anything funny, bring it in and they'll take a look.

Also, I got to witness a camaro guy walk in and tell one of the sales people that he's wanting to trade it in for a new mustang. I grinned.
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Haha, come to the fast side slomaro lovers
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #117
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok

It's just one of those things, Merben...practice and more practice until you get a feel for it. It can't really be taught, it's more of an acquired skill.

If your girl's dad is letting it out too fast and getting a grinding noise, he's doing it wrong. Do not let him drive your car again.

Sometimes, when coming to a stop (like, stop-sign stop, not a light where you'll sit for a good 3 minutes), I won't even bother with 1st and just keep it in 2nd. I find that if the car has ANY inertia at all, 2nd does just fine (this IS a high torque engine after all).

Anyway, back to the OP: Was at the dealer yesterday (needed some of the environmental treatment buffed in better) and I got to talking to the service dept guys. They haven't seen much about the MT82 so far, but they said there's been a bulletin regarding transmission repairs in the 2011+ 6 speeds stating that it is a known issue. Guys said that if I start hearing anything funny, bring it in and they'll take a look.

Also, I got to witness a camaro guy walk in and tell one of the sales people that he's wanting to trade it in for a new mustang. I grinned.
Sounds like he finally came to his senses

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50
Only thing I'd say is practice letting off clutch in 1st with no gas. Just slowly let off till car starts to pull forward. Then after practicing that for a bit start applying gas. It should give you a better feel as where the sweet spot is. That's how I learned 18 years ago. That's how I taught my wife as well
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0

Only thing I'd say is practice letting off clutch in 1st with no gas. Just slowly let off till car starts to pull forward. Then after practicing that for a bit start applying gas. It should give you a better feel as where the sweet spot is. That's how I learned 18 years ago. That's how I taught my wife as well
Ya I got the hang of it now thanks for the suggestions! Sorry for stealing thread for a bit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT