check engine light after x pipe and tune. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
check engine light after x pipe and tune.

So i was joy riding today and noticed a check engine light. I pulled over right away and checked with my tuner. I had the codes

p0420 and i forgot the other believe p0430

They both said something about catalysts not reaching threshold, nothing to panic about i assume. Just means that the cats aren't doing their job and since i don't have cats that's why its saying that.

I have a bama tune and its sunday so i cant call up. Is there any one that can chime in and say anything about this?

Thanks Dennis
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
If you have an SCT tuner you should have the option of going in and turning off the o2 sensors

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: check engine light after x pipe and tune.

yes i do! how do i do that, can you help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Isnt that programmed in the tune? Fyi u pretty much have to turn em off with xpipe or high flow cats... I had too
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious_rob
Isnt that programmed in the tune? Fyi u pretty much have to turn em off with xpipe or high flow cats... I had too
Hmm i found the option but its "strategy tune" and that seems like a make your own tune because all the options are at original values "rpm timing axle ratio etc"

I guess ill call up tomorow and have them walk me through it, i also thought it was written in the tune
Old 05-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yea it would be under strategy tune... If you have custom tunes from bama, I'm not sure how to adjust those... Although you may be able to do something like adjust options and the there would be a "rear o2s" option and select that and then just turn them off

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yea it would be under strategy tune... If you have custom tunes from bama, I'm not sure how to adjust those... Although you may be able to do something like adjust options and the there would be a "rear o2s" option and select that and then just turn them off
Correct. The tune can viewed and edited. As long as he doesn't change anything from the tune that he isn't sure about it is ok. The tuner lets you hide or clear codes.

Now I can't remember where it was...ugh.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bama is sending me a revised tune, turns out there was a mistake somewhere and they did t know i had an o/r x pipe. Everythings all good again!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Another bama mistake

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another bama mistake
They make tons of tunes on the daily. Can't miss some?

I am sure every company has.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I don't doubt that but I can't count the number of times people on here and other forums have said something about their BAMA tune bein screwed up, on the other hand I can't think of a time hearing about any other tuners mess ups at all.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
I don't doubt that but I can't count the number of times people on here and other forums have said something about their BAMA tune bein screwed up, on the other hand I can't think of a time hearing about any other tuners mess ups at all.
Really? Miss the one on S197 where ROUSH blew a guys engine by flashing a bad tune to his ECU and had to replace his whole longblock? There are mistakes made by all the major tuners, you just aren't hearing about it because you aren't talking to people in the know.

What about all the threads with the Lund lopey idle tunes running like **** and barely being drivable? Miss those too?

I think that one of the key difference is that AM markets to novices that they don't know that they should contact the tuner with a datalog before throwing up inflammatory posts on the internet. This results in a lot more "WTF IS WRONG WITH MY BAMA TUNE" posts than you see from Lethal/Evo/AED/BBR since their customers are generally a bit more technically/mechanically advanced.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Really? Miss the one on S197 where ROUSH blew a guys engine by flashing a bad tune to his ECU and had to replace his whole longblock? There are mistakes made by all the major tuners, you just aren't hearing about it because you aren't talking to people in the know.

What about all the threads with the Lund lopey idle tunes running like **** and barely being drivable? Miss those too?
haha apparently I did miss those right? I don't follow s197 too closely but between here and a couple others I see mostly bama

And I guess you didn't read my entire post. I even stated that I know it's not just bama, I know people have had issues with other tuners. But the majority I hear about come from bama... Not ALL of them

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And I guess you didn't read my entire post. I even stated that I know it's not just bama, I know people have had issues with other tuners. But the majority I hear about come from bama... Not ALL of them
Quote:
on the other hand I can't think of a time hearing about any other tuners mess ups at all.
When did you say that? lol. Not arguing, just thought it was funny.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

They make tons of tunes on the daily. Can't miss some?

I am sure every company has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I don't doubt that but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

When did you say that? lol. Not arguing, just thought it was funny.
I said I can't remember hearing of any one else's. Not saying that it doesn't happen, not saying I haven't heard of it... Just not major or prevalent enough to stick out in my mind

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
haha apparently I did miss those right? I don't follow s197 too closely but between here and a couple others I see mostly bama

The thing is that S197 and Modular Fords are about the only forums with actual tech discussion going on, everything else is just a bunch of "chat." Not saying that's wrong, but it is what it is.

I wasn't trying to start a fight, just pointing out that Bama is by far the only company with occasional tune issues, but they ARE the only ones to stand behind their tunes with a warranty.

Another piece of food for thought, BAMA is very much the "mainstream" tune while the other shops are bit more aggressive and on the fringe. Bama, by their own admission, had tuned "tens of thousands" of mustangs. I would venture to say that if you look at the percentage of people with bad tunes that BAMA numbers would be about average or lower.

Not saying their tunes will make your car **** rainbows and fart pixie dust, but they are solid mainstream tunes that come with a written assurance that if they blow your engine they will fix/replace it. That's a lot of peace of mind that you DONT get with any other tuner and is why I run BAMA tunes until I'm done modding and ready for a dyno tune.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

The thing is that S197 and Modular Fords are about the only forums with actual tech discussion going on, everything else is just a bunch of "chat." Not saying that's wrong, but it is what it is.

I wasn't trying to start a fight, just pointing out that Bama is by far the only company with occasional tune issues, but they ARE the only ones to stand behind their tunes with a warranty.

Another piece of food for thought, BAMA is very much the "mainstream" tune while the other shops are bit more aggressive and on the fringe. Bama, by their own admission, had tuned "tens of thousands" of mustangs. I would venture to say that if you look at the percentage of people with bad tunes that BAMA numbers would be about average or lower.

Not saying their tunes will make your car **** rainbows and fart pixie dust, but they are solid mainstream tunes that come with a written assurance that if they blow your engine they will fix/replace it. That's a lot of peace of mind that you DONT get with any other tuner and is why I run BAMA tunes until I'm done modding and ready for a dyno tune.
It's all good! You and wnt2gofst keep people honest haha

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Guys it could be that i forgot to check off the o/r x pipe option, im pretty sure i did but who knows. I got my tune in 3-4 hours after the phone call, thats fast!! their service is top noth and just for that (and their warranty) all my business goes to bama/am hands down. I have to admit i dont really feel any much more performance with the boss manifold x pipe and tune only way to find out is a dyno run/ 1/4 test
Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
Guys it could be that i forgot to check off the o/r x pipe option, im pretty sure i did but who knows. I got my tune in 3-4 hours after the phone call, thats fast!! their service is top noth and just for that (and their warranty) all my business goes to bama/am hands down. I have to admit i dont really feel any much more performance with the boss manifold x pipe and tune only way to find out is a dyno run/ 1/4 test
not even in the upper RPM range?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

not even in the upper RPM range?
Well it pulls harder uptop and almost no pull under 4k it jus feels like the torque band shifted higher but i still have the same amount of power i did before. I can deff tell it dsnt fall off uptop like it used to
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
Well it pulls harder uptop and almost no pull under 4k it jus feels like the torque band shifted higher but i still have the same amount of power i did before. I can deff tell it dsnt fall off uptop like it used to
Real gains happen over 6k, but the biggest difference that I noticed was that the power curve was smoothed out a lot and lost that "bursty" feeling from the stock intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Ok u show ur now u show urs whos is bigger? Ok no that thats over with... Sry to hear the mix up im sure its cleared up soon and she'll be running a top again.
What in the world are you talking about?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

+1billion...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine