Bama tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Bama tune

I got a 2012 GT with a few bolt ons, however its time to make a real change and tune it. Probably gonna go with Bama, unless advised other wise. Is it necessary to get a cai with the tune? I have a k&n drop in filter already. Anyone have any mechanical problems after tuning since it will void the warranty? Any advice is much appreciated.
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1
I got a 2012 GT with a few bolt ons, however its time to make a real change and tune it. Probably gonna go with Bama, unless advised other wise. Is it necessary to get a cai with the tune? I have a k&n drop in filter already. Anyone have any mechanical problems after tuning since it will void the warranty? Any advice is much appreciated.
+1 on the Bama tune.. It won't give you the MOST power but definitely more power and theres the advantage of the #8 cylinder warranty.. Thats what i Have and am satisfied.. Don't waste your money on the CAI.. Virtually no power gains.. 1-3hp MAYBE..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
medicespo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1
I got a 2012 GT with a few bolt ons, however its time to make a real change and tune it. Probably gonna go with Bama, unless advised other wise. Is it necessary to get a cai with the tune? I have a k&n drop in filter already. Anyone have any mechanical problems after tuning since it will void the warranty? Any advice is much appreciated.
Be careful bama tunes run really lean which isn't good at all
__________________
2012 GT 5.0
6speed manual
flowmaster super 10's
lethal performance o/r x pipe
BAMA sct tuner
35% tint all the way round
medicespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicespo

Be careful bama tunes run really lean which isn't good at all
They shouldn't. If you're running lean you should be sending them datalogs so they can correct it, which you should always do with mail order tunes anyways.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

They shouldn't. If you're running lean you should be sending them datalogs so they can correct it, which you should always do with mail order tunes anyways.
How do u send a datalog? Or even record it?
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Bama tune

its ALWAYS (I repeat ALWAYS) a great idea to get any tune dyno checked just to be safe, its very cheap insurance and you can do a before/after or just an after to see where you are at. Also, data log it (get with AmericanMuscle for log files) and they can tweek the tune if needed.

Just a major FYI this will void the warranty
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
There seems to be mixed opinions on getting a Bama tune. I can't afford getting it professionally tuned right now, is it a bad idea to tune it at all then?
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Bama tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50 View Post
How do u send a datalog? Or even record it?
You need to install the SCT LiveLink software. Call or email BAMA and they will send you detailed instructions.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1 View Post
There seems to be mixed opinions on getting a Bama tune. I can't afford getting it professionally tuned right now, is it a bad idea to tune it at all then?
Bama tunes are fine, just make sure you relearn the idle/fuel trim strategies (I've posted directions for this in no less than two threads and the last few days so it should be easy to find) and send them datalogs to make sure there aren't any issues.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Thanks for all of the advice.
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
I was thinking of putting the boss intake manifold on before getting a tune, is it worth having it without a tune?
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1
I was thinking of putting the boss intake manifold on before getting a tune, is it worth having it without a tune?
You need a tune w the manifold
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

You need a tune w the manifold
I guess I'll have to save up a little longer then
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1

I guess I'll have to save up a little longer then
I feel your pain!
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
get a tune from lethalperformance or evolution performance. john lunds does all the tunning
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126
get a tune from lethalperformance or evolution performance. john lunds does all the tunning
Its a better tune?
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1

Its a better tune?
yes
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Bama tune

That or call Chris Holmes at HPX Motorsports. He is featured in new MM&FF magazine.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 412
Re: Bama tune

is the SCT livewire firmware capatible with Macs'?
__________________
Previous: '02 GT, '04 GT, '07 GT & a few chevys in between
'13 GT
Woodga16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16
is the SCT livewire firmware capatible with Macs'?
Nope. Have to split hard drive and have one that is windows based.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Untamed5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16
is the SCT livewire firmware capatible with Macs'?
Unfortunately no. I ran into this problem myself. You will have to either run virtualization software and run windows that way, parrallels or VMware fusion, or use Bootcamp and run windows that way. This software only runs on crumy windows
Untamed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

yes
How is it a better tune? It is a known fact that the lund tunes have the most engine failures to date for mail order tuning.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

How is it a better tune? It is a known fact that the lund tunes have the most engine failures to date for mail order tuning.
only reason bama is know is bc of american muscle thats it. only thing they have set records with there tune is a v6. if someone is worried about there motor that bad then leave it stock dont tune. lunds tunes are alot better for the money and are proven
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

only reason bama is know is bc of american muscle thats it. only thing they have set records with there tune is a v6. if someone is worried about there motor that bad then leave it stock dont tune. lunds tunes are alot better for the money and are proven
I've decided to wait a few weeks and save up for a custom tune by JDM in Freehold, NJ. They have a great reputation from everything I have read and heard. I would rather have a professional hook it up to a dyno and their computers to tune it as opposed to me doing it from a mail order tune. I can do bolt ons and some mechanical work, but when messing with the computer I'll leave it to the pros. I'll update my profile soon.
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1

I've decided to wait a few weeks and save up for a custom tune by JDM in Freehold, NJ. They have a great reputation from everything I have read and heard. I would rather have a professional hook it up to a dyno and their computers to tune it as opposed to me doing it from a mail order tune. I can do bolt ons and some mechanical work, but when messing with the computer I'll leave it to the pros. I'll update my profile soon.
good choice just keep a good eye on your air/fuel
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

How is it a better tune? It is a known fact that the lund tunes have the most engine failures to date for mail order tuning.
??? Most failures huh..proof..I know 1 that has had a failure with a lund. Least 3 with Bama..and a local Guy I know his let go with his stock car.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverBullet12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 185
Re: Bama tune

I have a lund and a Bama tune. The Bama tune so far has been better with customer service and performance. I data logged my tune and sent it over to Lund and got a revised tune because the orginal wasnt pulling spark in 4th gear, I havent run the new tune at the track yet. The Bama I ran a 12.1, once i run the revised Lund tune ill be sure to post it up. Either direction you go you wont be unhappy.
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 412
Re: Bama tune

Seems like Lund is extremely busy right now. My vote goes to HPX, he has emailed me back really late just to answer some questions.
__________________
Previous: '02 GT, '04 GT, '07 GT & a few chevys in between
'13 GT
Woodga16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
bigsmitty24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 225
Ive heard u have to have off-road exhaust for a lund tune to work. Is that true?
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverBullet12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 185
Re: Bama tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmitty24 View Post
Ive heard u have to have off-road exhaust for a lund tune to work. Is that true?
Partially true haha. If you get the cammed tune you need the off road exhaust. Regular tune anything works

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1 View Post
I've decided to wait a few weeks and save up for a custom tune by JDM in Freehold, NJ. They have a great reputation from everything I have read and heard. I would rather have a professional hook it up to a dyno and their computers to tune it as opposed to me doing it from a mail order tune. I can do bolt ons and some mechanical work, but when messing with the computer I'll leave it to the pros. I'll update my profile soon.
Im about an hour south of freehold and never heard of them haha. Lemme know how the tune is, I really wanna get my car on a dyno for a tune. Thanks!
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12

Partially true haha. If you get the cammed tune you need the off road exhaust. Regular tune anything works

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------



Im about an hour south of freehold and never heard of them haha. Lemme know how the tune is, I really wanna get my car on a dyno for a tune. Thanks!
I'm about an 35 minutes North of Freehold, in Totowa. I'll keep you posted.
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16
Seems like Lund is extremely busy right now. My vote goes to HPX, he has emailed me back really late just to answer some questions.
Chris is awesome. He stayed up till 1am datalogging and revising my tranny tune.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

good choice just keep a good eye on your air/fuel
How do you monitor that?
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1

How do you monitor that?
You need a aeroforce gauge or some other a/f gauge.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12

Partially true haha. If you get the cammed tune you need the off road exhaust. Regular tune anything works

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------



Im about an hour south of freehold and never heard of them haha. Lemme know how the tune is, I really wanna get my car on a dyno for a tune. Thanks!
I just got back from JDM after getting my car tuned... I should say my old car bc she is a brand new car now. It's like she hit puberty. JDM was great, very knowledgeable with excellent service. I highly recommend them.
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
coyote414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1

I just got back from JDM after getting my car tuned... I should say my old car bc she is a brand new car now. It's like she hit puberty. JDM was great, very knowledgeable with excellent service. I highly recommend them.
Since you got a "dyno tune" did you manage to get before/after dyno numbers? That's what the people wanna know
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

« Ford | Lowering »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:33 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.