Used sct tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Used sct tuner

Hey guys. I happened to fall into a used sct tuner for a 2012 gt. wanted to know if I can use it on my car? It came off a 2012 5.0 auto with an air raid cai and magna flow axle back. I have a 2012 5.0 M/T. Can I just plug it into mine?
tea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: Used sct tuner

NO y ou can not use the tunes from the auto car. Differnet tranny settings and also different ECU codes. If previous car has been returned to stock the SCT should have unlocks left on it. Then you can load tunes for your car in it and use it.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ok. Any idea how I go about uploading tunes for my car? Considering i wasn't the one who bought it.
tea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea84
Ok. Any idea how I go about uploading tunes for my car? Considering i wasn't the one who bought it.
You order tune from where ever. Then have to download sct software to be able to load on to the handheld from your computer. I do it all time. Not hard. If go to sct it explains how to do in tech section.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

It isn't free though. The tunes for life is non transferable from Bama, unless other companies will still honor it. Which I doubt.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Correct. The tunes it self will cost. The software is free.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The tuner may come ore loaded with strategy tunes which is a tune you can customize without having to purchase custom tunes. That's what I had to use when I bought a used tuner. I finally gave in and bought the free custom tunes for life package from American Muscle soon after
Untamed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed5.0 View Post
The tuner may come ore loaded with strategy tunes which is a tune you can customize without having to purchase custom tunes. That's what I had to use when I bought a used tuner. I finally gave in and bought the free custom tunes for life package from American Muscle soon after
From what I have read there are dangers to using a tune for a different car which is why they ask you for the 3 letter code of your ECU? How did your car ride and feel?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I didnt return my old gt/cs to stock, so does thst mean i cant have a tuner load a different tune for a different car? Is that sct i have now no good? Didn think of returning it to stock...
Notorious_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

From what I have read there are dangers to using a tune for a different car which is why they ask you for the 3 letter code of your ECU? How did your car ride and feel?
The tuner was unmarried from the old vehicle. The strategy tunes come from SCT, not BAMAKO so they are safe to use on any vehicle the tuner was designed for. The custom tunes are a different story.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed5.0

The tuner was unmarried from the old vehicle. The strategy tunes come from SCT, not BAMAKO so they are safe to use on any vehicle the tuner was designed for. The custom tunes are a different story.
BAMA***
Untamed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious_rob View Post
I didnt return my old gt/cs to stock, so does thst mean i cant have a tuner load a different tune for a different car? Is that sct i have now no good? Didn think of returning it to stock...
SCT can unlock it for something to the tune of $150.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Yes as long as the tuner itself will plug into your car, you can have it reprogrammed. Every car has a different CPU installed so you need the code off the front to help the tuner (aka Bama, BBR, etc) to program correctly. Then you can buy tunes either on a one off or some will even let you do a tunes for life program for around $200. May be worth checking into. In general though, don't use another person's tuner for you car without getting it reprogrammed.
Martinkid33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT