Boss Intake Purchase - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Boss Intake Purchase

If anyone would gladly tell me what are the total expense, i need to know what is the budget im looking at, including everything, do i need a tune? any extra pieces? for a stock.2013 mustang
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Intake, if no CAI you will need a diff air tube from your airbox to intake, need tune also. It will make it easier if you have the vacuum lines designed for the boss intake but is not needed. Stock stb will not clear this intake either

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Your going to need the

Intake manifold $410
Intake instalation kit basically a hose and two hose clamps$11
Boss intake tube $100
Zipties $3

Your looking at about $525 withoutthe strut bar
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Boss Intake Purchase

ive heard that they tend to only show differences on top end and can cost mid range power. Is that true?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

From everything I've read and seen reported from regular joes and performance shops that is true

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mine picked up across the whole rpm range. It never lost any power or torque, and continued to gain the whole way up.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
Mine picked up across the whole rpm range. It never lost any power or torque, and continued to gain the whole way up.
What are your mods? I've been wanting to do the intake but I don't wanna lose the low end and that's a major part of whats stopping me

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Boss Intake Manifold - $409.95 (Summit Racing)
SCT BAMA Tuner - $379.99 (American Muscle)
Installation Kit for Intake Manifold - $20.00 +- (AutoZone)
Untamed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
With a stock car adding the boss intake there is roughly about 10wtq lost down low. So little you will never notice 10wtq.

Add x pipe at same time you will not lose that down low.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

What are your mods? I've been wanting to do the intake but I don't wanna lose the low end and that's a major part of whats stopping me
Jlt cai, boss manifold, bbk cat delets, and flowmaster catback. My was tuned on the dyno and showed no loss from stock accriss the rpm range.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote:

Jlt cai, boss manifold, bbk cat delets, and flowmaster catback. My was tuned on the dyno and showed no loss from stock accriss the rpm range.
The car back has a built in xpipe
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Ok good, that's what I wanted to hear

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Ok good, that's what I wanted to hear
I will post the dyno sheets soon. But peak stock was 387hp and 370tq. Modded and tuned was 441hp and 390tq. On SAE, with a 93 octane tune. The most minimum gain down low was 10tq. Other than that, she gained everywhere.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

FWIW, I bought my boss I take on eBay for 330 shipped BNIB.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Tousley ford is the best prices and safe purchase IMO. I do think you loose on the low end some for a fact.However with additional mods you can make it up I think
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My close friend, who owns a tuning and performance shop, with a dyno, has been wrenching and modding mustangs for over 20 years. He has put over 20 boss intakes on already, and has yet to have one lose any power or torque anywhere in the rpm range. Im not trying to create any kind of pissing contest. That was one of my concerns too, when i told him he looked at me like i was crazy. The proof is in black and white on the dyno, and she never lies.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
My close friend, who owns a tuning and performance shop, with a dyno, has been wrenching and modding mustangs for over 20 years. He has put over 20 boss intakes on already, and has yet to have one lose any power or torque anywhere in the rpm range. Im not trying to create any kind of pissing contest. That was one of my concerns too, when i told him he looked at me like i was crazy. The proof is in black and white on the dyno, and she never lies.
This made me smile today.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I have no experience with the dyno but I've read on here and other forums that no two dyno runs are alike and that a dyno can be manipulated to produce whatever numbers you're trying to make. Can anyone shed some light on this? I never know what to believe because I hear so many different things.

Personally I don't believe the BOSS intake manifold would cost you power. You have to install a tune to use it, right? Wouldn't the tune alone increase your power even without the BOSS manifold?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It's not going to cost you power or they wouldn't have put it on the actuall BOSS 302. Tunes/tuners vary and so do the overall setups that are running the Boss intake manifold so it would be difficult to put concrete net gains on the mod, but general consensus tells us: possible low rpm band tq loss, if any...and overall gains in the teens in the upper rpm band.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16 View Post
It's not going to cost you power or they wouldn't have put it on the actuall BOSS 302. Tunes/tuners vary and so do the overall setups that are running the Boss intake manifold so it would be difficult to put concrete net gains on the mod, but general consensus tells us: possible low rpm band tq loss, if any...and overall gains in the teens in the upper rpm band.

+1
Actually, the Boss 302 does have less low end torque than a stock 5.0. The performance gain per dollar is not a great one w/ this mod. The runners in the box type intake on the Boss only created HP because the entire engine has been reworked. And we all know that was only a 30HP increase !! imho, I would spend the money in other areas. It looks great, but ???!!! The torque curve on the Boss 302 is best w/ TracKey...and that is what was used in all the data, maybe misleading owners a bit. Whatever you decide good luck and have some fun with it.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Also, I believe it's a good mod with a centri setup.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Its all what you plan to do with it down the road. I want more airflow in the mid to top end range. I don't want a ton of power down low. I am not making a drag car and I have a hard enough time keeping traction down low with the 285s I have now and the boss intake. I am planning down the road to go the centri or turbo route for boost and the boss intake is better suited for what I want to do. Right now it does make more power than stock. The benefits of the intake will come out more with the boost down the road. I did my first dyno run with it today and pulled 391 hp and 342.5 lbs tq. We did the pull in 5th on my manual. The dynojet is a 248 with a huge inertia roller I guess. The guy said that their dyno comes in on the low side of with the roller they have. He described it as brutal. I was hoping to see over 400. Not on this dyno. The car was fully warmed up after running down the highway with AC on for 40 minutes to get there. There was no cooling fans blowing on the front or anything. The motor was just sucking in hot air from around the motor since the hood was up as well. I was more curious about the air/fuel ratio so I had him track that as well. The tune is running pretty conservative there and not getting too lean in any area which I am glad for. I don't want a lean spot somewhere in the curve and end up burning a cylinder.
Here are the specs on the car as it ran on the dyno today:
Boss intake, Steeda CAI, steeda 93 octane tune, roush axle back, 3.73 gears, JLT oil separator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	50653  
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
Its all what you plan to do with it down the road. I want more airflow in the mid to top end range. I don't want a ton of power down low. I am not making a drag car and I have a hard enough time keeping traction down low with the 285s I have now and the boss intake. I am planning down the road to go the centri or turbo route for boost and the boss intake is better suited for what I want to do. Right now it does make more power than stock. The benefits of the intake will come out more with the boost down the road. I did my first dyno run with it today and pulled 391 hp and 342.5 lbs tq. We did the pull in 5th on my manual. The dynojet is a 248 with a huge inertia roller I guess. The guy said that their dyno comes in on the low side of with the roller they have. He described it as brutal. I was hoping to see over 400. Not on this dyno. The car was fully warmed up after running down the highway with AC on for 40 minutes to get there. There was no cooling fans blowing on the front or anything. The motor was just sucking in hot air from around the motor since the hood was up as well. I was more curious about the air/fuel ratio so I had him track that as well. The tune is running pretty conservative there and not getting too lean in any area which I am glad for. I don't want a lean spot somewhere in the curve and end up burning a cylinder.
Here are the specs on the car as it ran on the dyno today:
Boss intake, Steeda CAI, steeda 93 octane tune, roush axle back, 3.73 gears, JLT oil separator.
Those are really bad numbers, first numbers i see so low.
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Take it to someone w/ a decent dyno. Those #'s should be higher !!! You had to ask him to graph the a/f mixture for you ??...
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running The Boss intake, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune thru an SCT tuner, X-pipe, Pype bomb exhaust. I was very pleasantly surprised after driving it for a few weeks stock... I didn't notice any loss of torque but the top end is fantastic! I plan on doing turbo or turbos in the future and the Boss will only help me there! I say go for it!
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Not including your tune. Bama does a good job tuning these.
Martinkid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinkid33
Not including your tune. Bama does a good job tuning these.
If you say so.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You're not a fan of Bama? Prob the best customer service I have ever recieved. Now I will say their tunes are a little "conservative" at first. All you have to do is call and they will dial you in. Nothing replaces a dyno tune though
Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
You're not a fan of Bama? Prob the best customer service I have ever recieved. Now I will say their tunes are a little "conservative" at first. All you have to do is call and they will dial you in. Nothing replaces a dyno tune though
Even them dialing them in for tour car they still don't provide the power other tunes do like Lund/Shawn@AED/livernois/jpc. Those are the shops that have tuned the fastest mustangs in the country. Oh my bad AM(Bama) has the fastest v6. Cause simply no one cares to bothered dumping 15k in a v6 to run high 11's.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I would agree with some of that. There are a lot of really good tuning companies out there. AM(Bama) is appealing to the masses for mainly every day driver type cars.

I can't help but read some "feeling" & sarcasm in your post. Have they done something to upset you or did you have a bad experience? My experience with Bama is has been nothing short of fantastic. We have 7 mustangs all of which are tuned by them and all are dialed in and ready to roll. What are the odds I guess...
Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Because dialed in to you and dialed in to me are completely different.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
I would agree with some of that. There are a lot of really good tuning companies out there. AM(Bama) is appealing to the masses for mainly every day driver type cars.

I can't help but read some "feeling" & sarcasm in your post. Have they done something to upset you or did you have a bad experience? My experience with Bama is has been nothing short of fantastic. We have 7 mustangs all of which are tuned by them and all are dialed in and ready to roll. What are the odds I guess...
As above. Dialed in to me is different then you. I never wasted my money on tuning with Bama. As said there is a reason they only hold record for v6 car.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I'm sure there are tuners making more power than bama but are there any that back theirs with a written warranty? I haven't tuned yet, still having issues giving up warranty. But I'm close to pulling the trigger. It seems nice to have a tuner that will stand behind their work. And most Likely the reason for conservative tunes. Plus I'm after better throttle response and ability to turn off rear o2 sensors. I only drive on the street and don't really need the extra few hp to risk my motor.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

The thing that everyone misses about Bama is that you have to treat them just like you would any other tuner or Dyno tuner. Now there is a large difference in dynotuning vs what these tuners do, however...If you send your info to Bama, get your tune, run the car for a little bit down the road...really driving it. Log those and send back, Bama will continue to adjust and tweak that Tune until you are dialed in. Most people are expecting the perfect tune out of the box and that just doesn't happen except for on a rare occasion. Just something to think about. There are people out there that can tune better than others, and experience speaks volumes for people. One bad experience and you can turn your nose up...especially when it comes to your baby . I have found that a lot of people who complain about Bama never even had an experience with them. They simply just are repeating hear say. Reputation goes a long way, but I would put any of the tunes in the 7 mustangs we have against any body elses that have been dyno tuned and ours will stand equal to the rest. It boils down to how much effort do you want to put in and what do you really want to see.

BTW - most tuners will allow you to turn them back to stock. So if you are worried about the tune voiding your warranty it only takes about 5 minutes to send it back to factory and then you can take it in to the dealer. Just a thought

I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way or think that BAMA is the end all be all...but they are where they are for a reason.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Even them dialing them in for tour car they still don't provide the power other tunes do like Lund/Shawn@AED/livernois/jpc. Those are the shops that have tuned the fastest mustangs in the country. Oh my bad AM(Bama) has the fastest v6. Cause simply no one cares to bothered dumping 15k in a v6 to run high 11's.
i have a lund and a bama

12.1 with the bama 13.2 with the lund.......

obviously something is wrong with the Lund. Sent him data logs on the 8th of May and still havent heard anything back.......
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT