Accessory Drive Whine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Accessory Drive Whine

Over the last 1000 miles or so I have detected a whine coming from outside the car. It had a constant tone no matter the engine speed or vehicle speed. I'd didn't matter what gear I was in or whether the clutch was pushed in. I did notice that when the car was idling, the whine went away. Today, I noticed that if I would rev the engine I could make it whine and it appears to be coming from the front of the engine. I assume it is a bearing on one of the accessory drives. I'm taking it in Friday but was wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Yes my 12' GT manual has had a whine for a little while. Not sure when it started as it has gotten worse. Really only noticed it about 100 miles ago. Plan on taking it in, but my truck is having tranny rebuilt. So no other wheels, can't share wife's G. Cherokee. She's way too busy. Rambling sorry. Any way it sounds like a power steering whine. Please post any updates. It will be two weeks before mine goes in. Thankfully I work from home.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang
Yes my 12' GT manual has had a whine for a little while. Not sure when it started as it has gotten worse. Really only noticed it about 100 miles ago. Plan on taking it in, but my truck is having tranny rebuilt. So no other wheels, can't share wife's G. Cherokee. She's way too busy. Rambling sorry. Any way it sounds like a power steering whine. Please post any updates. It will be two weeks before mine goes in. Thankfully I work from home.
On the plus side I can't here the engine ticking over the whine. Lol cry lol
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

OK, the dealer said that there is a TSB on the water pump on these vehicles. They are ordering the part and should be ready to put it in next week. We shall see if that takes care of it. By the way I am at 16,000 miles.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Good info to have. My dealer doesn't seem to be very interested in warranty work. So they can't seem to find tsb's. I like to be able to hold their hand if nessasary.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good info to have. My dealer doesn't seem to be very interested in warranty work. So they can't seem to find tsb's. I like to be able to hold their hand if nessasary.
I will let you know the number if they put it on the invoice.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

You do know that these have electric steering, not hydraulic, right?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito

Thanks bro.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

You do know that these have electric steering, not hydraulic, right?
I do know bought the electric powered steering system. That doesn't change my statement. Sounds like a power steering whine. Which sounds like could actually be the water pump. Regardless I don't like it and it needs to go away. Lol

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks bro.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

I do know bought the electric powered steering system. That doesn't change my statement. Sounds like a power steering whine. Which sounds like could actually be the water pump. Regardless I don't like it and it needs to go away. Lol
About not bought
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito

The replaced the water pump under TSB 12-3-1. I have read online that this TSB is for ticking or low rpm metallic noise. Not really what I had. Anyway, I'll drive it a while and see how it does.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The TSB repair did NOT fix the screeching! I drove for about 150 miles today in the heat and there is no change. My next appointment is Thursday. I'll keep everyone up to date.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well as of today, they are going to try replacing the throttle body. Its hard to believe nobody else has had this very annoying noise.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 06-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure if anyone is following this but I want to keep a record in case someone else has the same problem.

The throttle body was not the problem. They now say that they are going to bring in a Ford engineer to try and find the cause.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
That's pretty crazy

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

SOLVED!

The whining or screaming noise is gone. The alternator was to blame. The dealer determined that they could push on the serpentine belt while the engine was running and make the noise change pitch. After replacing pretty much everything on the front of the engine, they narrowed it down to the alternator.

Now I'm not embarrassed by strange looks from other drivers while I enjoy my ride!
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Accessory Drive Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito View Post
SOLVED!

The whining or screaming noise is gone. The alternator was to blame. The dealer determined that they could push on the serpentine belt while the engine was running and make the noise change pitch. After replacing pretty much everything on the front of the engine, they narrowed it down to the alternator.

Now I'm not embarrassed by strange looks from other drivers while I enjoy my ride!
Did you record or video the sound? Would like to know how it sounds like just so I can look out for that type of sound on my car.
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That would have been a good idea but I didn't.
The noise only occurred when the ambient temperature under the hood was very hot. The revs needed to get above 3000 rpm. Then it kinda sounded like a tea kettle. Very loud and the pitch didn't really change much with speed or engine load.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Not too impressed with your dealer mechs. 5 minutes with some chassis ears would have located the sound and saved alot of yours and their time. Glad they eventually got it right.
5LHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

They did use the stethoscope but there are alot of moving parts up front to work around and the noise was really hard to point to. But I agree they could have been more efficient than basically replacing the entire accessory drive. I believe the alternator was the most expensive part so that is why they replaced it last.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Not buying it...I've been doing this 30 years and that trackdown would have taken seconds for anyone with ANY talent. An alternator whine is pretty distinct too and your situation sounds alot like it. I would have looked at that FIRST. Throttle body? Are you freaking kidding me? It's the age of parts-replacers we live in, nobody knows how to diagnose jack-shyt without a computer hook up. As one of my old mechanic buddies says, "no freaking computer's gonna tell you the timing chain's busted".
5LHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Not buying it...I've been doing this 30 years and that trackdown would have taken seconds for anyone with ANY talent. An alternator whine is pretty distinct too and your situation sounds alot like it. I would have looked at that FIRST. Throttle body? Are you freaking kidding me? It's the age of parts-replacers we live in, nobody knows how to diagnose jack-shyt without a computer hook up. As one of my old mechanic buddies says, "no freaking computer's gonna tell you the timing chain's busted".
+1
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT