Looking for Panhard bar - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looking for Panhard bar

I prefer BMR but interested in several. Anyone got one they want to get rid of?
Martinkid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: Looking for Panhard bar

I have a stock 2012 GT. Assuming I do not have a Panhard bar. What does it do?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You do have a Panhard bar Its very flimsy and weak.

The 2011-2013 have a problem with chassis flex and the back end moving around. Beyond just breaking the tires loose . The pan hard bar bolts right above your lower control arms to keep the rear end from moving around independently and elminates wheel hop. You may not feel alot of hop right now depending on what your tire size is that meets the road and how much hp you actually have at the wheel. But as you increase you want to keep that from happening. The best fixes for it are Panhard bars and control arms.

Does that help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

It does thanks for the information. So aftermarket bars available are thicker diameter?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarman View Post
It does thanks for the information. So aftermarket bars available are thicker diameter?
Yep. I am a fan of BMR, but there are lots of companies who make suspension products. They aren't very expensive but if I can find a good deal on a used one...I'm all about a little savings. Just remember with your 5.0, everyone wants to add HP so fast but then they realize they can't get them to hook for crap because of weak control arms, panhard bars, chassis flex and small tires. So try to build as you add hp. Its less expensive that way and your car will be quicker because it will hook up .

Example: BMR Mustang Adjustable Panhard Bar - Hammertone Finish (05-13 All) PHR006H - Free Shipping!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The stock Panhard bar is far from flimsy! I replaced mine with an adjustable billet bar from stallion (eBay $124shipped). The stock bar is too long when lowering springs are installed. The stock bar is very stout and very HEAVY, it's even filled with dampening sand. You only need to replace if you lower or wish to lose weight.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang View Post
The stock Panhard bar is far from flimsy! I replaced mine with an adjustable billet bar from stallion (eBay $124shipped). The stock bar is too long when lowering springs are installed. The stock bar is very stout and very HEAVY, it's even filled with dampening sand. You only need to replace if you lower or wish to lose weight.
Not to disagree with you here, but when I changed out my axles...the panhard bar was in the way of the Diff cover plate. I just reached up and pulled it out of the way. I guess I was just wanting something a little more firm than that

I mean don't get me wrong...I'm a strong guy but I didn't think I was that strong. LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The Panhard bar is designed to locate the axle laterally. It is made to be strong in a "straight line" and has zero bending forces applied to it. Concrete is in credibly strong however it also has extremely low resistance to bending. Ever stand on an empty pop can? Plenty strong enough until twisting forces are applied. Oh and any replacement bar will flex the same way. My replacement bar is lighter and being aluminum will flex just as much as the stock bar. Under use it's rock solid though.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich mustang View Post
The Panhard bar is designed to locate the axle laterally. It is made to be strong in a "straight line" and has zero bending forces applied to it. Concrete is in credibly strong however it also has extremely low resistance to bending. Ever stand on an empty pop can? Plenty strong enough until twisting forces are applied. Oh and any replacement bar will flex the same way. My replacement bar is lighter and being aluminum will flex just as much as the stock bar. Under use it's rock solid though.
Good points...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT