Custom Fab'd Twin Turbo 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Custom Fab'd Twin Turbo 5.0

I've run all sorts of power adders on different vehicles but my favorite certainly is Turbocharging. I see Hellion has a turbo and a twin turbo kit. I've heard both really good and not-so-good stuff about their kits. I also see Lund is going to be building a turbo kit and will fly in and tune the first few cars. Both of these options are well in excess of $6k...
Now, I know some of you will say the lag will be detrimental and some of you will say that's a great idea... I am considering fabricating a twin turbo, rear mount turbo set up, similar to an STS rear mount turbo kit. I would either fabricate the exhaust hot side to run either to where the CATS are or to where the mufflers are. The cold side would then obviously run back to the throttle body. I've had real good luck with Methanol injection for liquid intercooling and octane boosting so I'd go that route again. I haven't spent enough time scratching and thinking yet for me to make up my mind where to mount the turbos and route the piping...
I've got a Mopar out in the driveway with a 408 small block and a 76 mm Turbonetics turbo running methanol that makes 745rwhp. A well built motor is gonna make enough torque off the line to already challenge the tires so by the time the boost spools, it makes a great transition into the boost. Obviously, tuning is critical! So, has anyone else fabricated a turbo kit? Anyone have any comments or suggestions on this? What tuning options would you consider?
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Custom Fab'd Twin Turbo 5.0

Why has every kit been twin setup so far? Honestly with the motor already producing decent tq down low, I'd prefer a big single...more lag, but bigger top end and less egts, mechanical stress, etc.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Good luck with fab'ing a system though!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sorry for being off topic but doesn't hellion make a big single also?
James12gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: Custom Fab'd Twin Turbo 5.0

Why fab a kit when you can get the Lund kit for 8500 and it is a proven kit. It went 10.3 on a stock engine and stock converter.

And as far as hellion kits show me a car that has made more then 1 pass on the real hellion kit the way they send it to you. And that as its only power adder. And one that isn't just a dyno queen.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by James12gt View Post
Sorry for being off topic but doesn't hellion make a big single also?
Yes they do and it sucks worse they the tt.

Fastlane/JPC both make a single also.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm not dead set on the twin or a single yet. My Mopar which is rear mounted with a single 76mm Turbonetics on a 408 is plenty of boost... If I fab a single and mount it just outside of the engine compartment then I've got to build a hot side cross over pipe. Twins obviously require even more fabrication and would require merging the cold side near the Engine compartment too. Twins=more money, more fabrication, more cool factor, more torque, higher boost availability however I'll have to replace the pistons for forged slugs... Single=less fabrication, less torque, less cost, less weight... I'm not pinching pennies necessarily here, but as a fabricator and Engineer nerd, I always prefer to build my own stuff... Now the tune, I'll be seeking expert advise! I can tune an old fashion carb'd hot rod motor all day long but the Coyote PCM is outside my tuning expertise...
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT