5.0 oil squirters removed in some 2012 and all 2013 models? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
guzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 182
5.0 oil squirters removed in some 2012 and all 2013 models?

I read a couple different articles out there about Ford taking out the oil squirter hardware sometime in the 2012 production run and leaving them out. Ford originally put them in to spray the bottom of the non forged pistons in the 5.0. That was the reason they went with cheaper hypereutic pistons was that the oil squirters would keep them cooler. Now they all of a sudden don't need them? The motor may be fine stock without them but as soon as people start spinning them up hard into the higher rpm with a tune will we see some problems with it down the road? I know the boss has them deleted for windage issues at high rpms but they also put forged pistons in place of the standard ones. This would make me wary of putting a boss intake on a 2012 mid year or 2013 model GT and cranking the rpms up to 7500 where the boss intake comes on strong. I am glad I have them in mine. I even added the ford oil cooler that ford designed for them but skimped on and didn't install except for the boss cars. Oil cooling on these motors without forged pistons you would think would be vital.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
the 2012 still have them The 13's don't.

Also didn't see a cooler for the squirters just for tranny for the boss. Autos came with tranny coolers stock.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rolltide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 402
So is this a good thing for 2011-2012 owners? And a bad thing for 2013s?
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
guzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 182
Boss got engine oil coolers stock. They were originally developed for the gt but were cut for cost savings. They left in the design to be able to add them to he program as the bosses have.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide
So is this a good thing for 2011-2012 owners? And a bad thing for 2013s?
Depends..jpc deleted them in there 9 sec stroked out 5.0. Many have them in there cars that are running great. But I think once get to certain point need to be removed.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rolltide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Depends..jpc deleted them in there 9 sec stroked out 5.0. Many have them in there cars that are running great. But I think once get to certain point need to be removed.
I see, so what is the purpose of them anyway?
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide

I see, so what is the purpose of them anyway?
To cool the pistons as stated above
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rolltide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

To cool the pistons as stated above
Im sorry for all the questions but if they cool the pistons isnt that a good thing? Why do people remove them?
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide

Im sorry for all the questions but if they cool the pistons isnt that a good thing? Why do people remove them?
Cause they put forged internals in them.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
guzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 182
The forged pistons can take the higher temps. High rpms generate a lot of heat. The non forged pistons without oil coolers can heat up to much potentially and that isn't good. Sounds like more penny pinching. The only reason ford took them off the boss was they found when spinning to 8000 rpm they had too much oil going up under piston and moving around in the crankcase. I don't like that they took them out of the gt. I am sure the gt didn't get forged pistons in place of them. They supposedly did this change during the 2012 production run. I will do more digging to find the related articles but I do think some 2012 are affected with this change.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rolltide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
The forged pistons can take the higher temps. High rpms generate a lot of heat. The non forged pistons without oil coolers can heat up to much potentially and that isn't good. Sounds like more penny pinching. The only reason ford took them off the boss was they found when spinning to 8000 rpm they had too much oil going up under piston and moving around in the crankcase. I don't like that they took them out of the gt. I am sure the gt didn't get forged pistons in place of them. They supposedly did this change during the 2012 production run. I will do more digging to find the related articles but I do think some 2012 are affected with this change.
Good info! Thanks
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:28 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.