I got 5k to spend on mods. In your opinion...what comes first? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
I got 5k to spend on mods. In your opinion...what comes first?

I'm looking for a daily driver that breaks necks, stops on a dime and pull over a g on the skidpad.
BronkoZombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You should be looking for more money first. Haha j/k I couldn't resist.
James12gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

haha..no kidding. Gotta start somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket start with the basics, exhaust o/r x pipe and tune with boss intake and get a good tune. I would tell your to save a couple for grand and super charge like I did. Got the kit with install and dyno tune for a title over 7k
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket start with the basics, exhaust o/r x pipe and tune with boss intake and get a good tune. I would tell your to save a couple for grand and super charge like I did. Got the kit with install and dyno tune for 8000 and I will be pushing over 600 whp. I went with the Paxton
Supercharger is on the short list..I was worried about bottom end and if my clutch can handle it. Also drivability and gas mileage comes into play. Why Paxton over other types? What boost? You're setup and whp is right where I want to be.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I just got a spec stage 2+ clutch installed for around 700

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

I know the engine will go eventually but I figure I should be able to get 50k miles or more and by that time I will have money saved to do the full rebuild.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
As in other thread. Full exhaust, dyno tune, airraid cold air, boss intake. Will come close to 5k if they install everything but you will have a whole new monster. Also look at a ram clutch that comes with an aluminum flywheel.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: I got 5k to spend on mods. In your opinion...what comes first?

Full exhaust and save towards a supercharger. All of the other under the hood mods are a waste if you have a supercharger on the short list.
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat
Full exhaust and save towards a supercharger. All of the other under the hood mods are a waste if you have a supercharger on the short list.
How a waste? If he goes with a centrifugal blower the boss is perfect. Also the cold air will mount to the blower.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What is he changes his mind and decides to go with a Whipple, Roush, or Kenne Bell? Then he would have thrown a grand away...

The guys is asking for opinions. These are the types of things to think about when you know you will supercharge down the road.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'd save just a lil more and go roush tvs 2300.. I want one bad!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
You and me both!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT
That makes 3 of us

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat
What is he changes his mind and decides to go with a Whipple, Roush, or Kenne Bell? Then he would have thrown a grand away...

The guys is asking for opinions. These are the types of things to think about when you know you will supercharge down the road.
He can sell both and break even really. Boss and cold air don't cost a grand.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT
Roush is a great blower for these cars.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

What about LT headers? Not sure what labor would cost to put them in...
Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Depends on your areas labor rates but I would say $2-300.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16
What about LT headers? Not sure what labor would cost to put them in...
One shop wanted 1000 to install. Another wanted 600. I ended up.doing mine my self.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

He can sell both and break even really. Boss and cold air don't cost a grand.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Roush is a great blower for these cars.
Out of curiosity, why the Roush over a Paxton or Ford Racing one? Centrifugal ones seem to be easier on the car and more daily driver friendly. Picking FI is tough for these cars..so many choices
Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I personally like the thought of all that power instantly instead of building along the rpm curve, that's why I would prefer roush. Also, FRPP is far more expensive for a blower that is not any better

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoZombo

Out of curiosity, why the Roush over a Paxton or Ford Racing one? Centrifugal ones seem to be easier on the car and more daily driver friendly. Picking FI is tough for these cars..so many choices
I have a paxton on my car. Was best pick and will make more power then a roush. Unless getting a 4.0l whipping then the roush is best bet. It still can make 750whp with e85 or race gas.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I also got the Paxton, I prefer the look plus I intend on getting the boss intake. The shop that will be doing the install said the engine could handle the power just fine
Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

what power gains have getting LTs seen from vs just O/R x and stock headers? or has this not been done? sorry to side track...didn't want to start a new thread.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16
what power gains have getting LTs seen from vs just O/R x and stock headers? or has this not been done? sorry to side track...didn't want to start a new thread.
About 15-20whp if still with no cats. If put catted x pipe on then will be basically same as no cats and stock headers.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'd do the suspension first if it were me. Work from the ground up. That's my first performance mod which I just got installed today. Springs, shocks, struts, sway pars and panhard. Get some wider wheels/tires too. I couldn't be happier with the car now. Handles 10x better. Couldn't be happier. Those 5.0's are already very quick cars. You'd still have some left over for boss mani, tune and maybe gears. That's what I'd do anyway :/
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
I'd do the suspension first if it were me. Work from the ground up. That's my first performance mod which I just got installed today. Springs, shocks, struts, sway pars and panhard. Get some wider wheels/tires too. I couldn't be happier with the car now. Handles 10x better. Couldn't be happier. Those 5.0's are already very quick cars. You'd still have some left over for boss mani, tune and maybe gears. That's what I'd do anyway :/
Love this. Get a suspenion kit from eibach, thatll cut a grand outta ur 5k wallet haha
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5

Love this. Get a suspenion kit from eibach, thatll cut a grand outta ur 5k wallet haha
Lots better choices then eibach. Want the best go with bmr.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Yeah idk many ppl who will agree with u but ok.. 1000 for a complete suspension kit is pretty tough to beat
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

I think eibach's great. Don't know much about other brands though tbh. This is my first car I did any suspension mods with. Maybe bmr is better but I know they are a bit pricier. I'm happy with my eibach so far. No complaints yet. Have you used any of the bmr stuff?
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Five grand? Save a little more. Get the paxton kit for $5600. Pay intsall and done. 500+ whp with one upgrade.
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5

Yeah idk many ppl who will agree with u but ok.. 1000 for a complete suspension kit is pretty tough to beat
Look around and see what the pros use in their mustangs. Bmr is the leader in the pack. Hence why they only ones that make front control arms, k member, uca, lca, lca relocation brackets, springs all for the 2011+.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fufi
Five grand? Save a little more. Get the paxton kit for $5600. Pay intsall and done. 500+ whp with one upgrade.
You can get cheaper then that. And combined with a off road x pipe/boss intake can make over 600whp...ask how I know...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:

Look around and see what the pros use in their mustangs. Bmr is the leader in the pack. Hence why they only ones that make front control arms, k member, uca, lca, lca relocation brackets, springs all for the 2011+.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

You can get cheaper then that. And combined with a off road x pipe/boss intake can make over 600whp...ask how I know...
Who cares what the pros use and who cares what is better on the drag strip. Plenty of setups just as good, cheaper and with bushings better for comfort and street driving. But of course your drag race or nothing can't see that. Steeda or eibach or upr all have suspension setups that you will be happy and satisfied with!
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would definitely suggest a blower... If it weren't about being fast you wouldn't be in a 5.0 to begin with
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
+1, I would definately upgrade your suspension and braking before adding any more power. Most mustangs stock have too much power for their stock suspension.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
Sorry bro the mustang isn't a drag car. Any car can be made to be a drag car. And sorry we all don't care about racing at the drag strip....bro

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

Research what? Steeda, eibach and a bunch of others have suspension setups that are being used all over the world on all kinds of race tracks with great results. Just besause you like bmr or someone you know likes then doesn't mean they are better than any other. And yes upr is being used all over the world on the tracks and street to with great results at a cheaper price. The beauty of competition bro.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

+1 I had eibach stuff on my 07 gt and loved it. Will be getting it again for my gt
How do they always measure the mustang/camaro performance. In all the magazine test? People all over. Thats right by the 1/4 mile.

And it isn't cause I am a fan. Its cause simply put BMR is the best. Show me some one that puts as much effort into there suspension as them. Show me some one who makes a 2011+ K MEMBER/Control arms like I said. No one does yet. They are the leaders in t he market. Plain and simple.

ANd you are right. UPR is a hair cheaper on some stuff. After they let every one do the research and copy it.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Who cares what the pros use and who cares what is better on the drag strip. Plenty of setups just as good, cheaper and with bushings better for comfort and street driving. But of course your drag race or nothing can't see that. Steeda or eibach or upr all have suspension setups that you will be happy and satisfied with!
Really? Come on man now your just starting sh*t.. Don't let your arguments from other threads spill into other ones.. Its just like with EVERYTHING.. There's always a top of the line product and always ones that aren't quite up to par.. Not saying they aren't good or even up to par for your typical driver.. I'm not saying BMR is best but if that's what all the pros are using there's prolly a reason.. I personally have FRPP k springs and am happy w them..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT