Custom dyno tune or a SCT HAND HELD TUNEring - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Custom dyno tune or a SCT HAND HELD TUNEring

I was wondering, which tune would be best to do on a 2012 5.0 Mustang. A hand held tune from SCT or BAMA or a custom Dyno tune from a shop like HOUSE OF BOOST, I want to get the most out of the engine with a CAI and TUNE!! Any help would be great!'. Thanks!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Custom dyno tune or a SCT HAND HELD TUNEring

I would suggest the steeda intake and tuner combo: 2011 2012 Mustang Power Pak Kit 555-3935 555-3936, that seems to have the best results at the strip and on a dyno. A custom dyno tune is only necessary when you start mixing and matching mods, if you do some exhaust work it would be beneficial cut an intake alone isn't worth it to go custom dyno tune
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

hang held tune will work fine for bolt ons.
CoyoteAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
If the only mod your going to do is the cai then get the dyno tune but if you plan on doing more mods then the sct with a tune should work for you now till your done modding then get the dyno tune. It just saves money vs getting a dyno tune for every mod. If you have the money by all means get the dyno tune for every mod
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Just get a canned tune for now. No reason to waste money on a dyno tune with such simple mods.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Unless your doing some heavy modding get a Sct tuner-bama has a good deal
Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Free tunes for life too
Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mady View Post
Free tunes for life too
+1 and they have very good customer service
Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Also if want most from the tune go with a tune from lethal, evolution, livernois, not Bama.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Also if want most from the tune go with a tune from lethal, evolution, livernois, not Bama.
Bama offers revised tunes, just need to datalog, and they'll warranty the 8th cylinder
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
most aggressive doesn't mean best. the lund tunes might make more power and produce a better 1/4 mile time but there is way more to a daily driver tune than that!.there are tones of people that have had drivability issues running canned lethal tunes, also the most engine failures to date. and that is from the tune being to aggressive. some people prefer a smoother safer more reliable tune over a faster 1/4 time. the tunes with the best track record would be from steeda, aed and bama since bama warranty's for the very thing that other tunes have caused.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
most aggressive doesn't mean best. the lund tunes might make more power and produce a better 1/4 mile time but there is way more to a daily driver tune than that!.there are tones of people that have had drivability issues running canned lethal tunes, also the most engine failures to date. and that is from the tune being to aggressive. some people prefer a smoother safer more reliable tune over a faster 1/4 time. the tunes with the best track record would be from steeda, aed and bama since bama warranty's for the very thing that other tunes have caused.
+1
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Again where proof of these failures? You stated this before. And lundracing has tuned the fastest 5.0's in the world. Along with other fastest mustangs period. There is a reason they are best. What does bama and the rest have? That's right the fastest v6 which they don't hold no more. Lund has also tune more 5.0's then anyone. He does all tunes for evolution, lethal, Lundracing. What better is he does it as a hobbies. As it is not his real job. He is a pilot. He does now have help of Ken bjonnes. Who left Diablo to work with him.

Shawn at AED is pretty good. But again his tunes are not proven like the lund tunes.

The issues come from the cam tunes. Which has been proven some cars do not like them. I seen personally a car run great with one. 6 months later reload that tune and car hated it. Also just like any tuner lundracing will adjust tune if you datalog.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414

Bama offers revised tunes, just need to datalog, and they'll warranty the 8th cylinder
Some don't need to warranty number 8. Some do. Almost everyone will revise tunes with datalogs.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I say with everything there is always something that is better but its what is easier that makes a different, I am with bama till I turbo the stang just because I can get a free update with any mod I do where ever I buy the part. Bama is not bad but not the best either but they are easy to work with for my simple mods I have. I don't have the fastest stang but it works for me. I would love to have lund dyno tune my car with the twin turbo setup or the roush setup. I am worried about my #8 though but I'm not scared to push my car withen safe limits of the stock intake.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweigt07
I say with everything there is always something that is better but its what is easier that makes a different, I am with bama till I turbo the stang just because I can get a free update with any mod I do where ever I buy the part. Bama is not bad but not the best either but they are easy to work with for my simple mods I have. I don't have the fastest stang but it works for me. I would love to have lund dyno tune my car with the twin turbo setup or the roush setup. I am worried about my #8 though but I'm not scared to push my car withen safe limits of the stock intake.
Understandable. But any time you mod and do any can tune you take a chance of it not being right. That is any tune from any tuner. Be it idle, A/F, Rev limiter.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I say get whichever one you feel like is the best. Bama has a warranty, free tuning for life, and good customer service while others like Lund have more aggressive tunes which are faster.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Understandable. But any time you mod and do any can tune you take a chance of it not being right. That is any tune from any tuner. Be it idle, A/F, Rev limiter.
Yeah I know my idle was set pretty low so I sent it back in to get revised, I'm not near any good tuners so I kinda have to take that chance I can get it dynoed just not tuned up here
Old 06-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweigt07

Yeah I know my idle was set pretty low so I sent it back in to get revised, I'm not near any good tuners so I kinda have to take that chance I can get it dynoed just not tuned up here
Where you at?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But any time he mods he'd have to pay for a tune elsewhere, but with bama it's like 3 easy steps and free. Free is definitely what makes bama stand out, I'm sure you can squeeze out a few more hp with Lund, but if $$$ is a priority, how is bama not the way to go?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where you at?
I'm stationed in Minot, ND
Old 06-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:

But any time he mods he'd have to pay for a tune elsewhere, but with bama it's like 3 easy steps and free. Free is definitely what makes bama stand out, I'm sure you can squeeze out a few more hp with Lund, but if $$$ is a priority, how is bama not the way to go?
Free is not always better. And as stated a lot of places will adjust tune for simple bolt ons now.

And it isn't a few HP. Same dyno same day showed 21whp change in my buddies car from loading his Bama racing tune to loading his lund racing tune. All he did was let car cool.down 20 min each time and switch tunes. Only mods on the car was cold air, off road x pipe, GT500 mufflers. He then drove on both stating he felt a noticeable difference. And I noticed to when we raced with him on each tune.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

His a/f was better as well. More constant at a certain set amount. Not all over.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

At the track car ran 12.7@112 on Bama tune. 12.5@114 on lund tune. With in 10 min of each other. Both was a 1.8 60ft.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

When Modding and spending my money I want the best for my money. But that's me.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

His a/f was better as well. More constant at a certain set amount. Not all over.
Surely he data logged it and had bama revise it? Or was this tune as is? If that's the case than yeah cars vary and the canned
Tune obviously
Won't always be spot on... But tell me, if I buy a Lund tune from a website, he can revise it if I add
Another mod free of charge?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:

Surely he data logged it and had bama revise it? Or was this tune as is? If that's the case than yeah cars vary and the canned
Tune obviously
Won't always be spot on... But tell me, if I buy a Lund tune from a website, he can revise it if I add
Another mod free of charge?
If buy from Lundracing I think they do. Have to check with them or place buy it.

The two tunes compared was just two canned tunes compared as received. He datalogged with lund and got more out of it.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

Again where proof of these failures? You stated this before. And lundracing has tuned the fastest 5.0's in the world. Along with other fastest mustangs period. There is a reason they are best. What does bama and the rest have? That's right the fastest v6 which they don't hold no more. Lund has also tune more 5.0's then anyone. He does all tunes for evolution, lethal, Lundracing. What better is he does it as a hobbies. As it is not his real job. He is a pilot. He does now have help of Ken bjonnes. Who left Diablo to work with him.

Shawn at AED is pretty good. But again his tunes are not proven like the lund tunes.

The issues come from the cam tunes. Which has been proven some cars do not like them. I seen personally a car run great with one. 6 months later reload that tune and car hated it. Also just like any tuner lundracing will adjust tune if you datalog.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Some don't need to warranty number 8. Some do. Almost everyone will revise tunes with datalogs.
Again, most people don't care if he has tuned the fastest 5.0! Like I said before, there is way more to a tune then a fast 1/4. Most of us prefer a safer more reliable better drivability tune for our daily drivers. We know the 1/4 is all you care about but for most of us we like that bama warranties against the very things aggressive tunes like Lund causes.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote:

Free is not always better. And as stated a lot of places will adjust tune for simple bolt ons now.

And it isn't a few HP. Same dyno same day showed 21whp change in my buddies car from loading his Bama racing tune to loading his lund racing tune. All he did was let car cool.down 20 min each time and switch tunes. Only mods on the car was cold air, off road x pipe, GT500 mufflers. He then drove on both stating he felt a noticeable difference. And I noticed to when we raced with him on each tune.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

At the track car ran 12.7@112 on Bama tune. 12.5@114 on lund tune. With in 10 min of each other. Both was a 1.8 60ft.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

When Modding and spending my money I want the best for my money. But that's me.
Again the most aggressive isn't always better.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running lunds 93 aggressive tune right now and couldn't be happier. about to retune for longtubes and off road shorty x once they get here.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have a SCT TUNE with CAI !! After downloaded on my 5.0 2012. went to Hoise of bust and had a Dyno and checked the settings !! He set just s little richer Nd mad a 33 HP gain !! Very happy with it!!

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
I have a SCT TUNE with CAI !! After downloaded on my 5.0 2012. went to Hoise of bust and had a Dyno and checked the settings !! He set just s little richer Nd mad a 33 HP gain !! Very happy with it!!
I went with the 93 tune!! Now my problem is traction!! Went with a wider tire from Hancook hr3 . Still spinning thru 2nd and 3rd

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote:
I have a SCT TUNE with CAI !! After downloaded on my 5.0 2012. went to House of Boost and had a Dyno and checked the settings !! He set just s little richer Nd mad a 33 HP gain !! Very happy with it!!

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I went with the 93 tune!! Now my problem is traction!! Went with a wider tire from Hancook hr3 . Still spinning thru 2nd and 3rd
Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

Again, most people don't care if he has tuned the fastest 5.0! Like I said before, there is way more to a tune then a fast 1/4. Most of us prefer a safer more reliable better drivability tune for our daily drivers. We know the 1/4 is all you care about but for most of us we like that bama warranties against the very things aggressive tunes like Lund causes.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I care about driveability. I drive my car everyday. 7 days a week. If I don't drive it my wife drives it. It just so happens it performs great on the street and on the track. And lund isn't the only person I recommend. Chris from HPX motorsports is great. He actually did my tranny tune for the stall. Livernois is another great place. Along with jpc. All who are better then Bama. And I know from experience as well as another on here Chris with hpx will go out his way to make sure your tune is right. Not only me but another he spent well into the night with datalogging making it perfect.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------
Dyno with Hood closed and you will notice gains come tune. Cold air only dyno good. No real.huge track gains.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

The guy who does the tunes at House of Boost use to work with Ford and is very well know in this are for his tunes. I felt that after installing my tune from SCT IF HE WENT THRU ANDCHECK THE SETTING I would need to worry to much!! Again... I'm very happy with it!! Only other changes has been changing the axle back exhaust from stock to Roush. And now I'm trying magnaflow cat back!!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
The guy who does the tunes at House of Boost use to work with Ford and is very well know in this are for his tunes. I felt that after installing my tune from SCT IF HE WENT THRU ANDCHECK THE SETTING I would need to worry to much!! Again... I'm very happy with it!! Only other changes has been changing the axle back exhaust from stock to Roush. And now I'm trying magnaflow cat back!!
Why not get off road xpipe instead? Cheaper and better gains then the cat back. Plus will sound great with the roush mufflers.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Also you should know lund has software no one else has for these cars. But a few other people. He can get to stuff sct can't even touch. Stuff other tuners can't touch. Only hand full people have the ability right now.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The little time I've tried them... Can't say I'm real happy with them!! I'm sure I'll go back with the Roush and check in with the x-pipe!! The magmaflows didn't cost me anything!! A buddy had them on his car... I did some electrical work for him so he just gave them to me!! I think I can tell alittle diff in power, but I sure love the sound of the Roush

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote:

Why not get off road xpipe instead? Cheaper and better gains then the cat back. Plus will sound great with the roush mufflers.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Also you should know lund has software no one else has for these cars. But a few other people. He can get to stuff sct can't even touch. Stuff other tuners can't touch. Only hand full people have the ability right now.
How much is the Lund tune!! And can I use the same CAI that I have!! Got it through JLT??
Old 06-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

got a question. thinking about switching to roush. will the roush be to loud with longtubes/ offroad x?

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:
The little time I've tried them... Can't say I'm real happy with them!! I'm sure I'll go back with the Roush and check in with the x-pipe!! The magmaflows didn't cost me anything!! A buddy had them on his car... I did some electrical work for him so he just gave them to me!! I think I can tell alittle diff in power, but I sure love the sound of the Roush

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

How much is the Lund tune!! And can I use the same CAI that I have!! Got it through JLT??
lunds tune for email ranges 175-200 for na. depending on where you get it from. yes ou can use jlt
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126
got a question. thinking about switching to roush. will the roush be to loud with longtubes/ offroad x?

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

lunds tune for email ranges 175-200 for na. depending on where you get it from. yes ou can use jlt
It will be loud with lt's and off x.

As above when you order tune you tell them what mods are. They right maf function for the cold air you have.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:

Lol i get it your on lund's nuts. But again not everyone wants the most aggressive tune buddy. I as well as others will give up some hp for more reliability.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Why not Bama? In my experience with a few over at S197, Bama is at least on par with other tunes. Haven't seen anything but good results from Bama tunes for the S197. With my mods, I don't see how anything short of a Dyno tune will give me more than 108 MPH.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

Why not Bama? In my experience with a few over at S197, Bama is at least on par with other tunes. Haven't seen anything but good results from Bama tunes for the S197. With my mods, I don't see how anything short of a Dyno tune will give me more than 108 MPH.
You realize stock cars on average go 110-114. That is in worse da and best.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT