2013 track pack - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
2013 track pack

Guys im trying to figure this out.

so everyone is telling me that on their 13s they got a manual that says the car takes 5w20.

i got a track pack and im wondering if thats why my car takes 5w50?

Is there anyone else who has a 13 and a track pack that can solve this mystery for me please.

thanks
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Dang thts a lil heavy.. What does ur oil cap say? If it says 5w-50 id use 50.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 2013 track pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5 View Post
Dang thts a lil heavy.. What does ur oil cap say? If it says 5w-50 id use 50.
yeah
im actually looking at the slip in my manual, it says right on top the following mustang gt track pack information supplements information found in the technical specifications chart in your owners manual
then it says engine oil, 8.5 quarts motor craft 5W50 full synthetic motor oil.

so i guess its a track pack thing.
the boss uses 5W50 and so does the gt500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So does the 5.0 aluminator
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
So does the 5.0 aluminator
The what?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Frpp's built version of the coyote
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Does your track pack have the ford external oil cooler that is stock on a boss? It should have two coolant lines running to a block sandwiched between the oil filter and the block. That may be where the extra 1/2qt is.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

There have been a lot of threads about this on other forums. Ford recommends 5w50 on the Track Pack cars because they are intended to be used at the track. If you're not tracking it, then 5w20 is recommended. There are plenty of details as to why if you Google it.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
Does your track pack have the ford external oil cooler that is stock on a boss? It should have two coolant lines running to a block sandwiched between the oil filter and the block. That may be where the extra 1/2qt is.
Yes it does

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
There have been a lot of threads about this on other forums. Ford recommends 5w50 on the Track Pack cars because they are intended to be used at the track. If you're not tracking it, then 5w20 is recommended. There are plenty of details as to why if you Google it.
I'm not on the track but I drive it like I stole it all day lol you think it's best to just stick to 5w50? That's what's in it right now
Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There is the extra capacity then. I will checked my level. I put on a ford cooler and just changed the oil. I might be 1/2 qt low yet.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
There is the extra capacity then. I will checked my level. I put on a ford cooler and just changed the oil. I might be 1/2 qt low yet.
Yeah it would make sense.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema View Post
Yes it does

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

I'm not on the track but I drive it like I stole it all day lol you think it's best to just stick to 5w50? That's what's in it right now
Big difference between track driving and fast street driving. Are you holding it in the 4k+ RPM range for 10-20+ minutes while taking 1g turns? If not, 5w20/30 will be fine.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Damn that's high. Didn't know that. I use 5w-30 in my 11 5.0 even though it says 5w-20
BossFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossFiveOh View Post
Damn that's high. Didn't know that. I use 5w-30 in my 11 5.0 even though it says 5w-20
Me too, I think a lot of people don't buy into 5w20 being for any reason other than fuel economy.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Big difference between track driving and fast street driving. Are you holding it in the 4k+ RPM range for 10-20+ minutes while taking 1g turns? If not, 5w20/30 will be fine.
So your saying 5w30 e en though ford is saying 5w50?

What scares me is with all the goofy crap that happens with these new cars, I'm afraid I'll use 5w30 and something will go wrong. Then I'll blame myself and feel stupid
Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So your saying 5w30 e en though ford is saying 5w50?

What scares me is with all the goofy crap that happens with these new cars, I'm afraid I'll use 5w30 and something will go wrong. Then I'll blame myself and feel stupid
If you're really worried about it use 5w50 or 5w20. There was a long post over on AFM where the Ford rep commented about it but I can't find it =\

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Found it

2013 Mustang 5.0 now takes 5w50. - Ford Mustang Forums
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you're really worried about it use 5w50 or 5w20. There was a long post over on AFM where the Ford rep commented about it but I can't find it =\

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Found it

2013 Mustang 5.0 now takes 5w50. - Ford Mustang Forums
Thanks bro. This is a big help
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks bro. This is a big help
No problem. Unfortunately that thread is a bit of a cluster****...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's simple use what your manual and oil cap says. It's not like they misprint or put the wrong manual in the car if your that curious go ask one of their technicians or service reps.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Can you go from regular to synthetic with no problems? What about going the opposite direction? Ive only used synthetic bu soneone asked me and i told tgem going to synthetic but not tge other way? Was i wrong?
NAVYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYGUY
Can you go from regular to synthetic with no problems? What about going the opposite direction? Ive only used synthetic bu soneone asked me and i told tgem going to synthetic but not tge other way? Was i wrong?
Ive always broken engines in with regular with a break in compound for 1000km then switched over to a slightly heavier synthetic. You can.go back to a conventional but if the car is running nicely on the synthetic why change it? I run 5-w30 in summer and 5-w20 in winter usually in my mach 1. Doesn't consume more than a tablespoon of oil / change. A big part of good engine use is to get it hot by driving it hard. It makes me wonder if people with the new 8.5qt 5-w50 oil cars are doing that enough. Takes more than just 1 pull here and there. A good camyon run or a few laps of a track would probably be good for it. I've actually seen stock injectors that ended up with deposits in them because they were never run wide open to self clean. If I were looking at a 70-80$ 5-50 change I might be very tempted to do a 5-30 in winter for sure... but let me ask you this... if you had a boss, would you use anything other than what ford recommends???
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Ive always broken engines in with regular with a break in compound for 1000km then switched over to a slightly heavier synthetic. You can.go back to a conventional but if the car is running nicely on the synthetic why change it? I run 5-w30 in summer and 5-w20 in winter usually in my mach 1. Doesn't consume more than a tablespoon of oil / change. A big part of good engine use is to get it hot by driving it hard. It makes me wonder if people with the new 8.5qt 5-w50 oil cars are doing that enough. Takes more than just 1 pull here and there. A good camyon run or a few laps of a track would probably be good for it. I've actually seen stock injectors that ended up with deposits in them because they were never run wide open to self clean. If I were looking at a 70-80$ 5-50 change I might be very tempted to do a 5-30 in winter for sure... but let me ask you this... if you had a boss, would you use anything other than what ford recommends???
Ur last sentence is my delima. I have a 13 with track pack. So because of the 5w50 is for the track pack. But I really don't go to the track do everyone and everything is saying just go 5w 30.

I read everything and I'm going to speak to a few ford reps and royal purple. But st this point I'm leaning towards 5w30.

Let's c what happens.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ur last sentence is my delima. I have a 13 with track pack. So because of the 5w50 is for the track pack. But I really don't go to the track do everyone and everything is saying just go 5w 30.

I read everything and I'm going to speak to a few ford reps and royal purple. But st this point I'm leaning towards 5w30.

Let's c what happens.
The track pack 2013 engine is mechanically identical to the non-track pack 2013 engine. The only difference is that you have a bit more oil due to the engine oil cooler, but this doesn't affect the viscosity rating. Ford knows that the 5w20 recommendation was just to meet CAFE requirements and they recommend 5w50 on the Track Pack cars since most people order them to actually track it and 5w50 will provide better protection under those circumstances.

The number of track pack cars is low enough that it probably has no impact on their CAFE numbers, and this is how they can get away with recommending the heavier oil that gets lower fuel economy.

That said, if you ask Ford they are going to tell you to use Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic blend, because that is what the manual states. If you are highly concerned about your warranty, I would follow this recommendation.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Also, I've been wondering ... why did you order a Track Pack car if you aren't going to track it? You could have gotten 3.73s much cheaper and that's really the only thing that will make a difference on the street.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The track pack 2013 engine is mechanically identical to the non-track pack 2013 engine. The only difference is that you have a bit more oil due to the engine oil cooler, but this doesn't affect the viscosity rating. Ford knows that the 5w20 recommendation was just to meet CAFE requirements and they recommend 5w50 on the Track Pack cars since most people order them to actually track it and 5w50 will provide better protection under those circumstances.

The number of track pack cars is low enough that it probably has no impact on their CAFE numbers, and this is how they can get away with recommending the heavier oil that gets lower fuel economy.

That said, if you ask Ford they are going to tell you to use Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic blend, because that is what the manual states. If you are highly concerned about your warranty, I would follow this recommendation.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Also, I've been wondering ... why did you order a Track Pack car if you aren't going to track it? You could have gotten 3.73s much cheaper and that's really the only thing that will make a difference on the street.
Good advice bro. I actually am crazy concerned about the warranty cause of all the crazy problems people have had. I'm so freaked paranoid lmao So I guess I'll stick to the recommended.

And yes I did but it to take it to the track, I LOVE road courses. I enjoy them so much more then drag strips.

But I have a question, you seem to have a amazing understanding of this stuff. The heavier oil offers more protection, but what's the draw back. I'm sure I'll gain a bit of power by going to 5w 30. Is it true the thicker oil will increase the blocks temp? I thought it would be the other way around.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good advice bro. I actually am crazy concerned about the warranty cause of all the crazy problems people have had. I'm so freaked paranoid lmao So I guess I'll stick to the recommended.

And yes I did but it to take it to the track, I LOVE road courses. I enjoy them so much more then drag strips.

But I have a question, you seem to have a amazing understanding of this stuff. The heavier oil offers more protection, but what's the draw back. I'm sure I'll gain a bit of power by going to 5w 30. Is it true the thicker oil will increase the blocks temp? I thought it would be the other way around.
I'm no oil expert, but I've learned a lot by reading up on it when researching what the best stuff to buy was. The thicker stuff will give you better protection at the cost of a smidgeon of power and a bit more fuel economy. I don't think I've heard of it increasing the block temp, but it would make sense. I would expect the heavier oil to dissipate heat less quickly than thinner oil, but that's not a huge concern for you with the Boss Radiator and Engine Oil Cooler that come in the track pack.

I meant road course when I said track btw. I'm going to do some 1/4 mile passes this season, but next year I'm setting this car up to be a road course monster. I'm lucky to have some nice road courses close to me (not the least of which being Mid Ohio).

PS - check out these articles on affordable track days.

The Ten Most Affordable Tracks In The Northeast

The Ten Most Affordable Tracks In The Northwest
Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm no oil expert, but I've learned a lot by reading up on it when researching what the best stuff to buy was. The thicker stuff will give you better protection at the cost of a smidgeon of power and a bit more fuel economy. I don't think I've heard of it increasing the block temp, but it would make sense. I would expect the heavier oil to dissipate heat less quickly than thinner oil, but that's not a huge concern for you with the Boss Radiator and Engine Oil Cooler that come in the track pack.

I meant road course when I said track btw. I'm going to do some 1/4 mile passes this season, but next year I'm setting this car up to be a road course monster. I'm lucky to have some nice road courses close to me (not the least of which being Mid Ohio).

Thanks again bro, uve been a big help

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Quote:

English town here I come! Lmao
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

This is my first chat group ever, so forgive any mistakes. I am sure that you are all aware that Ford deleted the oil squirters and anded forged pistons from the boss. When I ask Ford Racing, they said they were not needed and in some cases were causing oil consumption. I have a 2013 on order: Deep impact Blue, track-pack and recaros. This car has every thing the boss has except the long tube intake, dealers that had these on the ground say the suspension feels like a boss. Ford Racing even says the car is lower than a GT premium. I am most happy about a torsen differential. I suspect the oil cooler has a lot to do with this viscosity and the fact many of us will drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. I will Auto-Cross and pay to run road courses in my area i.e. Ft Worth. Lets face it the 5w-20 with all manufactures was to hit milage #'s. I am also gald to know the valve train click will be a died issue. I was never going to run 5w-20. The big problem is finding that weight in a quality oil. Don't think that Ford does't put Motorcraft out for binds every 6 months or even every 4. I'll share mods later! If you rally want to understand multi-viscosity look at the temps that change it. Hard driving 105F in Texas, go heavy.
gnatstt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

They do not get the forged pistons from the boss. Just a coating on the hyperuetic pistons. Sorry to break it to you. You want forgings you will need to buy a boss.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing and my performance dealer all lied.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Don't know what to tell you. Whoever you talked to didn't know what they were talking about or were trying to sell you on the gt. Fords own website lists forged pistons along with the different manifold as boss specific items. Forged pistons are not mentioned for the gt. they deleted the oil squirters to cut cost. They are worth something to have there without forgings. They deleted them from the boss motor for oil windage issues but that is because hat motor revs higher and in those extreme revs they were having hp loss due to windage.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quzie, thanks. I,ll get back w/ FR, as you know ford doesn't always put a lot of things in writing. For example you can't stick a 3:73 torsen in and not change things, so that it will hook-up correctly coming off the corner.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing, ya just gota the love the way things change(relative to what you are told). Ok Quzie, the truth as of today. The tech I got went to FR's chief eng. They pulled the build sheet on 13 gt's engines. They still retain the Hyperuetic pistons(which are some where between cast and forged) with a coating. The good news is they also retained the SQUIRTERS. Thanks for making me call FR again. 800-ford788 M-F 8-5.5 est. I still think it is the smart mans boss. I get X-plan, so 40k for 37k leaves 7k for mods.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettstang View Post
Ford Racing, ya just gota the love the way things change(relative to what you are told). Ok Quzie, the truth as of today. The tech I got went to FR's chief eng. They pulled the build sheet on 13 gt's engines. They still retain the Hyperuetic pistons(which are some where between cast and forged) with a coating. The good news is they also retained the SQUIRTERS. Thanks for making me call FR again. 800-ford788 M-F 8-5.5 est. I still think it is the smart mans boss. I get X-plan, so 40k for 37k leaves 7k for mods.
And you also can't use x-plan on a Boss. If I were in the market for a stang I would be getting the track pack and Recaros on a base GT. I wish I would have waited and taken the time to plan my "mod road map" before buying an 11 GT Premium, but I had to have the Coyote and got a good deal on my trade in coupled with x-plan and 2011 rebates...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal. I would have went that way myself had I the option when I got mine. Interesting about the squirters since everyone is saying they deleted them for this year.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
Good deal. I would have went that way myself had I the option when I got mine. Interesting about the squirters since everyone is saying they deleted them for this year.
They did. Ford isn't making any 5.0 blocks with oil squirters for '13s and I suspect they are gone in some of the late production '12s as well. I don't trust anything you hear on the phone or in person from Ford. They're all a bunch of idiots and liars. I have a buddy that works at a dealership that got into an arguement with EVERY OTHER sales rep because they were convinced that Recaros were standard on every 2013 Mustang and were telling this to customers, as well as telling my buddy he was wrong for saying that this isn't true.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT