Choice of mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Choice of mods

Okay my budget is between 300-700 bucks a month, I have a 2012 gt...I really have no clue about putting mods into a stang lol but I want some!!...so any suggestions?? And please break it waaaay down for me, like I said I'm brand new to this mod thing....i want to try and get a new mod every 1-3 months
Stangin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Do you want performace or cosmetics?
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Performance first....I'll handle the cosmetics after that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Usually the most Common upgrade is a sct tuner with a cold air intake. Now you can get a variety of place to send you tunes via email. Usually they ask you what mods you have done and they build you a tune and send it to you. A tune with cold air intake and the boss intake manifold.
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Axle back exhaust. It's not really gonna give you anymore power but it'll make your car sound like it should. Prices are roughly 400 and up. Lots of options depending on how loud you want you car to be.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Go with pypes muffler deletes. Car will sound great. Then off road x pipe and a tune from hpx, lund, livernois, jpc. Don't waste the money on the cold air yet.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Choice of mods

roush axleback and tune
Old 06-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Why add an axle back when it does nothing for performance? Special one that is expensive? He wants performance.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You can do a custom muffler delete like I did. Cost me 120 bucks. And I can still unbolt it from the axle if I need to.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Go with pypes muffler deletes. Car will sound great. Then off road x pipe and a tune from hpx, lund, livernois, jpc. Don't waste the money on the cold air yet.
Okay sounds like the off road x pipes and a tune is what I'll be starting off with....are there websites I can get all of this stuff from and do I need to go to ford to have them install it in case of any car warranty issues or can I just take it to a regular mechanic and still not worry about car warranty issues? It's still brand new...only 3000 miles on it so I just want to make sure I do this right
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: Choice of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin87 View Post
Okay sounds like the off road x pipes and a tune is what I'll be starting off with....are there websites I can get all of this stuff from and do I need to go to ford to have them install it in case of any car warranty issues or can I just take it to a regular mechanic and still not worry about car warranty issues? It's still brand new...only 3000 miles on it so I just want to make sure I do this right
If you are worried about the warranty then most of the stuff they just mentioned will void the warranty.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
A tune will void ur warranty
Dbsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin87

Techanically a tune voids warranty. Some dealers have no issues with it. Some stick to their guns.

As far as ordering the stuff lethalperformance, teambeefcakeracing.com, evolutionperoformance, and many others have them all.

Installing off road x is really easy. Tune is even easier. A dealer will rape you on labor. If you don't think can do it take to local mechanic for x pipe.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

Techanically a tune voids warranty. Some dealers have no issues with it. Some stick to their guns.

As far as ordering the stuff lethalperformance, teambeefcakeracing.com, evolutionperoformance, and many others have them all.

Installing off road x is really easy. Tune is even easier. A dealer will rape you on labor. If you don't think can do it take to local mechanic for x pipe.
Or local muffler shop might be you best bet for a xpipe
Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

Or local muffler shop might be you best bet for a xpipe
Moat will not do it do to removing cats. Least in TX.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Moat will not do it do to removing cats. Least in TX.
Depends on inspections in ur area more than likely.. Every muffler shop a hundred miles around here has a pile of them out back lol..
Old 06-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #17

Region: Tennessee
First off get a SCT Tuner, you will see a difference in throttle body response and gas mileage. You will need a tuner with any significant mods in the future. Save your money and go FI, this will be the best performance gain for your money.

Deleting your Factory H-Pipe and Cats will only create additional noise. IMO the 10-15 HP is not worth it. Checkout YouTube and compare your options for exhaust. I have Magnaflow Axlebacks with the factor H-pipe and it has a nice deep sound.

Check out http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com. They have done some decent mods to improve performance on the newer stangs.
Oldsch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsch8
First off get a SCT Tuner, you will see a difference in throttle body response and gas mileage. You will need a tuner with any significant mods in the future. Save your money and go FI, this will be the best performance gain for your money.

Deleting your Factory H-Pipe and Cats will only create additional noise. IMO the 10-15 HP is not worth it. Checkout YouTube and compare your options for exhaust. I have Magnaflow Axlebacks with the factor H-pipe and it has a nice deep sound.

Check out http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com. They have done some decent mods to improve performance on the newer stangs.
Deleting factory x pipe for off road have shown up to 20whp gains. For 250 how is that not one the best mods. And additional noise? Yet it gains power where axle back don't gain no power.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

Deleting factory x pipe for off road have shown up to 20whp gains. For 250 how is that not one the best mods. And additional noise? Yet it gains power where axle back don't gain no power.
How is it not the best mod? How about it will void his factory warranty and he doesn't want that. Your really going to suggest the most aggressive tunes available to a guy who doesn't want to void his warranty?
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Question(s)...how often do people put mods I'm their brand new mustang even though it voids the warranty?....also say if I do get mods that void the warranty and something happens, 1: does it get pretty expensive for maintenance and 2:have any of you guys done it?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Plenty of people have voided their warranty with tunes, and very few have had to shell out money due to parts breaking down and warranty not covering it.

Tune does not void ENTIRE warranty, just the motor and maybe rest of powertrain? I have had a few things fixed under warranty that were not powertrain parts, I even have the prepaid maintenance through ford which they still cover every bit of it and I don't pay a dime!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Return to stock and thats it!
Blackgtcs2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #23

Region: Maryland
What about K&N's. I have heard in the 12s that they can cause debris to get on the electronics in the engine.

Has anyone heard of this and/or know any other solution then compulsively cleaning it?
DC_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackgtcs2012
Return to stock and thats it!
Not that simple. The tune still shows in the computer. No matter what you do.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_1908
What about K&N's. I have heard in the 12s that they can cause debris to get on the electronics in the engine.

Has anyone heard of this and/or know any other solution then compulsively cleaning it?
That is from people over oiling the filter. Oil gets on the maf sensor

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Question(s)...how often do people put mods I'm their brand new mustang even though it voids the warranty?....also say if I do get mods that void the warranty and something happens, 1: does it get pretty expensive for maintenance and 2:have any of you guys done it?
Many have modded with in hours, days of bringing the car home. Buddies of mine I know have put tune-cold air, to full bolt ons on their cars in matter of a week of owning it. NY self I had a boss intake, paxton supercharger, off road x pipe on mine. That all was finished with in 2 days of bringing my 2012 home.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #25

Region: Tennessee
Bottom line, if you choose to make mods you should consider the possibility of voiding the warranty. Most dealerships understand that their regular customers will make mods and won't penalize you for it. However, if you blow the motor and Ford refuses to replace it because their Warrant Group says the failure was due to an unapproved modification, there is nothing the dealership can do for you except sell you another motor. First year coyote guys can verify that.

Any mod that requires a tune puts you at risk as you are changing your ECM factory setting. That's why people always say find a tuner that has experience and knows what he is doing. There are a decent number of shops familiar with the S197 models, the coyote is still fairly new.

Eh
Oldsch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

How is it not the best mod? How about it will void his factory warranty and he doesn't want that. Your really going to suggest the most aggressive tunes available to a guy who doesn't want to void his warranty?
Quote:
Okay my budget is between 300-700 bucks a month, I have a 2012 gt...I really have no clue about putting mods into a stang lol but I want some!!...so any suggestions?? And please break it waaaay down for me, like I said I'm brand new to this mod thing....i want to try and get a new mod every 1-3 months
So where did he say he didn't want to void warranty? And not most aggressive tunes actually. A dyno tune will be more aggressive actually. Cause lund or no other tuner will push limits on a mail order tune. In a dyno tune you can do this as you can see everything going on right then. Like running 26* timing and a a/f of 12.8 while spinning engine to 7800rpms. That is what was done to my bolt on manual with a dyno tune. 464whp/409wtq sae. That is even with 4.10 gears and 305dr's. Which if you know anything soft big tires are not best for dyno runs. And steeper gears make numbers look lower.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

So where did he say he didn't want to void warranty? And not most aggressive tunes actually. A dyno tune will be more aggressive actually. Cause lund or no other tuner will push limits on a mail order tune. In a dyno tune you can do this as you can see everything going on right then. Like running 26* timing and a a/f of 12.8 while spinning engine to 7800rpms. That is what was done to my bolt on manual with a dyno tune. 464whp/409wtq sae. That is even with 4.10 gears and 305dr's. Which if you know anything soft big tires are not best for dyno runs. And steeper gears make numbers look lower.
Keep reading buddy, it's about his 3rd or 4th post. He gets joe blow mechanic to install and is very concerned about keeping his warranty. So again a Lund tune is not the best choice for him.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Keep reading buddy, it's about his 3rd or 4th post. He gets joe blow mechanic to install and is very concerned about keeping his warranty. So again a Lund tune is not the best choice for him.
Are you seriously gonna start something with wnt2gofst on every thread. Grow up. It's getting old.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckChorris

Are you seriously gonna start something with wnt2gofst on every thread. Grow up. It's getting old.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

+1 lol
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
^ditto, he never said Lund is one and only proven tune; as he stated, he doesn't run Lund. He offers advice from experience and his posts relate to OPs topic...nothing of which you offer in yours. Getting old....
Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Getting real old bro. Just stop. Damn...
5.0MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16
^ditto, he never said Lund is one and only proven tune; as he stated, he doesn't run Lund. He offers advice from experience and his posts relate to OPs topic...nothing of which you offer in yours. Getting old....
I'm giving the op my opinion just like he is. Wnt2gofst has drag racing experience....and only cares about the fastest tune. I'm telling the op(that doesn't know much about mustangs,wants his warranty and doesn't drag his car) that the most aggressive Lund tune isn't a good option for him and that removing the cats and tuning will void his warranty on his brand new car. Which is better advise then telling him to buy the most aggressive email tune out there.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:

I'm giving the op my opinion just like he is. Wnt2gofst has drag racing experience....and only cares about the fastest tune. I'm telling the op(that doesn't know much about mustangs,wants his warranty and doesn't drag his car) that the most aggressive Lund tune isn't a good option for him and that removing the cats and tuning will void his warranty on his brand new car. Which is better advise then telling him to buy the most aggressive email tune out there.
No you are wrong. I don't have just drag racing experience. I DD both my 5.0's. And stated long ago as others tuning will void engine warranty. Any Modding period can void warranty on your car. Doing lowering springs can void drive train as you change angles to other suspension and drive shaft on tranny side and rear end. But no one ever tells people that. And lund is just a better tune. Not really more aggressive.

To me sounds like you have a personal agenda towards lund/me or something.

Do I car about fastest tune in my car sure. But I also have it set pretty safe. Why cause I went some where that knows what doing with getting moat out car without putting it on the limits.

My wife, mom, mother in law, have my drive my car. None them have issue. None worry about it. Only thing don't like is windows are so dark. Not to mention they have even drove it with bigs/little's on it.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:

Stick to stock, its still a freakin beast machine.
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Oh and my wife will be driving it soon at track for a shootout. Cs I can't with emergancy surgery I just had. She been driving it everyother day to work. But if go by someone its a drag only car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120604_182632.png
Views:	166
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	53243

Attachment 53244

Name:	ForumRunner_20120604_182713.png
Views:	168
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	53245

Name:	ForumRunner_20120604_182729.png
Views:	170
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	53246

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT