CAI & Tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
CAI & Tuner

Ok, has any official maganize, kind of like "Consumer Reports", and actually rated the various brands? I want to get the best one but not by personal bias but data to bavk it up.
NAVYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Forums are the best place to get tips for stuff like this, you can talk to real people with real experience with the objects. I would take that any day over any sort of magazine, critics are not always the best people to ask.

That said, SCT is by far the most recommended by enthusiasts as a whole

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #3

Region: Georgia
I have an Airaid CAI with the SCT iTSX tuner using a BAMA tune and I can't say enough about it.....that being said, the Steeda CAI worked well for me in the past.
GeorgiaCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
http://www.modularfords.com/f259/cai...uality-185310/

Read this...
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
After countless reads and reviews...air raid and steeds seem to be front runners for consistency. Consistency being key word.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Re: CAI & Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16 View Post
After countless reads and reviews...air raid and steeds seem to be front runners for consistency. Consistency being key word.
YEP...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #7

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYGUY
Ok, has any official maganize, kind of like "Consumer Reports", and actually rated the various brands? I want to get the best one but not by personal bias but data to bavk it up.
Check out this site:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com
Oldsch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsch8
Go to.a magazine who.favors whoever they are reviewing at the time or pays the most for an add?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for your experience and advice.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Steeds worked with FRPP on there model of CAI. Just what I read and will be purchasing when the time comes.
JasnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Go to.a magazine who.favors whoever they are reviewing at the time or pays the most for an add?
This. There are no "consumer reports" for aftermarket parts. All the magazines are in bed with some parts company or another. They survive on ad revenue (the $15/yr you pay for a sub is a laughable portion of the operating cost) and it will always be like this.

Not to mention - you write a bad review about someone's product, and you never get another one to test. Ever. This hurts you since you don't get to review their products, and you lose subs since your competitors review more popular products. When you lose subs, advertisers pull their funding. It's a pretty vicious world that I am glad I don't live in.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #12

Region: Tennessee
Could not have stated better.....

(y)
Oldsch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Such a corrupt industry
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
Such a corrupt industry
It really is. Companies pay so much to people to run certain products. To have them claim they are the best etc. A buddy did real world testing. He paid for a jlt, roush, airraid, steeds. Did the track testing to see any real gains. Datalogs of maf signals etc. Steeds then sent him there boss intake free to test. He tested it and gave them his reviews. Here is his review. His car is a full bolt on auto. Boss swapped engine. A real boss engine. He bought it and pulled the regular 5.0 engine. His car has been 10.9's. He DD's it. Does his own tuning with software only a few people have. He also tuned the fastest bolt on auto in the country that went 11.00@124. Here is his review.

http://www.modularfords.com/f259/cai...uality-185310/
Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, who would've thunk it! LOL
Old 06-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So, get this. I was driving home after getting my quarter windows tinted black before I install my louvers. I saw JLT! Yep, didn't know the company is about 2 mi from my house. Chesapeake VA. Anyways, I go in and ask if they are cheaper than AM, not really. With the discount AM beats them; even with the middle man.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
So, get this. I was driving home after getting my quarter windows tinted black before I install my louvers. I saw JLT! Yep, didn't know the company is about 2 mi from my house. Chesapeake VA. Anyways, I go in and ask if they are cheaper than AM, not really. With the discount AM beats them; even with the middle man.
Its jlt I expect nothing less.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Pretty hard to justify the price of such a "cheap" product... Plastic tube, filter, couple clamps, couplers, and a mediocre heat shield... I really doubt the r&d could be extensive enough to rack up the price...
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

This. There are no "consumer reports" for aftermarket parts. All the magazines are in bed with some parts company or another. They survive on ad revenue (the $15/yr you pay for a sub is a laughable portion of the operating cost) and it will always be like this.

Not to mention - you write a bad review about someone's product, and you never get another one to test. Ever. This hurts you since you don't get to review their products, and you lose subs since your competitors review more popular products. When you lose subs, advertisers pull their funding. It's a pretty vicious world that I am glad I don't live in.
Just find some random shmoe on YouTube with before and after dyno videos or 1/4 mile videos for reference
Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo

Just find some random shmoe on YouTube with before and after dyno videos or 1/4 mile videos for reference
And how can you be sure that the "random schmoe" isn't working for or being paid off by that company? I believe the OP was looking for something more reputable.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

And how can you be sure that the "random schmoe" isn't working for or being paid off by that company? I believe the OP was looking for something more reputable.
I guess you can't... I'd think that anyone reputable would be more inclined to advertise for pay though
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #22

Region: Missouri

Steeda gets very high marks. ISO 9001 company that spends big bucks on R&D. Great quality and a BIG improvement in performance..

2012 Ingot Silver Brembo GT 5.0
Suspension and CAI by Steeda
Custom Tuned by Brenspeed
Wheels by TSW
Exhaust by Magnaflow
vista6019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I really like my steeda CAI and boss manifold setup. Fit is good too.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Don't waste your money on a CAI. Just get a drop in K&N and tune. Save that money for a Off Road X Pipe or Boss Manifold
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, thats what im leaning towards now. It does look cool under the hood but the gaunscarent worth it.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, thats what im leaning towards now. It does look cool under the hood but the gaunscarent worth it.
Dude hearing my jlt suck in air when I throttle
It is reason enough for purchase lol, and it looks better than the oem air box, since you care about coolness, how could you not get a CAI?

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus
Don't waste your money on a CAI. Just get a drop in K&N and tune. Save that money for a Off Road X Pipe or Boss Manifold
http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-19...-n-filter.html waste of money?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414

Dude hearing my jlt suck in air when I throttle
It is reason enough for purchase lol, and it looks better than the oem air box, since you care about coolness, how could you not get a CAI?

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-19...-n-filter.html waste of money?
Dyno results mean crap when comparing open filter with Hood open. How many cars you know drive around with their Hood open in the air. GIVE YOU A HINT NONE.

Several people have done test. Jlt claims .1-.2 in the 1/4. Guess what. All test showed the tune gained the cold air didn't help gain crap.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Dyno results mean crap when comparing open filter with Hood open. How many cars you know drive around with their Hood open in the air. GIVE YOU A HINT NONE.

Several people have done test. Jlt claims .1-.2 in the 1/4. Guess what. All test showed the tune gained the cold air didn't help gain crap.
Open hood vs open hood... So no air gets in the engine bay at 40+ mph?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

I have an AEM and like it. It's an enclosed type filter, close to stock. Honestly I bought it because I got a great deal on it but I'd buy another no problem. Never hear them mentioned or see write ups on them, I guess it because it's not open like the other CAI. Oh it fits with my Boss intake also.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So, I haven't been in a vehicle with a CAI. Can you really hear it suuuuuuuuck in air over the pipes?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So, I haven't been in a vehicle with a CAI. Can you really hear it suuuuuuuuck in air over the pipes?
Yes. I didn't like it and it's part of the reason I sold it.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes. I didn't like it and it's part of the reason I sold it.
On my JLT you can plug up the sound tube, would that have helped?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have talked to the two most reputable tuners here in Charlotte and both recommend the JLT if you plan to push more than 400 HP at some point in the future. The others are all fine, but fall short in higher power applications. I had a C&L on my 06 and it worked great. I plan on putting the JLT on my 2013 5.0. To me the tune is as, if not more important. BAMA is good, but will not touch a true "dyno" tune by a custom tuner. If you have a programmer and your CAI it's probably the best $250 to $350 you can spend. I agree, SCT is the way to go.
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPERR2013
I have talked to the two most reputable tuners here in Charlotte and both recommend the JLT if you plan to push more than 400 HP at some point in the future. The others are all fine, but fall short in higher power applications. I had a C&L on my 06 and it worked great. I plan on putting the JLT on my 2013 5.0. To me the tune is as, if not more important. BAMA is good, but will not touch a true "dyno" tune by a custom tuner. If you have a programmer and your CAI it's probably the best $250 to $350 you can spend. I agree, SCT is the way to go.
Just a tune puts some of these cars over 400rwhp I don't know what they are getting at with that! Second some of the fastest cars around use the steeda and airaid cai. And last unless you can get a dyno tune from a shop that is experienced at tuning the new 5.0 then a email tune from a reputable shop is better. Some shops have been tuning a long time but the new 5.0 is a new world. And they all use sct...
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Very true. One of the shops I mentioned, the owner drives an 11 and has been tuning since they have been out. They have seen 430 RWHP with just tune and CAI. But would highly advise checking out the reputation of anyone who touches your car. Test n tunes are a great place to ask around.
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai