ORDERED THE O/R X - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
ORDERED THE O/R X

I just got off the phone with Adam at UPR and ordered one of there O/R X-Pipes. Gotta get up with Bama soon and see about getting a new tune for it. I'll go to fastlane soon after for pulls and to look at AFR and ETC. Any pointers??, or tips with what I am doing is appreciated. Doing myself. I got a lift and all the tools a man could ever want since I am a tool man for a living. I will be pulling the X thats on it now. So this will be making up to my Borla "S" (stinger). It's a cat back now and sounds awesome. I just hope it still sounds as good. I am looking forward to the HP gain and feel.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: New York
U need to get it tuned to see good gains with a off road pipe as the engine was programmed with the fact that cats restricted flow and caused back pressure so a tune would be a good thing to do

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Also it gets rid of the check engine lights on ur dash and eliminates the emissions codes that will come up
Mady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
As said above, you'll want a tune. I posted a write-up about installing the upr offload x this past winter. Should be easy to find if you search for it or look through threads I started.
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
As said above, you'll want a tune. I posted a write-up about installing the upr offload x this past winter. Should be easy to find if you search for it or look through threads I started.
Very helpful thread I might add just wish I would have seen it before I install the cat deletes. Make sure you a long extension and a breaker bar to get the passenger side flange bolt off. I maid my extension 27 inches long. The other bolts are pretty easy to get too. I think Napoleon said you can remove the passenger side inner fender also to get to it. Good luck
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: ORDERED THE O/R X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom View Post
Very helpful thread I might add just wish I would have seen it before I install the cat deletes. Make sure you a long extension and a breaker bar to get the passenger side flange bolt off. I maid my extension 27 inches long. The other bolts are pretty easy to get too. I think Napoleon said you can remove the passenger side inner fender also to get to it. Good luck
+1 .. Napoleons thread helped me instal with no problems. Very Helpful..

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom View Post
I used two extensions and some strong language, ran it down through the engine bay. I think I tried taking off the splash guards and still couldn't get to it.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Here's that thread btw.

Off-road x-pipe install notes and video
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:

I used two extensions and some strong language, ran it down through the engine bay. I think I tried taking off the splash guards and still couldn't get to it.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Here's that thread btw.

Off-road x-pipe install notes and video
I did same thing. Two extensions. Went from top right by the battery. Broke right loose.

Make sure use 1/2 drive.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
I just got off the phone with Adam at UPR and ordered one of there O/R X-Pipes. Gotta get up with Bama soon and see about getting a new tune for it. I'll go to fastlane soon after for pulls and to look at AFR and ETC. Any pointers??, or tips with what I am doing is appreciated. Doing myself. I got a lift and all the tools a man could ever want since I am a tool man for a living. I will be pulling the X thats on it now. So this will be making up to my Borla "S" (stinger). It's a cat back now and sounds awesome. I just hope it still sounds as good. I am looking forward to the HP gain and feel.
Did you make sure the upr o/r x will fit right with the Borla cat back? My Borla s type if same size pipe as stock 2 3/4 and most o/r x pipes I see are 3 inch. I know you can get a full 3 inch Borla system but they told me in there testing it is only good for cars running above 500hp because in lower hp cars you want some back pressure.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
Did you make sure the upr o/r x will fit right with the Borla cat back? My Borla s type if same size pipe as stock 2 3/4 and most o/r x pipes I see are 3 inch. I know you can get a full 3 inch Borla system but they told me in there testing it is only good for cars running above 500hp because in lower hp cars you want some back pressure.
I told the guy at UPR I had the borla catback "S" and was gonna remove my Current X and put the UPR on and he told me it would fit fine.I think with the UPR,Borla,JLT CAI(already know there is very little if any gain)and 93-R tune I should be getting over 450 motor easy I think.I don't think back pressure will be a problem.I let you guys know if I feel like it is.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
I told the guy at UPR I had the borla catback "S" and was gonna remove my Current X and put the UPR on and he told me it would fit fine.I think with the UPR,Borla,JLT CAI(already know there is very little if any gain)and 93-R tune I should be getting over 450 motor easy I think.I don't think back pressure will be a problem.I let you guys know if I feel like it is.
450 for sure. You will probably be over 400 at the wheels.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

450 for sure. You will probably be over 400 at the wheels.
Yep..should be around 410-420 to tire.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
You should ask him what the diameter is of the x pipe. Did you get the Borla 3 inch system or the 2 3/4?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

You should ask him what the diameter is of the x pipe. Did you get the Borla 3 inch system or the 2 3/4?
X pipes are 3 in.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

X pipes are 3 in.
And my Borla system is 2 3/4 so there is going to be issues.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

He said no issue.Anybody know??? As for sure? I do some OD measuring b4 install for sure.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
He said no issue.Anybody know??? As for sure? I do some OD measuring b4 install for sure.
you dont know if your borla system is 2 3/4? its just a phone call away to find out if the x pipe you ordered is in fact 3 inch. just go out and measure your borla system.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

To clear this up for guys I just talked to Adam at UPR. These O/R X-pipe for the 11+ is designed for multi fit. So it will fit! All Borla systems is 2 3/4" except for one 3" type they offer which he gave me a part number for. I did not write down or really care.All I was concerned with was fitment. I appreciate you (2011gt85) bringing it up though. I went thru all these concerns before I ordered. Then again today. The pipe will be here today and I will keep you guys posted once I start install and if I run into any problems.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's here! Gotta love it when UPS shows up with goodies! Probably be the weekend or next Before I get this installed. Need to download my new tunes onto my device today.Actually,I need to get my A** to work to pay for this kinda stuff...lol!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well it's here! Gotta love it when UPS shows up with goodies! Probably be the weekend or next Before I get this installed. Need to download my new tunes onto my device today.Actually,I need to get my A** to work to pay for this kinda stuff...lol!
Return your car to stock before doing that. The SCT software has a history of bricking the tuner and if you aren't stock when this happens, you'll be having the car towed to ford to get the ECU reflashed instead of a quick call to SCT to get the tuner running again.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Also, if this is your DD, make sure you do it during business hours. SCT has no night/weekend support so if you brick it Friday night, you won't have a car until Monday morning.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ok.......First thanks again to Napoleon85 for the write up and feedback. I carried my car to a shop that I have a key to.Nice being by myself and just take my time looking around under this thing.
I put my UPR together.Not strapped or nothing just slided it as it would basically be.I Measured everything and the UPR reduces to 2 3/4 for the fitment.My coupling is 2 3/4 so its gonna be perfect fit there.I went ahead and sprayed some ZEP on the O2's and the bolts holding the Cats.So, I think I will be good when I go back.Its only a mile down the road.I have it in my driveway and will not even drive it again till time to go do this.I got to first get with SCT in the morning to get some mess straight on my tuner.Then I can load the tunes Bama emailed me already.I need SCT to take over my computer and get them loaded and look at my stock tune and if it's F*cked unlock my device and let me pull in the 93-R tune I been running for stock.
I guess I could go buy some bolts tonight or tomorrow.
Napoleon......What size did you buy.Aren't the OEM header bolts studs? Are the not long enough? Trouble getting out? I am just not sure what exactly you did? Wasn't really thinking about bolts until I got back and read you write up again.You use stainless? Lock washers? Any Blue lock tite? Bring me up to snuff on this bolt issue.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Some have reports that the oem hardware have studs, some have bolts. I had studs and had to buy bolts, but I don't remember what they were. I don't use any washers or loctite since none was used on the factory hardware. II, I just got the widest bolt that I could find to for trough the holes and a matching nut. I think the hole was just under 1/2" wide, and I got bolts about the same length as the factory studs (about 1-1/2" long). Bolts are cheap, if you're unsure I would buy a few sets and you can always return what you don't use.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Ps - zep is badass. You'll need to spray some on the stud/nut from the stock cats to the stock headers.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Some have reports that the oem hardware have studs, some have bolts. I had studs and had to buy bolts, but I don't remember what they were. I don't use any washers or loctite since none was used on the factory hardware. II, I just got the widest bolt that I could find to for trough the holes and a matching nut. I think the hole was just under 1/2" wide, and I got bolts about the same length as the factory studs (about 1-1/2" long). Bolts are cheap, if you're unsure I would buy a few sets and you can always return what you don't use.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Ps - zep is badass. You'll need to spray some on the stud/nut from the stock cats to the stock headers.
I sprayed those.This is where we are talking replacing bolts -correct.Mine a studs too.You have any trouble getting those studs out ?? Seems like they would be pressed in type.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The studs are in the cats so they stay. The headers just have holes for the bolts to pass through. They are pressed in though. You're not getting them out.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
The studs are in the cats so they stay. The headers just have holes for the bolts to pass through. They are pressed in though. You're not getting them out.
Put a nut back on and hit with a hammer. The stud will come out. We took some out to replace them on a friends car when one hers got stripped.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

OK........I got ya now. I'll go look for 4-bolts and 4-good nuts (locking type) 2moro. I'll just re-use the gaskets. Did you TQ or just good and tight? Say you got around 1 1/2" bolts? I'll just be sure they pass thru the X-Pipe thats in my trunk. They look to be about 3/8" in diameter as for the OEM's.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Put a nut back on and hit with a hammer. The stud will come out. We took some out to replace them on a friends car when one hers got stripped.
This is also a option. Are they still long enough? Still better get the 4 bolts and nuts b/c I will have no transportation once I start. Old lady would have to come run me around and all that BS.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Road Trip!

It is better getting bolts and some washers and nuts. How come it didn't come with them. It should have.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
It is better getting bolts and some washers and nuts. How come it didn't come with them. It should have.
Mine didn't either ... that's why I mentioned it in the write-up.

I don't think you would be able to press the studs back in to the off-road pipe. I wasn't able to knock them out with the nut and hammer trick, they were not having any of it.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

Mine didn't either ... that's why I mentioned it in the write-up.

I don't think you would be able to press the studs back in to the off-road pipe. I wasn't able to knock them out with the nut and hammer trick, they were not having any of it.
That's weird. Every one I.seen ordered has come with bolts. Mine and a couple buddies. We all ordered from lethal.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

UPR does not send bolts with none of the pipe orders. All you get is the 2-clamps. I did ask and got a couple free UPR stickers but not in the best of shape.Had a scratch in one and the backing lifted a little on the other and debri got on the sticky.Still usable but I highly doubt I ever put them on anything.The scratch on the good one came from the pipe/shipping.Need to package them better (stickers).Some people cover the car.You know if it's a race car it's common and good free advertisement for whoever it me be.Now if I was sponsored it.....LOL!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Let us know how it sounds with that set up. I also have the borla s type and wondering if it's gonna be Tooo loud
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmag View Post
Let us know how it sounds with that set up. I also have the borla s type and wondering if it's gonna be Tooo loud
Will do man.......I got to give it up to Brian and Adam at SCT for getting a bunch of headaches straight for me. I mean Headaches too! I cant say enough about the great help they gave me. I got my device all straight. I think now when a good day comes I will go get the bolts/nuts and put it on and tune. It's raining like hell here for days it looks like. Anyway,I will be back to this thread with results or impressions soon.May be the w/e just hard to say. Think I will flash to this"new stock tune" I got and put stock CAI on. drive it just for personal satisfaction then come back to shop put JLT CAI, O/R X-pipe on and flash the 93- race tune for those mods and see how she does. Next stop will be at Fastlane in Benson,NC for Dyno pull and maybe go with them custom tuning it. Still on the fence about that one but they are considered one of the best in NC to my understanding.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will do man.......I got to give it up to Brian and Adam at SCT for getting a bunch of headaches straight for me. I mean Headaches too! I cant say enough about the great help they gave me. I got my device all straight. I think now when a good day comes I will go get the bolts/nuts and put it on and tune. It's raining like hell here for days it looks like. Anyway,I will be back to this thread with results or impressions soon.May be the w/e just hard to say. Think I will flash to this"new stock tune" I got and put stock CAI on. drive it just for personal satisfaction then come back to shop put JLT CAI, O/R X-pipe on and flash the 93- race tune for those mods and see how she does. Next stop will be at Fastlane in Benson,NC for Dyno pull and maybe go with them custom tuning it. Still on the fence about that one but they are considered one of the best in NC to my understanding.
The car will run OK without being tuned for the offroad pipe, but you will probably get a CEL regarding the cats. No big deal if you're just going to start it up and drive around the block.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Well finally at 2am I finished installing the UPR O/R X to borla "S"! Well At first I wasn't sure I liked the sound compared to how sweet my catback with X was. It is so F***ing loud it is crazy.I will have to be careful or I will for sure get pulled.Not bad at all on idle and being easy.I Love the gains but not sure yet if I like the sound compared to before but it may grow on me.I only drove about 7 miles.Wanted to heat soak a little and go back 2moro to the lift and tighten bolts again.In fact I may make a change on the bolts one at the time.Should have got some about 1/4" longer so I could use locknuts.I may find a better answer for it 2moro before getting back to the lift.Car feels like more power for sure.Not crazy about having to put the cats back on once a year either,but for now gonna enjoy it.Thanks for the heads up on things Napoleon.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well finally at 2am I finished installing the UPR O/R X to borla "S"! Well At first I wasn't sure I liked the sound compared to how sweet my catback with X was. It is so F***ing loud it is crazy.I will have to be careful or I will for sure get pulled.Not bad at all on idle and being easy.I Love the gains but not sure yet if I like the sound compared to before but it may grow on me.I only drove about 7 miles.Wanted to heat soak a little and go back 2moro to the lift and tighten bolts again.In fact I may make a change on the bolts one at the time.Should have got some about 1/4" longer so I could use locknuts.I may find a better answer for it 2moro before getting back to the lift.Car feels like more power for sure.Not crazy about having to put the cats back on once a year either,but for now gonna enjoy it.Thanks for the heads up on things Napoleon.
No problem man! It really is insane how loud these cars are with no cats, it scares the crap out of people when I gun it in a tunnel or underpass. Do you have any videos yet?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #35
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
YES!! Vids please!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT