4.10 6M Owner Opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9
4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Hi all -

I know that there have been multiple discussions about this so apologies in advance. But since I have not been able to find any recent threads, I just wanted to get opinions on anyone that has gone to 4.10's in the 6MT. I'm about 3 weeks away and leaning towards the 4.10's over 3.73's (have 3.31's right now) and would love to hear from anyone that's been driving with them for a while now.

Aside from rims/tires and suspension mods, this probably the last performance mod for me for a few years. It is my DD but rarely used on the highway unless for a weekend trip to the beach or something. Just looking for some street fun and good bang for the buck. Dont plan on racing so the shift to 5th in 1/4 isn't a concern right now.

Thanks everyone....
ericd306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Go with 3.90's.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Go with 3.90's.
I would but I got my dealer to put in writing that my full warranty will stay intact as long as I used FRPP gears...
ericd306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd306

I would but I got my dealer to put in writing that my full warranty will stay intact as long as I used FRPP gears...
Then go with 3.73's. I had 4.10's. Went from 3.73's. Was a mistake. Hurt top end and 1st gear was way to short.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikesChargedGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: California
Posts: 167
It doesn't hurt top end, do you expect to go over 140 on the streets? U hit 140 fast and if your driving in town you don't need to go that fast, get Em. Don't fear the gear! =P
__________________

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChargedGT
It doesn't hurt top end, do you expect to go over 140 on the streets? U hit 140 fast and if your driving in town you don't need to go that fast, get Em. Don't fear the gear! =P
By pic you don't have a 5.0. So how do you know what it does? I speak from experience. Facts are facts. Step gears kill top end. Why thing new GT500 is geared so low. Why vettes are. Way the tranny is in the 5.0's you don't need steep gears.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

By pic you don't have a 5.0. So how do you know what it does? I speak from experience. Facts are facts. Step gears kill top end. Why thing new GT500 is geared so low. Why vettes are. Way the tranny is in the 5.0's you don't need steep gears.
I think you meant why they're geared so high, now low.
__________________
Previous: '02 GT, '04 GT, '07 GT & a few chevys in between
'13 GT
Woodga16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Region: California
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16

I think you meant why they're geared so high, now low.
Think you meant not not now
__________________
2008 4.0 SOLD (I will miss my first stang forever)
2011 5.0 black on black with 3.73 manual and I still get over 26 mpg
stangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo

Think you meant not not now
Wow, good catch...
__________________
Previous: '02 GT, '04 GT, '07 GT & a few chevys in between
'13 GT
Woodga16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

By pic you don't have a 5.0. So how do you know what it does? I speak from experience. Facts are facts. Step gears kill top end. Why thing new GT500 is geared so low. Why vettes are. Way the tranny is in the 5.0's you don't need steep gears.
Don't argue with the 5.0 god here he knows all! hahaha NOT

did it actually occur to you that some people like a steep gear? let me guess your gears are the best for everyone and the best for drag racing? lol
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
MikesChargedGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: California
Posts: 167
Some people like the gears some people dont, the GT500 is supercharged too much gear and it'll just spin spin spin, and they gotta make CARB happy somehow, I'm sorry I'm not worthy all I have is a 4.6. My friend has a 5.0 tho and just put in 4.10s and loves them but i better tell him to put stock gears back in or he'll get yelled at! Look man different people like different things, 4.10s are awesome...that's just my opinion

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Also my 98 GT topped at 130 after gears it cld get into the power band and pull a nice top speed while I was in fifth
__________________

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
I put. 4.10s in my car a few weeks ago. Made a HUGE difference in my 0-60 time.
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
NuckChorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Don't argue with the 5.0 god here he knows all! hahaha NOT

did it actually occur to you that some people like a steep gear? let me guess your gears are the best for everyone and the best for drag racing? lol
I knew it was just a matter of time before the 12yr old started another argument with wnt2gofst. Seriously. Every single thread you start something with him. Get a life or get a girlfriend and argue with her. This is getting old.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Aside from the attack on wnt2gofst, thanks for the replies. You're all starting to make me question 4.10's and to be honest if I should even pull the 3.31's out. Honestly, halfway through 1st send the rearend sideways with 3.31's so maybe it's not the smartest move. I think I got it in my head that without 3.73's or more gear, I don't have the stock 12 second car that I bought, lol.

Now just not sure if the jump up to 3.73's is worth the 800 bucks!
ericd306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
I'm a little late to the party, but I would go with 3.73s over 4.10s. Just keep in mind that because of the way the mt82 is geared, running 3.73s is similar to running 4.10s with the 05-09 5-speed and rubbing 4.10s would be very similar to running 4.30s. I believe frpp makes 4.30 gears but you didn't see anyone running them on the 05-09s for a reason, it's absolutely ridiculous, hurts top end and makes 1st useless.

I'm in the same dilemma as you, but I have 3.55s and can't justify the cost of putting 3.73s (would go 3.90s but I hear the motive gears whine) in for the small gains I would see.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
KATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cutler Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,593
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

I have the 4.10s in mine, but I have the Auto Trans, my Performance shop gave me quit a bit of info on the Gear changes, partly too because of future SC addition: Because I have a Auto, the 4.10s would be perfect and if Igot the SC with having 4.10, I would still probably be OK/doo able because of Auto. With Manual I would run into problems with those Gears because of Traction, and definately have Traction problems with a SC on it. The word has been: that 4.10s are Awsome on Auto, 3.73 better for Manuel.
__________________
07 GT. SCT: CUSTOM TUNE by "MUSTANG SPECIALTIES". LMR: GEN2 2010 STYLE HEADLIGHTS, RAXIOM: 2010 SMOKED COYOTE TAIL LIGHTS, WHEELS: STAGGERED WHL 22X8.5F-22X10R.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
I have the 4.10s in mine, but I have the Auto Trans, my Performance shop gave me quit a bit of info on the Gear changes, partly too because of future SC addition: Because I have a Auto, the 4.10s would be perfect and if Igot the SC with having 4.10, I would still probably be OK/doo able because of Auto. With Manual I would run into problems with those Gears because of Traction, and definately have Traction problems with a SC on it. The word has been: that 4.10s are Awsome on Auto, 3.73 better for Manuel.
The auto is geared similar to the 5 speed tremec, so 4.10s in the auto is about the same as 3.73s in the manual. Not an exact comparison but close enough.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
KATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cutler Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,593
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
The auto is geared similar to the 5 speed tremec, so 4.10s in the auto is about the same as 3.73s in the manual. Not an exact comparison but close enough.
I heard that the 3.90 was the same as 4.10s.
__________________
07 GT. SCT: CUSTOM TUNE by "MUSTANG SPECIALTIES". LMR: GEN2 2010 STYLE HEADLIGHTS, RAXIOM: 2010 SMOKED COYOTE TAIL LIGHTS, WHEELS: STAGGERED WHL 22X8.5F-22X10R.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Look at the fastest bone stock 5.0's. 3.73 for the manual and the auto still had its 3.15's. Auto went 12.37 and manual.went 12.22 with 3.73.

4.10 cause you to shift before even getting to 40 out 1st.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd306
Aside from the attack on wnt2gofst, thanks for the replies. You're all starting to make me question 4.10's and to be honest if I should even pull the 3.31's out. Honestly, halfway through 1st send the rearend sideways with 3.31's so maybe it's not the smartest move. I think I got it in my head that without 3.73's or more gear, I don't have the stock 12 second car that I bought, lol.

Now just not sure if the jump up to 3.73's is worth the 800 bucks!
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

this will help with your gear choice.
Attached Files
File Type: xls 5.0 GT gears MPH RPM.xls (51.0 KB, 167 views)
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
KATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cutler Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,593
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Look at the fastest bone stock 5.0's. 3.73 for the manual and the auto still had its 3.15's. Auto went 12.37 and manual.went 12.22 with 3.73.

4.10 cause you to shift before even getting to 40 out 1st.
That's weird that the 5.0 gears come like that. My 4.6 Auto came with 3.31 stock then I changed it.
__________________
07 GT. SCT: CUSTOM TUNE by "MUSTANG SPECIALTIES". LMR: GEN2 2010 STYLE HEADLIGHTS, RAXIOM: 2010 SMOKED COYOTE TAIL LIGHTS, WHEELS: STAGGERED WHL 22X8.5F-22X10R.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

7000 38.87
7000 58.55
7000 84.19
7000 107.79
7000 142.28
7000 218.89

This is the shifts with 4.10's. And lets face it his car does not have the power to get to 218mph. Hell none of our cars do

7000 40.87
7000 61.55
7000 88.50
7000 113.31
7000 149.57
7000 230.11
this is 3.90's.

7000 42.73
7000 64.36
7000 92.54
7000 118.48
7000 156.39
7000 240.60
this is 3.73's




And agian you see how it drops top end evry gear you go up.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

So I think 4.10's would be a regret for me. Now it's just whether or not not 3.73's are worth the investment or do I just wait until I can afford FI

Thanks for all of the insight!
ericd306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd306 View Post
So I think 4.10's would be a regret for me. Now it's just whether or not not 3.73's are worth the investment or do I just wait until I can afford FI

Thanks for all of the insight!
If going FI keep the gears you have. FI change the way you will feel about your car anyway. I have stock 3.15 gears in my car. I have been on t he fence of going to 3.55's. It has benifets and downsides.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
Registered User
Newbie
 
Danfullarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 12
Dammit,i thought I was happy with 4.10 since that's the gears the car came with new,but after reading this I'm
Starting to think I should change,but then again I'm use to 4.10 now so it might not be that bad lol
Danfullarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfullarton View Post
Dammit,i thought I was happy with 4.10 since that's the gears the car came with new,but after reading this I'm
Starting to think I should change,but then again I'm use to 4.10 now so it might not be that bad lol
You had them install 4.10's when you bought it?
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfullarton
Dammit,i thought I was happy with 4.10 since that's the gears the car came with new,but after reading this I'm
Starting to think I should change,but then again I'm use to 4.10 now so it might not be that bad lol
Ford doesn't sell Mustangs with 4.10s in them from the factory. You can't even order them that way. 3.73 is as high as they come off the line.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Ford doesn't sell Mustangs with 4.10s in them from the factory. You can't even order them that way. 3.73 is as high as they come off the line.
Just what I was thinking.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Regardless, if you have them and like them, keep them. I jut. Any imagine having to shift to 3rd to hit 60mph.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
KATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cutler Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,593
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
7000 38.87
7000 58.55
7000 84.19
7000 107.79
7000 142.28
7000 218.89

This is the shifts with 4.10's. And lets face it his car does not have the power to get to 218mph. Hell none of our cars do

7000 40.87
7000 61.55
7000 88.50
7000 113.31
7000 149.57
7000 230.11
this is 3.90's.

7000 42.73
7000 64.36
7000 92.54
7000 118.48
7000 156.39
7000 240.60
this is 3.73's




And agian you see how it drops top end evry gear you go up.
Thanks for that Info "wnt2gofst", good stuff to have in notes. A lot of the arguments they are having here is "useless", Not everyone is doing Drags or etc. For my Dailey Driver and Ocassional HWY Hot Wheels similation, the 4.10s are perfect, I never geta opertunity to take it to top end anyway, which is why I do not know what my fastest speed is.
__________________
07 GT. SCT: CUSTOM TUNE by "MUSTANG SPECIALTIES". LMR: GEN2 2010 STYLE HEADLIGHTS, RAXIOM: 2010 SMOKED COYOTE TAIL LIGHTS, WHEELS: STAGGERED WHL 22X8.5F-22X10R.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #31
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
Thanks for that Info "wnt2gofst", good stuff to have in notes. A lot of the arguments they are having here is "useless", Not everyone is doing Drags or etc. For my Dailey Driver and Ocassional HWY Hot Wheels similation, the 4.10s are perfect, I never geta opertunity to take it to top end anyway, which is why I do not know what my fastest speed is.
the one chart i attached in post 20 you can save. You can change redline and see how it effect shift points. It has auto and manual in it. and every gear set in it. from 2.73's to 6.14's. With it you can see what is best for the street as well. Being 5th gear is the 1:1 and is best when on t he street going fun runs you can see where it will end. for instance here is 4.10's with redline of 7800. Like a full bolt on manual should be set at. remember these are for 2011+ only though. 2010 prior arte not the same. And do not react the same to the same gears. difference in tranny and tranny gearing.

7800 43.32
7800 65.24
7800 93.81
7800 120.10
7800 158.54
7800 243.90
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
Registered User
Newbie
 
Danfullarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 12
It's weird I know,I wish I kept my window sticker,but I drove it off the lot with 4.10, maybe the dealership installed it as a different feature to up the price,it's a GT/CS
Danfullarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #33
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: 4.10 6M Owner Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfullarton View Post
It's weird I know,I wish I kept my window sticker,but I drove it off the lot with 4.10, maybe the dealership installed it as a different feature to up the price,it's a GT/CS
they had to. If indeed it has 4.10's then it should be labeled t hat way on the rear diff. A little sticker.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfullarton
It's weird I know,I wish I kept my window sticker,but I drove it off the lot with 4.10, maybe the dealership installed it as a different feature to up the price,it's a GT/CS
I was under the impression that this would be illegal pre-title. They can't even install axle backs until the car is titled, that's why rs1/2 come with the exhaust boxed in the trunk.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #35
Registered User
Newbie
 
Danfullarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 12
Canada probably has different laws about that sort of thing
Danfullarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.