Weight reduction ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Weight reduction ideas

Wondering if anyone has stats on weights on the hood, deck lid, spoiler, diffuser, bumper? Looking to go carbon fiber to reduce weight and wonder if the weight reduction would impact much on the power-to-weight ratio? And is it noticeable or even worth it?
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Re: Weight reduction ideas

I like to think every pound helps, it won't make much of a difference with each individual part, but if you do lots of carbon fiber like you said then you should see a difference near the end.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Those parts are all very light to start with. Of you're serious about weight reduction look into the following items.

Lightweight brakes
Tubular k member and a arms
Lightweight wheels
Carbon fiber driveshaft
Tubular control arms
Lighter axle backs or muffler deletes
Rear seat delete
Spare tire delete
Lightweight battery and relocate to trunk
Replace front seats with lightweight racing seats

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in with something I missed.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Those parts are all very light to start with. Of you're serious about weight reduction look into the following items.

Lightweight brakes
Tubular k member and a arms
Lightweight wheels
Carbon fiber driveshaft
Tubular control arms
Lighter axle backs or muffler deletes
Rear seat delete
Spare tire delete
Lightweight battery and relocate to trunk
Replace front seats with lightweight racing seats

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in with something I missed.
Thanks for the Christmas list. Now the wife knows something to get me. I've been looking at driveshafts but anyone have a suggestion?
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Re: Weight reduction ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
Thanks for the Christmas list. Now the wife knows something to get me. I've been looking at driveshafts but anyone have a suggestion?
I think there is only one CF driveshaft out there and it's like $1,200. There are a few aluminum ones out there too closer to the $700-800 mark. I know DSS and Shaftmasters were making them.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
I have an aluminum drive shaft from American muscle. Saves 22lbs of weight versus the stock.
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Weight reduction ideas

YOu can also do bumper supports. JPC makes some to swap out.

Besides ones already mentioned,

Hood is light but like the 3" cowl hood I got saved about 7lbs.

Deleting spoiler is a easy 6-8lbs to get rid of.

Carbonfiber can weigh less but it also depends on how they do supports and stuff. A lot times hoods/trunks end up weighing more.

You can go in and delete a lot of sound deading stuff from under carpet and behind dash.

Go in and cut unnecassary stuff out of doors.

This is a lot of last stuff to do though.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
YOu can also do bumper supports. JPC makes some to swap out.

Besides ones already mentioned,

Hood is light but like the 3" cowl hood I got saved about 7lbs.

Deleting spoiler is a easy 6-8lbs to get rid of.

Carbonfiber can weigh less but it also depends on how they do supports and stuff. A lot times hoods/trunks end up weighing more.

You can go in and delete a lot of sound deading stuff from under carpet and behind dash.

Go in and cut unnecassary stuff out of doors.

This is a lot of last stuff to do though.
Good comments. Yeah, the hood I was looking at is 30lbs but has built-in functional ram air and engine vents so probably more functional and visual change there rather than weight saved. Just wondered if CF was worth it but sounds like I can save weight elsewhere as well. Good ideas guys. Thanks! But end result, I'll have fun modding it to whatever my crazy mind comes up with. My only problem now is I have to give my brother-in-law a run for his money in his '13 GT500. He'll get his VIN next week and hopefully delivery soon. We want to hit a track to see what our beasts can do stock.
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Weight reduction ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
Good comments. Yeah, the hood I was looking at is 30lbs but has built-in functional ram air and engine vents so probably more functional and visual change there rather than weight saved. Just wondered if CF was worth it but sounds like I can save weight elsewhere as well. Good ideas guys. Thanks! But end result, I'll have fun modding it to whatever my crazy mind comes up with. My only problem now is I have to give my brother-in-law a run for his money in his '13 GT500. He'll get his VIN next week and hopefully delivery soon. We want to hit a track to see what our beasts can do stock.
Where are you located? And to be able to stay up/beat him your going to need that Roush with a smaller pulley.Best thing is he is going to have t learn to drive it while you are used to your car.

If he had a 12 or prior full bolt ons and some weight reduction would get it done.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Where are you located? And to be able to stay up/beat him your going to need that Roush with a smaller pulley.Best thing is he is going to have t learn to drive it while you are used to your car.

If he had a 12 or prior full bolt ons and some weight reduction would get it done.
I'm in KCMO. Yeah, we were going to go out stock first and get some times. Then come back after mods. He had the previous generation Mustang and runs a 1100 cc race bike. He's used to speed. When we run I'll post the results for both and then after mods we'll run again. I know I'm going to lose to that much HP but I'm pretty quick on the shifter so hope to make it interesting for a few moments until he gets his tires under him. Then I'm toast.
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Van Buren
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7
I'm thinking about doing a weight reduction as well. I would love to shed a few pounds off of her. I just want to make sure that I still have a good weight to power ratio. She's under going body work right now. I've got the paint stripped off. I media blasted her. Good luck to you.
__________________
KSn95
KSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,019
Get an aluminum 1pc Driveshaft to start with
__________________
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
11socal50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ventura
Region: California
Posts: 102
Get a new grille that deletes the fogs

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
11socal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:06 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.