JLT Oil Separator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
JLT Oil Separator

So glad I purchased mine. I don't remember the exact mileage I had on my car when I put it on, but I know it has been less than 1000 miles.

I checked it today and the oil separator had ONE OUNCE of oil in it!!!!! That's more than many people have reported between oil changes at 5,000 miles intervals. Again, this was less than 1000 miles after install.

I made my decision to buy one after I put my offroad x-pipe on and I continuously smelled burnt oil when I would get on it and stop again. I got really scared when it started misfiring one day... very bad misfire, felt like I was running on 5 cylinders. I knew then without a doubt that I needed one of these.

This has to be the single most beneficial part I bought for my car!! Thanks JLT!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I really need to get one of these! Keep putting it off.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Re: JLT Oil Separator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I really need to get one of these! Keep putting it off.
It really should be your next mod. From my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) all the oil that goes into your motor robs power, efficiency, and causes detonation (yikes!!!!)

anyone with a coyote 5.0 really should invest in one. most of these are right around the $100 range (+-$20).

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
So glad I purchased mine. I don't remember the exact mileage I had on my car when I put it on, but I know it has been less than 1000 miles.

I checked it today and the oil separator had ONE OUNCE of oil in it!!!!! That's more than many people have reported between oil changes at 5,000 miles intervals. Again, this was less than 1000 miles after install.

I made my decision to buy one after I put my offroad x-pipe on and I continuously smelled burnt oil when I would get on it and stop again. I got really scared when it started misfiring one day... very bad misfire, felt like I was running on 5 cylinders. I knew then without a doubt that I needed one of these.

This has to be the single most beneficial part I bought for my car!! Thanks JLT!
Well it is arguable weather a catch can is good...but I will tell you this, you smelling oil after your x pipe has nothing to do with a catch can...and it wasn't oil you were smelling it was gas and because you removed your cats.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
Well it is arguable weather a catch can is good...but I will tell you this, you smelling oil after your x pipe has nothing to do with a catch can...and it wasn't oil you were smelling it was gas and because you removed your cats.
I know the difference between unburnt gas and burnt oil smells. The reason I didn't smell the oil before the offroad pipe was because the cats were burning up the oil so therefore I could not smell oil burning, nor could I smell unburnt gas.

The I went to the offroad pipe and could smell unburnt gas AND burnt oil. Since I have added the oil separator, I do still smell a little burnt oil and still smell all the same amount of unburnt gas. I presume that the small amount of burnt oil I smell now is from the driver's side PCV system, I only put the catch can on the passenger side as I have heard and read many a time before that the passenger side is the side that is notorious for this. I agree with this as most of the burnt oil smell has subsided, but is not gone.

Therefore my statement stands. This catch can has done wonders to keep oil out of my motor... thank you JLT!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It really should be your next mod. From my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) all the oil that goes into your motor robs power, efficiency, and causes detonation (yikes!!!!)

anyone with a coyote 5.0 really should invest in one. most of these are right around the $100 range (+-$20).
Yup, blowby is bad. I suspect the boss im makes it worse with the high RPMs the engine sees. Maybe next month, I just dropped a chunk on wheels and tires.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:

I know the difference between unburnt gas and burnt oil smells. The reason I didn't smell the oil before the offroad pipe was because the cats were burning up the oil so therefore I could not smell oil burning, nor could I smell unburnt gas.

The I went to the offroad pipe and could smell unburnt gas AND burnt oil. Since I have added the oil separator, I do still smell a little burnt oil and still smell all the same amount of unburnt gas. I presume that the small amount of burnt oil I smell now is from the driver's side PCV system, I only put the catch can on the passenger side as I have heard and read many a time before that the passenger side is the side that is notorious for this. I agree with this as most of the burnt oil smell has subsided, but is not gone.

Therefore my statement stands. This catch can has done wonders to keep oil out of my motor... thank you JLT!!!
If you have oil leaking into your exhaust pipes and your smelling burnt oil then you better make an app with ford cause that's a problem. Never have I smelt burnt oil! no catch can is going to solve or not solve this.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
If you have oil leaking into your exhaust pipes and your smelling burnt oil then you better make an app with ford cause that's a problem. Never have I smelt burnt oil! no catch can is going to solve or not solve this.
It's not oil leaking into the exhaust... that is literally impossible to leak directly into the exhaust. What happens with this PCV system is called blowby. Blowby is when the oil travels from the valve covers through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system into the air intake manifold. The oil is then mixed into the air and fuel that moves into the cylinders. When this air/fuel/oil mixture is burned inside the cylinder and comes out into the exhaust, the excess fuel is normally eradicated by the catalytic converters. However because there are no "cats", this excess is still there and just comes out of the tailpipes, and now we can smell unburnt fuel and burnt oil.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:

It's not oil leaking into the exhaust... that is literally impossible to leak directly into the exhaust. What happens with this PCV system is called blowby. Blowby is when the oil travels from the valve covers through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system into the air intake manifold. The oil is then mixed into the air and fuel that moves into the cylinders. When this air/fuel/oil mixture is burned inside the cylinder and comes out into the exhaust, the excess fuel is normally eradicated by the catalytic converters. However because there are no "cats", this excess is still there and just comes out of the tailpipes, and now we can smell unburnt fuel and burnt oil.
Lol ok ok I won't argue! That is solid marketing at its best.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

not marketing, just knowledge. I wish JLT was paying me lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Gums up your tb as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Quote:

Actually bad rings on the pistons will cause oil to leak into the exhaust. Which then you will see some smoke out the exhaust.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Actually bad rings on the pistons will cause oil to leak into the exhaust. Which then you will see some smoke out the exhaust.
Hmm, I was under the impression that this smoke was caused by oil being burned in the cylinders, just far in excess of the blowby that these catch cans stop, and then pushed out of the exhaust valves into the exhaust manifolds (headers) which would still not leak directly into the exhaust, but rather is pushed out of the cylinders by the second upstroke (non power stroke)...

but that is a wholly different issue than what I was referring to. I was never talking about white smoke out of my exhaust, just the smell of burnt oil

Either way this thread was to tell the importance of these catch cans and the wonders it worked for me!!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

Hmm, I was under the impression that this smoke was caused by oil being burned in the cylinders, just far in excess of the blowby that these catch cans stop, and then pushed out of the exhaust valves into the exhaust manifolds (headers) which would still not leak directly into the exhaust, but rather is pushed out of the cylinders by the second upstroke (non power stroke)...

but that is a wholly different issue than what I was referring to. I was never talking about white smoke out of my exhaust, just the smell of burnt oil

Either way this thread was to tell the importance of these catch cans and the wonders it worked for me!!!!
Yes. The bad rings will cause it to.smoke. it can even let some oil threw that isn't burned. Seen it on a buddies 4.6.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
not marketing, just knowledge. I wish JLT was paying me lol
i mean good marketing as in you bought what they were telling you. do you think ford engineers overlooked that fact that there would be blowby? if the car needed it, it would be on there. but hey if it helps you sleep or gives you piece of mind its a good investment!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

i mean good marketing as in you bought what they were telling you. do you think ford engineers overlooked that fact that there would be blowby? if the car needed it, it would be on there. but hey if it helps you sleep or gives you piece of mind its a good investment!
I don't buy your ford engineers comment for one second... If they were so good at catching all of their mistakes we would not have such a bad manual transmission.

The blowby issue has been brought up by far more than just these catch can makers

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

In fact by that logic there should also be no need for warranties or replacement parts.

I don't think they overlooked the blowby issue, I just think they underestimated the issue and thought that the PCV system would have been sufficient, which has been proven time and time again to not be true... Like I said, ONE OUNCE of oil was in my catch can in under 1000 miles

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

So, who makes the best oil separator and do you have any picks of where it's mounted?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
So, who makes the best oil separator and do you have any picks of where it's mounted?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1130017275.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	54306

Name:	image-2504945902.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	54303

Name:	image-4257342378.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	54304

Name:	image-3738964581.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	54305

Here are a few... It's sits slightly off balance due to this being made for the stock IM but it still works all the same.

The last pic is a shot inside of the catch can. I emptied and wiped it out last night and after driving ~20 miles you can already see some puddled in the bottom again... Ford engineers my @$$

This is why I praise my catch can so much.

As for the best I cannot say, but I know that this one has saved me a lot of burnt oil and blowby, subsequently has prevented unnecessary wear and damage on my motor!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't mind sharing, what brand and weight of oil are you running?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Motorcraft 5w20 full syn. I did the 6 yr 100k miles maintenance plan... Even with all of my mods (I take it in every 5k so they've seen them all) they still honor warranty and maintenance plan!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Motorcraft 5w20 full syn. I did the 6 yr 100k miles maintenance plan... Even with all of my mods (I take it in every 5k so they've seen them all) they still honor warranty and maintenance plan!!
Did you see much buildup on your TB before you installed the catch can? I'm running AMSOil 5w30, which has been reported to be much less prone to blowby than the lighter and non-synthetic oils so I'm wondering how much of a benefit I would see at this point. I'm not smelling much/any burnt oil, just raw fuel/
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Not much build up before catch can on TB. But keep in mind that the passenger PCV goes directly into the manifold whereas the driver side goes into the intake tube. Passenger side is the one to worry about, drivers side has much less problems with blowby

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

But yours may not be nearly as bad as mine, like I said I had a profuse burnt oil smell everytime I would get on it then slow down.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Bad rings can also cause more blowby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I don't buy your ford engineers comment for one second... If they were so good at catching all of their mistakes we would not have such a bad manual transmission.

The blowby issue has been brought up by far more than just these catch can makers

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

In fact by that logic there should also be no need for warranties or replacement parts.

I don't think they overlooked the blowby issue, I just think they underestimated the issue and thought that the PCV system would have been sufficient, which has been proven time and time again to not be true... Like I said, ONE OUNCE of oil was in my catch can in under 1000 miles
When tolerances are derived, cats are factored in and everything is assumed to remain stock throughout the life of the engine. You took your cats out, and now you can smell more things. That's sort of common sense. A little blowby isn't the worst thing in the world...it will help lubricate and seal intake valves/valve guides a little bit as well. I don't know how you drive your car, but 1 oz in 1000 miles wouldn't cause me to lose sleep...especially in a N/A car. If I were running FI, I'd pay more attention to it, as oil is a non-compressible substance and anytime you decrease chamber volume (whether statically or dynamically eg blowby)...well, you just need to stay on top of things like that.
hpisloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpisloud

Bad rings can also cause more blowby.

When tolerances are derived, cats are factored in and everything is assumed to remain stock throughout the life of the engine. You took your cats out, and now you can smell more things. That's sort of common sense. A little blowby isn't the worst thing in the world...it will help lubricate and seal intake valves/valve guides a little bit as well. I don't know how you drive your car, but 1 oz in 1000 miles wouldn't cause me to lose sleep...especially in a N/A car. If I were running FI, I'd pay more attention to it, as oil is a non-compressible substance and anytime you decrease chamber volume (whether statically or dynamically eg blowby)...well, you just need to stay on top of things like that.
Ok, well like I said in my previous posts, it was a profuse amount, there is a difference in a little and a lot. Like I said, at one point I had so much blowby that it felt like I was running on 5 cylinders and since adding the catch can I do not smell nearly as much oil and have not ha misfiring issues.... Why do I have to keep repeating myself? Please read ALL of my posts before commenting.

As we all know, oil in the motor will cause detonation as well as other engine damage. Maybe your car isn't as bad as mine... But cars are like finger prints, no two are exactly the same.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Is this below the JLT oil separator you are talking about...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-bl...or-1112gt.html
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The oil separator is pretty slick. Sometimes I forget to empty it lol. Definitely good to know that the oil is going back into the engine instead of the air intake!
Untamed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
5.0 magazine has an article in the August edition that shows the specific reason you use an oil separator. While it is on a gt500 and could be argued that it is only good for supercharged applications however after seeing the puddle of oil chilling in the supercharger elbow I would never go without one. Ford is good on their engine designs but maybe they didn't test it with how we mod our cars hmmmmm ford not testing aftermarket parts on their engines, makes sense to me. Anyway there has not been a bad review on an oil separator yet or being referenced as a market invented item that does nothing so as far as I am concerned it is a good item to use. Best way to check to see if oil is going back from the PVC to the intake is disconnect the hose from the valve cover and see if u have oil and residue in there. Because once again if you understand engines oil knocks down the octane value of the fuel in the a/f mixture which will cause premature detonation.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Is this below the JLT oil separator you are talking about...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-bl...or-1112gt.html
Yessir!!! I love it

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
5.0 magazine has an article in the August edition that shows the specific reason you use an oil separator. While it is on a gt500 and could be argued that it is only good for supercharged applications however after seeing the puddle of oil chilling in the supercharger elbow I would never go without one. Ford is good on their engine designs but maybe they didn't test it with how we mod our cars hmmmmm ford not testing aftermarket parts on their engines, makes sense to me. Anyway there has not been a bad review on an oil separator yet or being referenced as a market invented item that does nothing so as far as I am concerned it is a good item to use. Best way to check to see if oil is going back from the PVC to the intake is disconnect the hose from the valve cover and see if u have oil and residue in there. Because once again if you understand engines oil knocks down the octane value of the fuel in the a/f mixture which will cause premature detonation.
^this

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Blow by lowers the octane of your fuel man, robbing you of powah. Catch cans exist for a reason, and they aren't only used on coyotes, do some research, they're very beneficial, unfortunately a simple design costs $120

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed5.0
The oil separator is pretty slick. Sometimes I forget to empty it lol. Definitely good to know that the oil is going back into the engine instead of the air intake!
Please tell me you aren't putting the blow by oil back into your engine?! Omg
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Is a breather kit necesary? I'm debating between moroso and jlt. I don't like jlt because their intakes suck
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Is a breather kit necesary? I'm debating between moroso and jlt. I don't like jlt because their intakes suck
Buy what looks better, or whichever is cheaper to you, both are equally effective
Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #32
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I wouldn't really say one is better than the other... Tbh I went JLT because it was the one that everyone else has and is proven to work

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #33

Region: New York

Is a breather kit necesary? And if I read correctly above the passenger side is more important?
Lilblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilblue
Is a breather kit necesary? And if I read correctly above the passenger side is more important?
Necessary for vehicle operation? No. It's simply used to collect oil vapors that can drop into the engine and basically hinder your vehicles performance slightly. It won't harm your engine. The passenger side does collect quite a bit more so yes it's the one you'd like to buy.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #35
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414

Necessary for vehicle operation? No. It's simply used to collect oil vapors that can drop into the engine and basically hinder your vehicles performance slightly. It won't harm your engine. The passenger side does collect quite a bit more so yes it's the one you'd like to buy.
It's CAN harm the engine, blowby leads to detonation which leads to engine failure

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT