Mt-82 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Mt-82

Well I picked up a friend this afternoon. He had not rode in my Stang yet so we went for a ride. I nailed it went to shift to 2nd,fail. Clutched it shifted to 2nd. Nailed it went to shift to 3rd,fail. The absolute worst my car has ever shifted. It just flat out did not want to go into gear. Almost like I had to force it. The third time it shifted to 2nd ok but still screwed 3rd. Even when it went to 2nd it felt forced. The mgw wouldn't be a bad idea except for the fact if the trans goes one day they'll most likely wanna void the warranty on the transmission. Good job Ford on putting a cheap POS transmission in a $30,000+ car.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
What year 5.0?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema
What year 5.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Dam that sucks bro. I'm sorry. How many miles? U have problems shifting normally or only when u punch it?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema
Dam that sucks bro. I'm sorry. How many miles? U have problems shifting normally or only when u punch it?
Only when it's floored and shifting at 6800. Has about 11,000mi on it. It's only done it today. It's nuts that with all the complaints that Ford just continues to ignore everyone. Even Dodge is smart enough to put a tremec in the Chalkenger. Maybe if I'm lucky this will be a one day deal. I'll be trying it again in the morning.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This is how my 5th gear will always be, impossible to engage, have to granny shift slow as hell idk what I'd do if it was 2nd and 3rd :/
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I guess I am the only one who got a good tranny with their 5.0. I have never had an issue. That being said I bought a Barton shifter bracket to make 2-3 shifts smoother. It would go into to 3rd but with the bracket it is much better.
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If I get too pissed at mine I know exactly what I'll do. I'll give Ford the bird and trade it off on a Challenger. I'm gonna try going through the gears again tomorrow. Like I said. Today was the 1st time it's ever acted like this. All I know is that it's freaking aggravating. The MT82 should've been recalled a long time ago.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta vt
I guess I am the only one who got a good tranny with their 5.0. I have never had an issue. That being said I bought a Barton shifter bracket to make 2-3 shifts smoother. It would go into to 3rd but with the bracket it is much better.
Mine works fine too lol. Everyone says how ****ty shifting is but i put a short shifter n its easiest wen im punchin it
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
That is what mine started doing when the 3rd and 5th gear synchro's went out.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
That is what mine started doing when the 3rd and 5th gear synchro's went out.
This is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Especially with the number of cases out there. Just a complete lack of concern on Fords behalf.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Mt-82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckChorris View Post
This is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Especially with the number of cases out there. Just a complete lack of concern on Fords behalf.
Welcome to the club ... sorry man.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Well I am sure some problems are to come with mine but so far it has been great.Just notchy in cold but not real bad . Especially if I Let it warm up. Then it is not even notchy. N.C. winter was mild this year so we will see. I still use the stock fluid. I push it but no drag racing at strip yet or Anything strenous so we will see. More HP mods coming this w/e though.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Well I am sure some problems are to come with mine but so far it has been great.Just notchy in cold but not real bad . Especially if I Let it warm up. Then it is not even notchy. N.C. winter was mild this year so we will see. I still use the stock fluid. I push it but no drag racing at strip yet or Anything strenous so we will see. More HP mods coming this w/e though.
So by mild, it never got under 50?

I'm running MTG fluid and a BMR K member. Both made a noticeable improvement, but I still have issues with a slight nibble into 2nd and an occasional hard time getting into 1st. It's tolerable at this point, and previously I was grinding 2-5 when cold. The MTG makes it run awesome when it's hot outside and after the trans warms up in cooler weather. The K-member helped settle down the grinding when cold. I personally think its a combination of drivetrain slop and poor QC at the Getrag plant.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Precisely why I chose to get a 2010 in a manual May not have the 5.0 but I will take a 4.6 if it means I won't have to possibly end up dealing with this BS. Plus the fact that I saved a bunch of money too. I priced it out 10 premium vs the 13 premium saved about 15k to 18k , just made more sense to me. But sorry your dealing with this issue I'm sure it's no fun at all
SSTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTHIS
Precisely why I chose to get a 2010 in a manual May not have the 5.0 but I will take a 4.6 if it means I won't have to possibly end up dealing with this BS. Plus the fact that I saved a bunch of money too. I priced it out 10 premium vs the 13 premium saved about 15k to 18k , just made more sense to me. But sorry your dealing with this issue I'm sure it's no fun at all
Yeah you'll need more than a typical supercharger to keep up with a 5.0 too lol, if power wasn't a factor, why not just get a v6? I've seen a new v6 vs the 4.6 and it wasn't exactly a big difference
Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have come to the conclusion, that the trans is not at fault here. The problem is with the slave cylinder. I feel the slaves have internal leakage and when cold or used aggressively, the clutch is not fully disengaging. This may as well be the same as shifting without pressing on the clutch pedal. It's possible, but if the revs are not matched the gear will got in notchy or not at all and grind.
Struego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struego
I have come to the conclusion, that the trans is not at fault here. The problem is with the slave cylinder. I feel the slaves have internal leakage and when cold or used aggressively, the clutch is not fully disengaging. This may as well be the same as shifting without pressing on the clutch pedal. It's possible, but if the revs are not matched the gear will got in notchy or not at all and grind.
This! Ford replaced my slave cylinder once, but the problem didn't seem to be fixed, replaced at 3k miles, now I have 8k no difference, just have to learn your way around it. I can make it clunk and grind, but if used properly
You can avoid that. Only bummer is power shifting, because that's hard for a service employee to replicate & diagnose
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414

Yeah you'll need more than a typical supercharger to keep up with a 5.0 too lol, if power wasn't a factor, why not just get a v6? I've seen a new v6 vs the 4.6 and it wasn't exactly a big difference
For some of us it's about style more so than power. I don't race. I enjoy the sound of the V8 and the torque and the style of the 2010+. I test drive a 2012 V6 and it was nice, but I test drove my 2010 GT and it was better. Everyone makes their choices for various reasons but I hope Ford solves the problem for everyone.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414

Because The one I liked had a V8 and I could give damn about keeping up with a 5.0. Besides well... I'll just keep my mouth shut not my thread anyways.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Because The one I liked had a V8 and I could give damn about keeping up with a 5.0. Besides well... I'll just keep my mouth shut not my thread anyways.
Nice Stang bro. I could not find a 2010 GB GT to save my life within 150 miles of where I live.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight

Nice Stang bro. I could not find a 2010 GB GT to save my life within 150 miles of where I live.
Thanks man I almost pulled the trigger on a 2012 silver premium like yours but I didn't like the tan interior would get to dirty for me in my line of work
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No offense intended, I had actually forgot
That the v6 comes with an mt82 as well lol, so tell us how amazing your shifting is? Is your 5th gear an overdrive kinda how our 6th gear is?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Prolly doesn't help that the mt82 is built in china.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Prolly doesn't help that the mt82 is built in china.
Being made in china has nothing to do with it! Everything is made in china nowadays! 90% of the stuff you own and that's in your house is made in china...is that all junk to?

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Quote:
My mt82 is the smoothest manual trans I have owned in a mustang and I have owned 5. My 07 gt was more notchy then my 11. Even when it gets to be -35 Celsius it's still the best shifting mustang out of the 5.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You kidding me? Lol. Ever use a tool set from china vs a tool set from USA? Most china made products are junk! The getrag trans is designed in Germany, and built in china. Something wrong there. The getrag trans is a noisy and clunky trans. Getrag transmissions can be found in some nissans and toyotas which hardly have any issues. It's been a solid trans, but not much in the 2011 mustangs.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
You kidding me? Lol. Ever use a tool set from china vs a tool set from USA? Most china made products are junk! The getrag trans is designed in Germany, and built in china. Something wrong there. The getrag trans is a noisy and clunky trans. Getrag transmissions can be found in some nissans and toyotas which hardly have any issues. It's been a solid trans, but not much in the 2011 mustangs.
Am I kidding no! And I have just as many lasting tools from other country's as I do from USA. And like I said 90% of the stuff you own and that's in your house is made in china....is that all junk? And in my experience I have had more issues with my t5 that is in my fox and the tranny in my 07 gt then I do in my mt82. Of course there is some exemption and some bad ones on the Internet but that is with any machine.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it's all junk. It looks pretty and nice till you start using the stuff. China tools don't last. They're good for minor things and rare use. Use them in an everyday manor, and you will see they just don't last. I had a tv made in china. Basically a Japan knock off. Looked nice, but stopped working after a year. The other tv that's made in Japan, has been problem free and going strong for 3 years now. When it comes to house hold stuff, the china stuff may be ok. Inexpensive and nice looking...example (ikea) but with cars and metals, china stuff is junk.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Agree. China stuff is junk. There's a reason I have a SnapOn tool box and SnapOn and Matco tools. China stuff is cheap because most is made by slave labor or people who aren't paid much at all. That's why it cost significantly less. As for the Getrag. It's a POS transmission. Some people may never have an issue but as a whole it's junk. Or else there wouldn't be tons of threads on every forum with people having problems. And if you need to swap fluid or change shifters to make it half decent then Ford has failed.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #30
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Out of curiousity, how many of us own iPhones and iPads?

Jw wondering because they are also made in china

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

It's only assembled in China. Which I still don't like.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

As well as many consumer electronics. This is a bad comparison though since assembling fully complete electronics is a lot different than assembling mechanical devices. There are no moving parts or tolerances.

Also, apple has a very good warranty problem and will give you a new device for just about any problem. They care about their customers and their products, I don't think anyone would actually say that about Ford right now.

Btw, I have both and part of my job responsibilities are to deploy, maintain and support about 20 iPhones and 60 iPads for my client, so I have a bit of experience in the subject matter. I've also broken every Chinese tool that I've ever used, including the spring compressor from harbor freight that let go on us while on a compressed spring.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure a lot of us have iPhones. As I said before china stuff is nice and looks pretty. I'm on my sixth iPhone. They are not phones that last. If we look on eBay, we will find that there are tons of listings for iPhone parts and repair kits. I'd say it's by far the the most repaired phone. The warranty is nice. Apple should back up there product as should ford motor co.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I'm sure a lot of us have iPhones. As I said before china stuff is nice and looks pretty. I'm on my sixth iPhone. They are not phones that last. If we look on eBay, we will find that there are tons of listings for iPhone parts and repair kits. I'd say it's by far the the most repaired phone. The warranty is nice. Apple should back up there product as should ford motor co.
That might also be because there are so many iPhones out there. The more you sell the high the pct of probs you have.

Still, I can't think of any products I have from China could be classified as a good product. Nothing I've seen from that country is long lasting. Companies have China build their products because it's cheap. That's just the facts of manufacturing. Cost first quality second. In some cases they are able to bring the quality up enough to get by, but they are still just mediocre. Until manufacturing companies change their ways, it will always be about the buck first.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
That might also be because there are so many iPhones out there. The more you sell the high the pct of probs you have.

Still, I can't think of any products I have from China could be classified as a good product. Nothing I've seen from that country is long lasting. Companies have China build their products because it's cheap. That's just the facts of manufacturing. Cost first quality second. In some cases they are able to bring the quality up enough to get by, but they are still just mediocre. Until manufacturing companies change their ways, it will always be about the buck first.
I think quality is farther down the list than second. You are exactly right though that companies make products in China because its cheap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT