Mustang Evolution Forum banner

thinking about a 2013 mustang gt

8K views 110 replies 21 participants last post by  deadsp0t 
#1 ·
Hello to all.. i am debating on getting a new mustang gt with track pack.. also on my list is a challenger... i like the idea of it seats 5.. but dont like the lack of horsepower... i have always been a dodge guy but really like the looks of the new stang... why does life has to be so hard... talk me in to a mustang..

#5 ·
So if you get the Challenger your getting a v6? The srt8 is a bad car in stock form. And they have mods for it. But no tuning. The GT/5.0 is also a bad car. With mods also. And more out there as you can go boosted. Weighs less, cost less.

#7 ·
NuckChorris said:
I've always been a Mopar guy as well. I got the 5.0 because I didn't wanna spend 50grand on the 392. That being said. If you can afford the srt8. I'd go for it. Let the flaming begin
No flame here. They are nice cars. They have more room inside and have a nicer interior. They might not have all the mods the 5.0 does. But its a nice car.

One thing though..you can afford a srt8 why not pick up a used 2010-2012 GT500

#9 ·
wnt2gofst said:
No flame here. They are nice cars. They have more room inside and have a nicer interior. They might not have all the mods the 5.0 does. But its a nice car.

One thing though..you can afford a srt8 why not pick up a used 2010-2012 GT500
I hear you on the gt500. It is faster for the same money. I'm just in love with the Challengers looks. I would be a tough choice none the less. The one thing I hate about the Mustang is the fact that my boys car seat rides against the front seats due to the back seat being so small. I think Dodge should put the 392 in the R/T and put a SC392 in the Srt8. That would shake up the muscle car market quite a bit.

#11 ·
I was not going to get a srt8... i was looking at the r/t. I dont want to spend 50 grand. I am not sure where that came. I am just having a hard time choosing. I have 2 girls and a third one on the way so i need a me car, something i can have fun with and work on. And if i to take the 2 girls somewhere i can without taking the family car. We have a honda pilot and vw cabrio which i dont drive, and my work van so we need another car.

#12 ·
beaky73 said:
I was not going to get a srt8... i was looking at the r/t. I dont want to spend 50 grand. I am not sure where that came. I am just having a hard time choosing. I have 2 girls and a third one on the way so i need a me car, something i can have fun with and work on. And if i to take the 2 girls somewhere i can without taking the family car. We have a honda pilot and vw cabrio which i dont drive, and my work van so we need another car.
Used GT500 or new 5.0..

#13 ·
beaky73 said:
How old are your girls? You can only get one car seat in the back of the mustang is why I'm asking. IDK about the Challenger.

#15 ·
beaky73 said:
I have a 7 year old who is on a booster and a 2 year old in a car seat.
The only way to use a car seat is in the middle with the cradle that the car seat slides in and out of. Because there is no middle seat belt. I don't know if the booster can fit beside it or not. With the car seat in mine it touches both front seats. It's no big deal to me though.

#17 · (Edited)
My husband bought a 2012 Challenger a few weeks before I took delivery of my 2013 Mustang GT, and I have to say... if I wasn't just in LOVE with Mustangs from way back, it would be a tough decision. The Challenger does lack a bit of the horsepower of the GT, but it's very quick off the line. That makes up for some of it. And it's more comfortable to ride in, just as fun to drive, and an awesome looking car. I love my Stang, but hubby's Challenger comes in a close second. Good luck with whatever you decided to do... to me it's a win/win.

<edit> After reading that you have kids.. definitely go with the Challenger. The Mustang is just too cramped for a family. That's why I waited till all my kids were grown and gone... and I kept the Camry to haul the grandkids around it lol. And if you're not all about racing your car, the challenger is just as much fun to drive.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

My husband bought a 2012 Challenger a few weeks before I took delivery of my 2013 Mustang GT, and I have to say... if I wasn't just in LOVE with Mustangs from way back, it would be a tough decision. The Challenger does lack a bit of the horsepower of the GT, but it's very quick off the line. That makes up for some of it. And it's more comfortable to ride in, just as fun to drive, and an awesome looking car. I love my Stang, but hubby's Challenger comes in a close second. Good luck with whatever you decided to do... to me it's a win/win.

#18 ·
lilredgt said:

<edit> After reading that you have kids.. definitely go with the Challenger. The Mustang is just too cramped for a family. That's why I waited till all my kids were grown and gone... and I kept the Camry to haul the grandkids around it lol. And if you're not all about racing your car, the challenger is just as much fun to drive.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

So you had a RT?

#19 ·
I get two boosters in my 13 5.0 fine. My girls are 7 and 3. Wouldn't drive too far, but fine for around town or short trips. As far as choosing, I may be biased since I've owned 4 mustangs. Dodge has done a great job with the retro-mod look of the Challenger, but if you are looking for balance and value, you can't beat the Mustang. The 392 Hemi's are running around 13.1 to 13.0s at the track. My 06 GT was running 12.9s with under 300 RWHP. I paid $30,000 for my new 2013 GT with Brembos and the auto. The only Challenger that will sniff me at a road course or the drag strip is the SRT 8. And that's with no mods on my car. I'll keep the $20,000 and have a faster car! If you want a family hauler that moves, consider the SRT 8 grand Cherokee. It out performed he Charger and Challenger SRT 8 on the road course and drag strip! AWD! It will set you back around $60,000.

#20 ·
I also have two booster seats in my mustang, I thought I was the only one lol. Well my kids are 4 and 3 and I've taken them from central Louisiana to Venice, La and from Venice to Alabama. It's nothing like my navigator but it does the job. It also helps if you have a headrest DVD player for the kids and a switch to threaten them with for when they start kicking the seats haha.

#22 ·
CPERR2013 said:
I get two boosters in my 13 5.0 fine. My girls are 7 and 3. Wouldn't drive too far, but fine for around town or short trips. As far as choosing, I may be biased since I've owned 4 mustangs. Dodge has done a great job with the retro-mod look of the Challenger, but if you are looking for balance and value, you can't beat the Mustang. The 392 Hemi's are running around 13.1 to 13.0s at the track. My 06 GT was running 12.9s with under 300 RWHP. I paid $30,000 for my new 2013 GT with Brembos and the auto. The only Challenger that will sniff me at a road course or the drag strip is the SRT 8. And that's with no mods on my car. I'll keep the $20,000 and have a faster car! If you want a family hauler that moves, consider the SRT 8 grand Cherokee. It out performed he Charger and Challenger SRT 8 on the road course and drag strip! AWD! It will set you back around $60,000.
So your saying your 06gt at under 300hp is faster than your 13gt? Lol you do realize the srt 8 challenger and the 392 challenger are the same car right? And the 392 challengers are running 12s at the track and depending on who Is driving they are faster than the gt's. And your saying the srt Cherokee is running 11s stock on the drag strip? I'm confused

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Of its your only car and your have 2 kids don't even consider buying a mustang or challenger. I have young kid and with all the trips, friends, sports gear....it's not happening. I have a 11 Stang but only because I already have a family dd and my fiancé has a family dd as well. If you already have a dd then get the Stang! I have 2 car seats in my Stang for short trips and it fits fine(little cramped behind the drivers seat) but it works.

#27 ·
we have a familt car. its a pilot... that will be used to carry everyone... i am looking for just me and maybe sometimes the girls... just to go to the store or grab takeout.. or go to jersey to see my freinds... and i hate driving my wifes cabrio...

#24 ·
NuckChorris said:
How do you drive it? If I put two in mine I'd be driving right up against the steering wheel or have a really uncomfortable passenger
Well my fiancé is 5"7 and she fits fine in the passenger and I am 5"11 and fit fine in the drivers seat when my 2 kids are in the back. We only all go for short trips though, we both have family daily drivers we use most of the time.

#25 ·
Ken Cheema said:
Drive a 6.4 hemi srt, 6 speed. Then drive a 11 v6. Hands down the v6 destroyed it in handling and power to weight ratio. If you want a boring cool looking retro ride go challenger.

If you want to be thrilled every time u drive, get a Stang. Get at 13
I've driven the 392 and I daily drive my 5.0 and that thing is neck and neck with me... Don't think any v6 can destroy it other than a gtr lol

#26 ·
The old car ran 12.9 with a 4:10 gear and drag radials. The new car ran 13.2 on street tires. I just rolled off the line. No foot brake as the car only had 250 miles on it. With drag radials alone and launching at 1500 should easily be in the 12s. The two "392" Challengers I have seen run, both stock as far as I can tell are running low 13s. Speed Channel did an SRT8 special with all 3 models. Kurt Bush was driving. The SRT8 "392" Grand Cherokee out performed the Challenger and Charger. Never said it would run in the 11s?

#28 ·
beaky73 said:
we have a familt car. its a pilot... that will be used to carry everyone... i am looking for just me and maybe sometimes the girls... just to go to the store or grab takeout.. or go to jersey to see my freinds... and i hate driving my wifes cabrio...
Go look at both. Sit in both and drive both. And if you have your girls with you see how comfortable everyone is with you and them in each car. It's the only way you'll know what to get. Also if you plan on being heavy into mods and could care less about the warranty there's a bit more out there for the 5.0s currently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.