Anyone replced the 8" subs in the doors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Anyone replced the 8" subs in the doors?

I have a 2011 gt with the Shaker 500, and I want to replace the stock door subs with something better. Has anyone had luck with finding one that fit? Did it require an adapter?
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson
I have a 2011 gt with the Shaker 500, and I want to replace the stock door subs with something better. Has anyone had luck with finding one that fit? Did it require an adapter?
I recommend just adding a small sub (8 or 10inch) in the trunk. The door is plastic and held together with cheap plastic and cheap clips and fasteners and already rattles with the stock crap subs and speakers....any more bass in the door will sound like crap. Add better speakers in the doors and get your bass from the trunk.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

I recommend just adding a small sub (8 or 10inch) in the trunk. The door is plastic and held together with cheap plastic and cheap clips and fasteners and already rattles with the stock crap subs and speakers....any more bass in the door will sound like crap. Add better speakers in the doors and get your bass from the trunk.
And a sub won't do the same to the doors? Lol. The door is held in my screws. I would do go with. Some splines. I would never get a sub had one in the back of my old one just moved around and made a bunch of rattling sounds all per. I would just replace all stock speakers including the ones in your trunk. That's about it. I replaced door speakers with some alpine type r's it sounds way better and there's no rattling. If your worried about rattling get that sound wrap stuff tht insulates and absorbs it.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx

And a sub won't do the same to the doors? Lol. The door is held in my screws. I would do go with. Some splines. I would never get a sub had one in the back of my old one just moved around and made a bunch of rattling sounds all per. I would just replace all stock speakers including the ones in your trunk. That's about it. I replaced door speakers with some alpine type r's it sounds way better and there's no rattling. If your worried about rattling get that sound wrap stuff tht insulates and absorbs it.
Ya man for sure... Dynamat is a great product but sooooo expensive
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It is but you will only need it for your doors and trunk lid your not getting a full blown stereo system
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sat in my brother's CLS 550 twin turbo and loved the sound quality. Now if I could get that in my car i'd be stoked!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Not worth the hassle. Pull them out and put a sub in the trunk if. You want better bass.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Not worth the hassle. Pull them out and put a sub in the trunk if. You want better bass.
Exactly!

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx

Why would you want more bass in the doors? And what's so funny? The crap factory subs in the doors already rattle the doors so adding more bass in them will only make it worse.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Exactly!

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Why would you want more bass in the doors? And what's so funny? The crap factory subs in the doors already rattle the doors so adding more bass in them will only make it worse.
My doors don't rattle at all that's what's funny
Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Re: Anyone replced the 8" subs in the doors?

The only direct replacements for the 8" door woofers are the ones made by Kicker for Shelby:

Kicker Audio 8 Inch Woofers

Everyone who's tried 'em states that they need to be amped in order to sound good (the Shaker head unit doesn't supply enough power to them.)
12gtpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I put an Infinity BassLink powered sub in the trunk- perfect.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The thread was started cuz he was interested in replacing his stock subs with an upgrade. Maybe he wants his trunk space. Telling him to put subs in the trunk instead isn't answering his question.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG2010
The thread was started cuz he was interested in replacing his stock subs with an upgrade. Maybe he wants his trunk space. Telling him to put subs in the trunk instead isn't answering his question.
Your right BUT they are telling him that unless he needs the space then that's the better option.. And I would agree.. But if he needs the space then people have answered that also..
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gtpdx View Post
The only direct replacements for the 8" door woofers are the ones made by Kicker for Shelby:

Kicker Audio 8 Inch Woofers

Everyone who's tried 'em states that they need to be amped in order to sound good (the Shaker head unit doesn't supply enough power to them.)
Those are what I was looking at, and I was wondering if the stock system had the power to run them. Thanks, you answered that question.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post
I put an Infinity BassLink powered sub in the trunk- perfect.
I have looked at the BassLink, but wasn't sure about the install. Did you do it yourself or have it done? Was it simple?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I actually had it installed, I have a BassLink in my Vette that has been in there since 2005, and it has been great- so putting one in the Mustang was a no brainer. Install for these appears pretty straight forward though.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG2010 View Post
This is exactly right. I had an 03 Cobra that I wanted to improve the sound in, but it got out of hand. What started off and swapping out the speakers, turned into a major system. Don't get me wrong, it sounded awesome, but all I really wanted was some clarity.
I have already swapped out the fronts and rears in my 2011, and the improvement was huge. Problem is, the base just doesn't keep up. I have thought about adding a sub in the trunk, but I would only be interested in a form fitting enclosure that sits on the right side of the trunk; I like space back there. What has turned me off from this idea is the splicing into the rears for the signal. Back in the day, that wasn't the right way to do it and it sounded like crap. Lastly, I like the Kicker shown below, but I am unsure of the install. It looks like it comes with a harness, is it plug-and-play? Thoughts?

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-10-woofer.htm

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote:
I actually had it installed, I have a BassLink in my Vette that has been in there since 2005, and it has been great- so putting one in the Mustang was a no brainer. Install for these appears pretty straight forward though.
I know Crutchfield is high, but is this what you installed?

Infinity BassLink Powered subwoofer: 200 watts and a 10" sub at Crutchfield.com
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yep- that is what I installed- got it on sale (from Crutchfield) for $200. It is not exactly "form fitting" but it really fits right in behind the right rear wheel and does not take up much space. I have since trimmed the floor mat to fit and it looks pretty trick in there now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	051212-2.jpg
Views:	3606
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	55416  
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep- that is what I installed- got it on sale (from Crutchfield) for $200. It is not exactly "form fitting" but it really fits right in behind the right rear wheel and does not take up much space. I have since trimmed the floor mat to fit and it looks pretty trick in there now.
For the money, I think that is perfect for me. How would you describe the bass in your car now compared to before. Did you do anything with the 8" door subs or leave them alone? Thanks for the help on this.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Bass is now "solid". I can dial it up as much as I want, as there is a level control that comes with the Basslink that I had installed under the dash. I did not do anything with the subs in the doors, but I have replaced the other two full-range speakers in the doors as well as the two in the back deck. I listen to mostly "classic rock" type stuff- no hip-hop here and I am damn pleased with my shaker system at this point. In addition, if the Basslink isn't giving you enough bass, you can always fold down the back seat and it will blow you through the windshield...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="drivinglesson"]

This is exactly right. I had an 03 Cobra that I wanted to improve the sound in, but it got out of hand. What started off and swapping out the speakers, turned into a major system. Don't get me wrong, it sounded awesome, but all I really wanted was some clarity.
I have already swapped out the fronts and rears in my 2011, and the improvement was huge. Problem is, the base just doesn't keep up. I have thought about adding a sub in the trunk, but I would only be interested in a form fitting enclosure that sits on the right side of the trunk; I like space back there. What has turned me off from this idea is the splicing into the rears for the signal. Back in the day, that wasn't the right way to do it and it sounded like crap. Lastly, I like the Kicker shown below, but I am unsure of the install. It looks like it comes with a harness,%
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

I went with the Shelby GT speakers, which are "Kicker" Brand speakers, they sound excellant, and I added a 10" JLT Sub in the trunk.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

U aren't supposed to tap anything.. Buy the correct wiring harness that gives your factory radio RCA outs and remote wire (amp turn on).. Run rcas and remote wire to amp.. Power wire from battery to amp.. Then speaker wires from whatever speakers your amplifying.. Boom. Done. No tapping.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Crutchfield includes the harness for no extra charge

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT