Short Throw Shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
Short Throw Shifter

I recently tuned my '12 Gt, and in order to compliment the increased throttle response I would like to add a short throw shifter. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one?
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercolanom1
I recently tuned my '12 Gt, and in order to compliment the increased throttle response I would like to add a short throw shifter. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one?
Mgw is generally regarded as the best, but there was a waiting list last I checked.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Guy just got a Barton with there new bracket. He said he loves it.

I had one with old bracket and it was great also.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Guy just got a Barton with there new bracket. He said he loves it.

I had one with old bracket and it was great also.
Barton is also great fom what I've heard. Some people report just the Barton bracket makes a huge difference.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 29
I was just reading reviews about the Barton and bracket, nothing but good things so far.
ercolanom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2012Vader5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 145
If you want to go with the Barton short throw and the bracket I have one used and brand new, never installed. I can't use them anymore with the transmission I'm installing. Message me if you're interested. 250 for the used one 320 for the new one.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edens5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 361
I have the SR performance shifter. It was 150 n it gets the job done. Shorter throw and smoother. I drove a 11 with a steeda shifter and i like mine better. Ill be adding the barton bracket and my assumption is im not missing much and saving money.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
The mgw is the best out there. I have had both setups and the Barton is good and better than stock but there is more that needs to be replaced to have a great shifter assembly. And that's where the mgw is best, it replaced the whole assembly, bottom and top and all the bushings. Makes it so you can slam the gears without worry of breaking the factory crap. And do the install yourself the YouTube videos walk you through it step by step, then you will see how pathetic the whole factory setup is! Makes you wonder how you can even shift the car it's so bad.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edens5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85
The mgw is the best out there. I have had both setups and the Barton is good and better than stock but there is more that needs to be replaced to have a great shifter assembly. And that's where the mgw is best, it replaced the whole assembly, bottom and top and all the bushings. Makes it so you can slam the gears without worry of breaking the factory crap. And do the install yourself the YouTube videos walk you through it step by step, then you will see how pathetic the whole factory setup is! Makes you wonder how you can even shift the car it's so bad.
U dont need an upgrade to relize the stock setup is junk lol.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
I don't have any problems shifting with my factory shifter. It makes me curious if their really is a difference with the aftermarket shifters. I don't know if I wanna spend the money to find out. Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
NAVYGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 207
Re: Short Throw Shifter

So, those that installed the shifters...do all the parts come with it? Any additional items required (like lubricants?) that they don't tell you? I'm leaning towards the MGW after reading more about it. How long was the install for a novice mechanic? I don't want my stang dead in the driveway because I struggled to install the shifter. Also, does the old knob fit on the replacement shifter?
__________________
2010 GT Prem 400A Kona Blue
Manual, TrackPack, Electronics, Comfort, 3.73 & Security Packages, HID's
Mods: Flowmasters, GT/CS Rear Spoiler, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, JLT Oil Separator, MMD Hood struts, ... more parts on their way
NAVYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Just got my mgw a week or so ago. It took a month to get here. Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Short Throw Shifter

my 2012 shifter isnt bad factory, better than 2005-2010 for sure, i want to see how a new shifter feels in the newer cars
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
my 2012 shifter isnt bad factory, better than 2005-2010 for sure, i want to see how a new shifter feels in the newer cars
My problem is, what if I spend the $300+ and it doesn't feel any different to me? In the past I've gone by what YouTube and other people say and was left disappointed in the end. When people tell me they "love" something, that makes me think that they couldn't live without it. Lol. I guess I'm just cheap and don't want to waste money on something that my stock part does just fine.

If anybody would like to "Sponsor" me an MGW short shifter, I'll be glad to try it out and do a complete detailed write up on it and how well it performs over stock.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

My problem is, what if I spend the $300+ and it doesn't feel any different to me? In the past I've gone by what YouTube and other people say and was left disappointed in the end. When people tell me they "love" something, that makes me think that they couldn't live without it. Lol. I guess I'm just cheap and don't want to waste money on something that my stock part does just fine.

If anybody would like to "Sponsor" me an MGW short shifter, I'll be glad to try it out and do a complete detailed write up on it and how well it performs over stock.
Im a pretty picky guy. It takes quite a bit to impress me when it comes to bolt ons. I had the hurst shifter and hated it. I tried the barton and although it was better it left something to be desired. When i went back to my friends shop to see what other options there were. He had just got done installing his first mgw on a boss and let me have a go. I was blown away, if someone made me choose between a mgw and 15-20 more hp for the same price. I would pick the mgw everytime. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
NAVYGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 207
Re: Short Throw Shifter

Well DWC, you just sold me. Seems like you tried all three. Well, I really would like to test drive some of the shifters myself before I lay down the cash. I guess I'll get the MGW as my next mod; especially since that's predominantly what I do in my vehicle - SHIFT! Up and Down...endless fun...and hopefully the MGW will had more "funness" to it already?!?!?

Can anyone answer the following:
So, those that installed the shifters...do all the parts come with it? Any additional items required (like lubricants?) that they don't tell you? I'm leaning towards the MGW after reading more about it. How long was the install for a novice mechanic? I don't want my stang dead in the driveway because I struggled to install the shifter. Also, does the old knob fit on the replacement shifter?
__________________
2010 GT Prem 400A Kona Blue
Manual, TrackPack, Electronics, Comfort, 3.73 & Security Packages, HID's
Mods: Flowmasters, GT/CS Rear Spoiler, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, JLT Oil Separator, MMD Hood struts, ... more parts on their way
NAVYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edens5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYGUY
Well DWC, you just sold me. Seems like you tried all three. Well, I really would like to test drive some of the shifters myself before I lay down the cash. I guess I'll get the MGW as my next mod; especially since that's predominantly what I do in my vehicle - SHIFT! Up and Down...endless fun...and hopefully the MGW will had more "funness" to it already?!?!?

Can anyone answer the following:
So, those that installed the shifters...do all the parts come with it? Any additional items required (like lubricants?) that they don't tell you? I'm leaning towards the MGW after reading more about it. How long was the install for a novice mechanic? I don't want my stang dead in the driveway because I struggled to install the shifter. Also, does the old knob fit on the replacement shifter?
All parts should come with it. U can jus use the grease on the factory shifter to put on ur aftermarket one. Install will take 30-45 mins. The only hard part is wrenching the bracket under the car beacuse the bolts are long as heck n i dont have a lift or power tools lol. N yea u can reuse the factory knob
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYGUY
Well DWC, you just sold me. Seems like you tried all three. Well, I really would like to test drive some of the shifters myself before I lay down the cash. I guess I'll get the MGW as my next mod; especially since that's predominantly what I do in my vehicle - SHIFT! Up and Down...endless fun...and hopefully the MGW will had more "funness" to it already?!?!?

Can anyone answer the following:
So, those that installed the shifters...do all the parts come with it? Any additional items required (like lubricants?) that they don't tell you? I'm leaning towards the MGW after reading more about it. How long was the install for a novice mechanic? I don't want my stang dead in the driveway because I struggled to install the shifter. Also, does the old knob fit on the replacement shifter?
All the parts needed come with the mgw. It replaces everything. No lubricants needed. The shift arm that comes with it is threaded to be used with their knobs that they produce (which are awesome and sold seperately) you can select to have a shift arm with the factory thread pitch so you can use the stock knob. Read carefully while ordering. The install is pretty straight forward. Out with the old in with the new. It took me and a friend with a lift about 2 hours taking our time. It can be done on jack stands. You will have to get under the car. Be careful. 1 person in the driveway on stands should be able to do it in 2-3 hours tops. There is nothing to be intimidated by and no forseable speedbumps that will leave your stang stranded. Good luck.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edens5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

All the parts needed come with the mgw. It replaces everything. No lubricants needed. The shift arm that comes with it is threaded to be used with their knobs that they produce (which are awesome and sold seperately) you can select to have a shift arm with the factory thread pitch so you can use the stock knob. Read carefully while ordering. The install is pretty straight forward. Out with the old in with the new. It took me and a friend with a lift about 2 hours taking our time. It can be done on jack stands. You will have to get under the car. Be careful. 1 person in the driveway on stands should be able to do it in 2-3 hours tops. There is nothing to be intimidated by and no forseable speedbumps that will leave your stang stranded. Good luck.
Im guessing 2-3 hours taking ur time with a buddy means there were some beverages involved lol.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Short Throw Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
My problem is, what if I spend the $300+ and it doesn't feel any different to me? In the past I've gone by what YouTube and other people say and was left disappointed in the end. When people tell me they "love" something, that makes me think that they couldn't live without it. Lol. I guess I'm just cheap and don't want to waste money on something that my stock part does just fine.

If anybody would like to "Sponsor" me an MGW short shifter, I'll be glad to try it out and do a complete detailed write up on it and how well it performs over stock.
I do believe you have a valid point in the amount of "awesome" you gain over stock. Many can really hype it up... and when you install your new shifter you dont see galloping unicorns or rainbows on your first test drive you feel let down.

The 05+ GT's with their crappy linkage setup really makes an aftermarket shifter not feel as different as the pre 05 did, at least to me~ so I wouldnt expect an amazing 10000% change~ perhaps someone can let you feel their shifter at a car event/meet and you can compare it to your stock one.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5

Im guessing 2-3 hours taking ur time with a buddy means there were some beverages involved lol.
Yes sir, plenty of breaks and beers.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
bellski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 283
Re: Short Throw Shifter

I have the Barton and bracket on my 2011 and love it!
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
LeviG2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 105
If the mgw is better why is it cheaper then the Barton. Wouldnt the higher quality parts be more costly?
__________________
The driver doesn't pick the car. The car picks the driver.
LeviG2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG2010
If the mgw is better why is it cheaper then the Barton. Wouldnt the higher quality parts be more costly?
The mgw is around $350. I dont think the barton is that much.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

The mgw is around $350. I dont think the barton is that much.
$375 just for the shifter. Add the heat shield, shift ball, and jam nut brings you to $450.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

$375 just for the shifter. Add the heat shield, shift ball, and jam nut brings you to $450.
Something like that. Whatever Mr. Specific, JK. LOL
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

Something like that. Whatever Mr. Specific, JK. LOL
Lol just copied it from their website since there seemed to be a lot of confusion around exactly how much it cost.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Lol just copied it from their website since there seemed to be a lot of confusion around exactly how much it cost.
I know it was alot. It took 5 weeks to get. But i would do it all again. Well worth it.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 72
Re: Short Throw Shifter

I have the MGW on my 2012 and it completely changed the driving experience. I know this sounds like gushing enthusiasm but see what you think when you get yours .
__________________
2012 GT Coupe Premium 6 speed MT with 3.73 option, black on black
pcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ravnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 354
Has anyone bought the heat shield and is it worth buying?
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 72
Re: Short Throw Shifter

My installation includes the heat shield and since I have only used it with the shield, can't answer your question. But I figured if I am getting the shifter installed why not install the shield at the same time.
__________________
2012 GT Coupe Premium 6 speed MT with 3.73 option, black on black
pcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
I have the heat shield also.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
michael81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Europe
Posts: 35
I do not have the heat shield and can not feel any heat exchange, but this is a little more noise over stock but mostly at start up.
michael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
bellski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 283
Re: Short Throw Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael81 View Post
I do not have the heat shield and can not feel any heat exchange, but this is a little more noise over stock but mostly at start up.
Really? Why would there be noise coming from a shifter at start-up?
__________________
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #35
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Because the exhaust runs along the same channel as the driveshaft, any time there is less material to dampen sound and it is taken away, there will be more sound
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:03 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.