Help with 1st 1/4 mile runs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangreazon50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 209
Help with 1st 1/4 mile runs

Know this will be a pretty rookie question, but I've gotten plenty different answers on it. I'll be going to the track in about a week and I'm totally new at this. What gears should I pull off in? Should I go normal (1st,2nd,3rd)? Should I pull off in 2nd? Or should I pull off in 1st, skip 2nd and go straight to third? I have a 2012 base gt and I'm completely stock performance wise so I'm not expecting the greatest numbers (since I'm completely new) tips also would be appreciated. Thanks
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
1-2-3-4 fifth if u need it. No need for a big burnout on stock rubber. Launch low... ~3k rpm... don't dump the clutch, roll out of it. shift quick. have fun. Expect something in the mid to high 13s. Until you get ur launch sorted out.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilverBullet12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 185
Re: Help with 1st 1/4 mile runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post
Know this will be a pretty rookie question, but I've gotten plenty different answers on it. I'll be going to the track in about a week and I'm totally new at this. What gears should I pull off in? Should I go normal (1st,2nd,3rd)? Should I pull off in 2nd? Or should I pull off in 1st, skip 2nd and go straight to third? I have a 2012 base gt and I'm completely stock performance wise so I'm not expecting the greatest numbers (since I'm completely new) tips also would be appreciated. Thanks
Well first off, you're going to the track, welcome to your new addiction!! haha

I would suggest shifting normal. Dont try and launch the car for the first couple times just roll off the line. Once you get used to it get the tires nice and hot and launch at 2000-2500. I did that and cut a 1'8 60' so its def possible get a good 60' on the stock tires. Dont try and kill it the first time out there and ignore the car next to you, even saying your in a 12' gt chances are theyll be behind you haha. What gears do you have?
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Above. Launch easy first. Heat the tires real good. Least 5 second burn out. Then launch around 1200rpms to start. Side stepping or slipping the clutch.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
And leave on the last yellow light. Do not wait for green!
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
And leave on the last yellow light. Do not wait for green!
If was racing some one I would agree. But while just practicing it don't matter. Reaction time don't hurt ET.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

If was racing some one I would agree. But while just practicing it don't matter. Reaction time don't hurt ET.
+1 leave as late as you want on the line, the time doesn't start until you are rolling through the beams
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
I'm aware, just giving a tip to a first timer if, obviously, he's trying to win the race. See TONS of street cars guys leavin way too late.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
I'm aware, just giving a tip to a first timer if, obviously, he's trying to win the race. See TONS of street cars guys leavin way too late.
He is going for the first time. He needs to.practice before worrying about jumping the light. That is a common mistake people do first time and blow the tires off. Unless its a event of some kind just practice. Who cares about car next to.you.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
Anyone who wants to win
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
Anyone who wants to win
Your missing the point...
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
No dude, I'm not. I understand it's his first time out. I understand he needs to get a feel for his car, practice his launch. I too drag race, not just you. I'm just giving a tip I learned. He doesn't have to try and cut a good light right off the bat but he can use it down the road. It's just a heads up.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangreazon50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12

Well first off, you're going to the track, welcome to your new addiction!! haha

I would suggest shifting normal. Dont try and launch the car for the first couple times just roll off the line. Once you get used to it get the tires nice and hot and launch at 2000-2500. I did that and cut a 1'8 60' so its def possible get a good 60' on the stock tires. Dont try and kill it the first time out there and ignore the car next to you, even saying your in a 12' gt chances are theyll be behind you haha. What gears do you have?
I think I have 3.73 I looked when I first got the car and haven't looked since. Thank u for all the tips, they are awesome please keep em coming.
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
1-2-3-4 fifth if u need it. No need for a big burnout on stock rubber. Launch low... ~3k rpm... don't dump the clutch, roll out of it. shift quick. have fun. Expect something in the mid to high 13s. Until you get ur launch sorted out.
+1

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
And leave on the last yellow light. Do not wait for green!
I would concentrate on the launch first and not worry about the reaction time. The 60ft will be the toughest.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Concentrate on making the shifts first, them work on speeding up as you get more runs
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:59 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.