Help with 1st 1/4 mile runs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Help with 1st 1/4 mile runs

Know this will be a pretty rookie question, but I've gotten plenty different answers on it. I'll be going to the track in about a week and I'm totally new at this. What gears should I pull off in? Should I go normal (1st,2nd,3rd)? Should I pull off in 2nd? Or should I pull off in 1st, skip 2nd and go straight to third? I have a 2012 base gt and I'm completely stock performance wise so I'm not expecting the greatest numbers (since I'm completely new) tips also would be appreciated. Thanks
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
1-2-3-4 fifth if u need it. No need for a big burnout on stock rubber. Launch low... ~3k rpm... don't dump the clutch, roll out of it. shift quick. have fun. Expect something in the mid to high 13s. Until you get ur launch sorted out.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: Help with 1st 1/4 mile runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post
Know this will be a pretty rookie question, but I've gotten plenty different answers on it. I'll be going to the track in about a week and I'm totally new at this. What gears should I pull off in? Should I go normal (1st,2nd,3rd)? Should I pull off in 2nd? Or should I pull off in 1st, skip 2nd and go straight to third? I have a 2012 base gt and I'm completely stock performance wise so I'm not expecting the greatest numbers (since I'm completely new) tips also would be appreciated. Thanks
Well first off, you're going to the track, welcome to your new addiction!! haha

I would suggest shifting normal. Dont try and launch the car for the first couple times just roll off the line. Once you get used to it get the tires nice and hot and launch at 2000-2500. I did that and cut a 1'8 60' so its def possible get a good 60' on the stock tires. Dont try and kill it the first time out there and ignore the car next to you, even saying your in a 12' gt chances are theyll be behind you haha. What gears do you have?
SilverBullet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Above. Launch easy first. Heat the tires real good. Least 5 second burn out. Then launch around 1200rpms to start. Side stepping or slipping the clutch.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
And leave on the last yellow light. Do not wait for green!
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
If was racing some one I would agree. But while just practicing it don't matter. Reaction time don't hurt ET.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

If was racing some one I would agree. But while just practicing it don't matter. Reaction time don't hurt ET.
+1 leave as late as you want on the line, the time doesn't start until you are rolling through the beams

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm aware, just giving a tip to a first timer if, obviously, he's trying to win the race. See TONS of street cars guys leavin way too late.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'm aware, just giving a tip to a first timer if, obviously, he's trying to win the race. See TONS of street cars guys leavin way too late.
He is going for the first time. He needs to.practice before worrying about jumping the light. That is a common mistake people do first time and blow the tires off. Unless its a event of some kind just practice. Who cares about car next to.you.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone who wants to win
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Anyone who wants to win
Your missing the point...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

No dude, I'm not. I understand it's his first time out. I understand he needs to get a feel for his car, practice his launch. I too drag race, not just you. I'm just giving a tip I learned. He doesn't have to try and cut a good light right off the bat but he can use it down the road. It's just a heads up.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet12

Well first off, you're going to the track, welcome to your new addiction!! haha

I would suggest shifting normal. Dont try and launch the car for the first couple times just roll off the line. Once you get used to it get the tires nice and hot and launch at 2000-2500. I did that and cut a 1'8 60' so its def possible get a good 60' on the stock tires. Dont try and kill it the first time out there and ignore the car next to you, even saying your in a 12' gt chances are theyll be behind you haha. What gears do you have?
I think I have 3.73 I looked when I first got the car and haven't looked since. Thank u for all the tips, they are awesome please keep em coming.
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
1-2-3-4 fifth if u need it. No need for a big burnout on stock rubber. Launch low... ~3k rpm... don't dump the clutch, roll out of it. shift quick. have fun. Expect something in the mid to high 13s. Until you get ur launch sorted out.
+1

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Quote:
I would concentrate on the launch first and not worry about the reaction time. The 60ft will be the toughest.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Concentrate on making the shifts first, them work on speeding up as you get more runs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT