respect for 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
respect for 5.0

While on the open road I was driving 70 mph in 6th and down shifted to 3rd and ran it up to about 6500 and 90 mph. Performed a crisp shift from 3rd to 4 th and to my surprise my TCS engaged and reduced engine power. I choose to keep the TCS and ECT engaged because after 2 yrs as l am still learning to respect the power of the 5.0. What can one expect at these speeds should the TCS be disengaged and to loose traction? Still have factory p zeros with half their life left. I don't want the car to get sideways should I do this again. I know many of you go to the track and disengage the TCS before your run. Still wish Ford would have allowed for a wider contact patch on the road. Tires IMO are too skinny to handle the power but I do realize a wider tire would protrude outside the fender.
mongo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
If no mods, tcs off at those speeds should be just fine, only way you would possibly break traction would be if you revved it to 6500 the dump clutch... But even that may be a stretch

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
At that speed its likepy just a chirp. Your not going to blow the tires off at that speed. If your worried about it then don't turn it off. Personally I hate tc. My tune turns it off by default now.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
At that speed its likepy just a chirp. Your not going to blow the tires off at that speed. If your worried about it then don't turn it off. Personally I hate tc. My tune turns it off by default now.
In a lot of ways it's kinda like when they introduced anti lock brakes. It makes some people forget how to drive.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I've chirped the tires shifting into 4th before.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckChorris
I have too with a mildly modded 5.0

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
I do everytime.. Haven't tried it yet w my invos though..
Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

In a lot of ways it's kinda like when they introduced anti lock brakes. It makes some people forget how to drive.
In the 25 yrs I have been driving they have all been front wheel drive. Totally different handling experience driving rear wheel drive. In driving these front wheel drive, lower horsepower cars, it wasn't uncommon to chirp them from 1st to 2nd. I'll admit I'm still mastering the characteristics of the Mustang. I want to have fun learning yet not to the point of being irresponsible.People still haven't learned to correctly use anti lock brakes. When the anti locks kick in many people still reduce brake pedal pressure just because they feel the brake pedal pulsate.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo1970
While on the open road I was driving 70 mph in 6th and down shifted to 3rd and ran it up to about 6500 and 90 mph. Performed a crisp shift from 3rd to 4 th and to my surprise my TCS engaged and reduced engine power. I choose to keep the TCS and ECT engaged because after 2 yrs as l am still learning to respect the power of the 5.0. What can one expect at these speeds should the TCS be disengaged and to loose traction? Still have factory p zeros with half their life left. I don't want the car to get sideways should I do this again. I know many of you go to the track and disengage the TCS before your run. Still wish Ford would have allowed for a wider contact patch on the road. Tires IMO are too skinny to handle the power but I do realize a wider tire would protrude outside the fender.
I feel a lot like you, I'm still respecting the power of the 5.0, haven't pushed to hard cause I feel the power at ever shift. It pulls all day. I do mini burn outs by pure accident at lights when I take off. Belive me I'm not trying to
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema

I feel a lot like you, I'm still respecting the power of the 5.0, haven't pushed to hard cause I feel the power at ever shift. It pulls all day. I do mini burn outs by pure accident at lights when I take off. Belive me I'm not trying to
I'm a firm believer that if you abuse it you Will pay for of it in the end. Still crapping elephant turds knowing I Will have to pay approx. $1000 to replace tire. 19 inch wheels. I refuse to turn off TCS just to do a turnout. My luck Will be I have a tranny issue, see the rubber in my wheel wells and void my warranty.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Mines stock except for muffler deletes. Which basically adds 0hp. I do have 3.73s though.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

In the 25 yrs I have been driving they have all been front wheel drive. Totally different handling experience driving rear wheel drive. In driving these front wheel drive, lower horsepower cars, it wasn't uncommon to chirp them from 1st to 2nd. I'll admit I'm still mastering the characteristics of the Mustang. I want to have fun learning yet not to the point of being irresponsible.People still haven't learned to correctly use anti lock brakes. When the anti locks kick in many people still reduce brake pedal pressure just because they feel the brake pedal pulsate.
My point was that it gives "some" people a false sense of security. The TC could give people the impression that they can just punch it and my TC will save me.

But, I wasn't directing this at you personally Just trying to make a point about the computer assist tech these days.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

My point was that it gives "some" people a false sense of security. The TC could give people the impression that they can just punch it and my TC will save me.

But, I wasn't directing this at you personally Just trying to make a point about the computer assist tech these days.
Totally agree. I love the TCS and the EST when it is raining. With these cars being so light in the *** any blurp of the throttle could make for a wild ride. However with normal driving conditions the TCS could ne used a crutch. But if your ESC EVER engages hopefully your on a road course. If it does you more than likely driving too aggressive. Wouldn't be able to live with myself for being an idiot if someone else gets hurt.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Mines stock except for muffler deletes. Which basically adds 0hp. I do have 3.73s though.
Exact same setup as me
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: respect for 5.0

I would try to get used to running in Sport Mode (press brake pedal and tap traction control button twice). This lets you be frisky but keeps you out of too much trouble if you can't handle the car.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Chirped 4th when she was bone stock.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccorlet
I would try to get used to running in Sport Mode (press brake pedal and tap traction control button twice). This lets you be frisky but keeps you out of too much trouble if you can't handle the car.
That's a cool feature. Didn't know that.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: respect for 5.0

i personally hate tcs, abs and all electronic aids. I never use tcs in my mustang
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Totally agree. I love the TCS and the EST when it is raining. With these cars being so light in the *** any blurp of the throttle could make for a wild ride. However with normal driving conditions the TCS could ne used a crutch. But if your ESC EVER engages hopefully your on a road course. If it does you more than likely driving too aggressive. Wouldn't be able to live with myself for being an idiot if someone else gets hurt.
These cars aren't light in the rear like the old ones. It's a 55/45 weight split now. The old 90's and earlier were light. I started out with the 70's models and have had them throughout the years. These latest are a huge improvement. The biggest traction limitation is in the tire patch. 245 stock is just too skinny for the power. Get some 275 or 285 on the back and you will be able to get the traction.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I chirped 4th bone stock too. Then with a cai, catback exhaust, bama tune, and m/t slicks I chirped 4th at drag strip. As for the tc, it saved me once and then almost hurt me once. It saved me when I was getting of an on ramp to get on the express way. I shifted into 4th, floored it, and almost spun out before i got on the expressway. The tc saved me and the car. It corrected the car back into the lane. It was a nice wake up call. At the track, I forgot to turn off the tc one time. So first gear launch was good, but come second gear, engine power reduced to almost zero, and I just about out smashed my face into the steering wheel. Also a nice wake up call.
The t/c systems and abs systems are great aids and work well. To be given the option to disable the t/c is there to keep us all happy.
Struego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I was saved by stability control once. car started going side to side on me and I couldn't get it straight until stability control kicked in. I def don't turn that off.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Took my buddy for a ride once and got on it for him after I turned on a side road and took off in second got a nasty 3rd gear scratch and then a nice 4th.. He was like man that was one hell of a second gear scratch.. I laugh and said nah that was 3rd and then 4th lol.. He was used to his 03 5spd GT lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT