Better fuel mileage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Better fuel mileage

Hey Mustang brothers! So was wondering what type of upgrades I could put on my 13' GT to achieve better fuel mileage? I know that my foot has to do with a lot, but what else besides self control? And how much would these upgrades give me? However 26mpg+ highways? Who needs a prius!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No experience with these newer cars/motors, but the idea is to get air in and out as fast as possible.

Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body, and full exhaust upgrades will benefit you greatly in that aspect. You will also see a gain in HP/TQ with these upgrades. Removing the catalytic converters by using an Offroad midpipe will help a lot from what I've read.

Besides that, weight reduction. The possibilities are out there, just depends on the practicality and safety you're desiring.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Better fuel mileage

Quick 60$ upgrade is a k&n dropin filter helps a little!
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Actually a good tune and a lot of my other mods help me out some. I have tune exhaust boss intake. Only mod that hurt was spoiler. I average 20 miles per gallon City and highway combined

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A tune, exhaust- full system long tube headers. Nice big intake cai
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods View Post
No experience with these newer cars/motors, but the idea is to get air in and out as fast as possible.

Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body, and full exhaust upgrades will benefit you greatly in that aspect. You will also see a gain in HP/TQ with these upgrades. Removing the catalytic converters by using an Offroad midpipe will help a lot from what I've read.

Besides that, weight reduction. The possibilities are out there, just depends on the practicality and safety you're desiring.

Good luck
+1

It is common knowledge in tuner circles that intake/headers/exhaust create a more efficient engine. More power, less fuel, and it will sound great.

If you are on a budget, a good K&N filter will gain you some small improvement plus a modest bump in power.
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
400plus horsepower & 25mpg in a mustang. What's the problem?!!! Technology is just getting better and better
tolly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I was averaging 18 mpg on the highway last night. And I was averaging 90 mph. So I was ok with that
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
+1

It is common knowledge in tuner circles that intake/headers/exhaust create a more efficient engine. More power, less fuel, and it will sound great.

If you are on a budget, a good K&N filter will gain you some small improvement plus a modest bump in power.
I installed my K&N Filter 2 weeks ago and I surprisingly got from 13mpg to 15mpg driving the same exact way! Also you can hear your intake sucking air shifting at medium Rpms! Or maybe its just me Idk haha
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods

Good luck
Throttle bodies have shown to be worthless on these cars. Same for cai as well when actually racing.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Throttle bodies have shown to be worthless on these cars. Same for cai as well when actually racing.
Really? Good to know. So the stock airbox/tb must flow pretty good.
When actually racing, I would say skip boltons and go for Forced Induction! But the OP asked for MPG increase and didn't mention HP/TQ at all.

I would think that the larger TB/CAI would do something for DD MPG.. It sure did for my brother's truck. The new 5.0 is a little different engine than his though..
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Oh really? Why is it that the cai's flow way more air then the stock airbox? And why is it that throttle bodies also add to the better flow? And better flow means more power and a more efficient car. How is that worthless? And why is it that every tuner shop known to man uses a cai?
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Oh really? Why is it that the cai's flow way more air then the stock airbox? And why is it that throttle bodies also add to the better flow? And better flow means more power and a more efficient car. How is that worthless? And why is it that every tuner shop known to man uses a cai?
Your a ******. Shops get paid to use them on theoretical cars. Look at all the reviews I have posted on real world test. From unbiased people testing them. TB on the dyno gaining nothing. There is a huge thread about it on s197. Where they have real tech sections. Not filled with look at my rims BS. Look at real world track test of cai that gained nothing. That everything gained came from the tune actually.

Stock TB is 80mm. Others are 82mm. Not gaining crap. Ford released one that was 90mm. But yet intake its self is still only 80mm. So again worthless.

When you actually know something about these cars and stop believing everything in magazines or what someone trying to.sell a part is telling you. Then come back and make an educated post.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

And test you cold air with Hood down. It flows no more air then the stock box. Been proven already. By people that wasn't out to just make $350 off a piece of plastic.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT