What things do I need to consider when Lowering my car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
What things do I need to consider when Lowering my car?

Like what things do I need to change so my suspension doesn't break in the future?
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
New camber bolts and possibly plates. Reason I say possible plates is because with the brembo package you may not necessarily need them to get the alignment right. Other items people look into is a new pan handle but I went without because I am replacing it with a watts link in the future. Another thing to look into futuristically is new front lower a arms from bmr. They are more ergonomically built for lowered mustangs which ensures max surface area of the tires. So up front camber bolts and everything else futuristic thought

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
+1 Make sure you do your research on the springs you buy. I bought crap and now my ride is crap. It's gonna cost me but I've gotta get something better.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It also some what depends on how low you wanna go. I dropped an inch and am alignment fixed me just fine. Anything more than would pretty much require the other stuff

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: What things do I need to consider when Lowering my car?

I agree w/GrabberBlue, it's a decision that is different for each of us: obviously a 2" drop looks sick, but can you live with a ride that beats your brains out every time you take the car out? My brother went with a 2" drop on his 08 GT/CS and his ride is brutal (car looks cool though...). I went with a more moderate 1" front- 1-1/2" rear and my ride is firmer than stock, but not punishing at all. Plan on replacing your strut mounts, as they do not do well with replacement struts, and you will want to go with an adjustable panhard bar to keep your rear axle centered once the car is dropped. You will be happy with the results if you don't go crazy low and use quality parts.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post
I agree w/GrabberBlue, it's a decision that is different for each of us: obviously a 2" drop looks sick, but can you live with a ride that beats your brains out every time you take the car out? My brother went with a 2" drop on his 08 GT/CS and his ride is brutal (car looks cool though...). I went with a more moderate 1" front- 1-1/2" rear and my ride is firmer than stock, but not punishing at all. Plan on replacing your strut mounts, as they do not do well with replacement struts, and you will want to go with an adjustable panhard bar to keep your rear axle centered once the car is dropped. You will be happy with the results if you don't go crazy low and use quality parts.
I like your drop I think I'll stick 2 a 1" drop, Thanks for the suggestions I'll Look more into it!
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50 View Post
Like what things do I need to change so my suspension doesn't break in the future?
It depends on how low of a drop that you end up choosing. I would definitely suggest an alignment.

An adjustable panhard bar (to recenter the rear-end), new upper control arm (to correct pinion angle), and camber adjustment (whether by camber bolts or strut mounts) are recommended (to adjust the camber to spec to prevent too much or unequal inside tire wear)

Such as with our Sport & Ultralite springs, we recommend the above but they are not required because the drop is mild (~1").
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
So if I drop it an inch, what are the best springs recommended? also, if I drop it, I only need an alignment? Nothing more? great!!

Is it easy to do yourself? Approximate install time?
NAVYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYGUY View Post
So if I drop it an inch, what are the best springs recommended? also, if I drop it, I only need an alignment? Nothing more? great!!

Is it easy to do yourself? Approximate install time?
1 1/2 to 2 hours. The rear only takes about 30min and the front a little longer.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT