Burned my cats with my new Roushcharger, nasty pics inside !!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Angry Burned my cats with my new Roushcharger, nasty pics inside !!!!

I had my Roush tvs installed on my 2012 GT about 6 weeks ago and have been having issues since day one.

The car is randomly throwing P0300 misfire, the dealer looked at it a few times but i never was able to get them confirm that they check the spark plug gapping and vacuum leaks. The only thing they did was to reflash the pcm.

Now....i got this wonderfull news that my Magnaflow x-pipe + hf cats were good for the scrapyard !!!

The cats have been on the car for only a few months, but strange enough 2 weeks after my supercharger is installed the cats are dead !!!

Tell me what you think from the pics below....1 side is much more damaged than the other.

Was this caused by the misfire or simply the Roush tune that doesnt turn off the rear 02 sensor.

Since i noticed that the car was misfiring i barely drove it so i,m surprised that a misfire could have caused this much damage so fast..

I tought that these cats were perfect for a supercharged car, maybe theyre simply made of poor quality components...!

nocats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah those cats are done. it seems that whatever tune Your running is way to rich that's what causes cats to melt. And I don't know what benefit you would gain from turning the rear o2s off unless your not running cats the only thing they do is monitor the efficiency of the cat so if you didn't have cats I could understand having a tune that basically makes a false rear o2s reading so you MIL light doesn't come on
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I say gut'em.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
At least the xpipe is still good!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182
Yeah those cats are done. it seems that whatever tune Your running is way to rich that's what causes cats to melt. And I don't know what benefit you would gain from turning the rear o2s off unless your not running cats the only thing they do is monitor the efficiency of the cat so if you didn't have cats I could understand having a tune that basically makes a false rear o2s reading so you MIL light doesn't come on
These were high flow cats so without turning off the rear o2 sensor the check engine would light up from time to time.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT
At least the xpipe is still good!
Yeah but know im trying to figure out how to get the two pipes that go before the x-pipe to to run a catless setup.
That would be the same one that AM are running on their GB GT.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Cats and fi never turnout good. Experience modders and car guys could have told you that. Your dealer should have known that being running aftermarket exhaust. Specially if was on stock roush tune
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I have something similar.. I have a clamp on style bbk xpipe that just replaces the factory H.. I took it to a muffler shop and had him cut the cats out and reweld some pipe in place.. Costed $50 for him to do that a bolt on my xpipe.. I live in a town of 13k so might be a lil higher in a bigger city..
Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Cats and fi never turnout good. Experience modders and car guys could have told you that. Your dealer should have known that being running aftermarket exhaust. Specially if was on stock roush tune
Yeah i knew of bad story with fi and cats but seeing that many guys are running the stock cats with their tvs made me think that it was ok.

I dont think that the majority of Roushcharged cars are running catless setup.
If im not mistaking even VMP is running stock cats.

That whole thing is a nonsense since Roush is guarantiing the whole powertrain for 3 years.

Only the aftermarket hf cats gets destroyed, not the oem ones ?

I did put back the stockers on for now, wondering what to do next.

If the misfire are happening again and destroy the oem cats too at least i wont be the one paying this time.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
With a stock.roush tune will be OK. For a while. Vmp don't run cats on his wife's tvs car. It has full exhaust
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I do know the generally speaking OEM cats are usually a higher quality than ones made by aftermarket manufactures. That's why the aftermarket ones are so cheap compared to OEM
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT