Calling all 13' GT 5.0 Owners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Calling all 13' GT 5.0 Owners

So i have a question for anyone/everyone who has a 13 Mustang GT, I bought mine in April 2012, 5.0 6sp Brembo Package. With 200 some miles on it I had a non stop ticking noise coming from left side of motor...after 2 trips to Ford...they decided to replace the 5.0 in it. So after a week at Ford I got it back. Since that time I have taken the car out after work on the weekends and Ive had the following problem, If I wind the car out from 1st thru 4th gear on a open road, the check engine light will flash, and the car will misfire (lose power) for about 10-15 seconds. This has occurred before and after putting my Borla Axlebacks on. I also bought a BAMA Tune, and JLT CAI, after the light still came on, and after dealing with Mike @Bama, I removed them both, and drove the vehicle stock with just my Borlas on. Well after a week of running the car stock it did it again, this time doing both check engine light flashing and the next day staying on solid.

So back to Ford it went, after having to wait 4-5 days to get in. They pulled up random misfire codes and replaced the #1,#6 coils, and guess what..it still did it. Then they asked me to change my exhaust back to to stock to see if that was the problem, where I finally flipped my lid, and told them to do it themselves as to that has no bearing on anything.

So today all of a sudden a engineer from ford just happened to be there..imagine that. Still cant find anything, and recommends I do a recalibration of some sort(that might fix the issue) because supposed the 13's sensors are very sensitive to exhaust upgrades.

I know this is long...bare with me, does anyone else in here who has a 13' had any issue like this whether your car is stock...or slightly modified(exhaust,Tune,CAI)????

I have a call into Ford..as well as the mangers at my Ford and the Ford dealership owner. I have never heard of such a problem with the 5.0's and I have 2 friends that own one that have more mods than just my Borla exhaust.

I told Ford to keep my car....and just order in a new one as I am beyond PO'D right now.....
2013GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My car has had boss manifold, stock intake, SCT with Lund 93 tune, lethal o/r x, and gt500 AB since 15 miles were on the car. Zero problems. Mine is 2013 GT base.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Many had this issue with 11-12's. I did my self with my manual. Fixes came from number of things as new computer, Ford doing crank position relearn, replacing crank sensor, clutch issues,
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Calling all 13' GT 5.0 Owners

Mine is a manual also....did yours do it before Mods or after just our of curiosity?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Before and after. First time I chalked up.to bad gas. That was with about 180 miles on it. Then I put tune and cold air. Did again with about 700 miles on it. Then tranny went out. Ford replaced tranny and it did all time. They replaced my computer and it stopped it seemed. Then started doing again. I said f it and modded it again. It would only do it sometimes after wot above 5000rpms. I didn't have power loss though.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Sounds bad, hopefully they take care of it soon

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Sorry to hear that. I also have a 13 and have done an axle back exhaust. 2000 miles on it with the exhaust and zero problems. Sounds like they're just guessing to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Have have owned an 11 gt and now a 12. Have I had problems yes. The 11 the TCS locked up my wheels while doing 60 on the highway and almost killed me and my girlfriend. The tranny would shift like I was driving a wheat truck. So I traded it in on a lava red brembo 12 gt. water pump went out and the tranny used to be notchy but now it shifts like butter. Just have to break em in. Only mod I have are roush axle backs. To afrade to mod the motor just yet. Love the car feel your pain. It will get better.
Bowtiebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have a '13. Boss intake, jlt cai, cat deletes, 3" exhaust, xpipe, flowmaster mufflers, and a sct 93 octane tune on a dyno. No problems before or after. The only thing we noticed on the dyno when it was stock was the factory tune sucked. It wanted to lean out real bad on high rpms and go into cat over temps. And at WOT over 3k the air fuel would not drop. Since the mods and the tune, everything is in perfect working order. Good luck to ya!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have '13 Gt. With borla catback. I have no problems before or after. I have 600 miles.
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Region: Michigan
I have a '13 GT premium, manual, no mods, with ~250 miles and I've had no problems.
Dream Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

They know every code its throwing.If good tech he will think outside the box as for the problem.They put a brand new motor in over some ticking???? Not sure If I like that or not.Guess it's one of those deals where you have to be there and go on your gut feeling.How many miles was on the car when you took delivery.Just seems they would have opened it up to have a look in the motor.Surprised ford was quick to approve a NEW 5.0. it could be simple as some type of relearn they are missing.I know guys who have had just the tranny pulled for a strong aftermarket clutch and when its put back together they get the codes too. Misfire as well if you want I can go dig it up....well I can 2moro.I gotta crash.Work comes early!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

'13, no mods. I rarely get above 5000 rpms, but one of the few times I got on it there was a significant power loss in third. Trying to romp on it more now to see if I can recreate. 1100 miles so far
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Have traction control off? It will apply break and control fuel. You should always take it off if you play any.You use sport mode or the entire trak off yet? Just checking.Hell its the first place my hand goes when I crank my car out of habit. Mod it with exhaust and tune and it will wake that thing up! CAUTION.....It may be habit forming.Has been known to break a man or even divorce's.LOL!

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
I have a '13. Boss intake, jlt cai, cat deletes, 3" exhaust, xpipe, flowmaster mufflers, and a sct 93 octane tune on a dyno. No problems before or after. The only thing we noticed on the dyno when it was stock was the factory tune sucked. It wanted to lean out real bad on high rpms and go into cat over temps. And at WOT over 3k the air fuel would not drop. Since the mods and the tune, everything is in perfect working order. Good luck to ya!
I have heard of this on stock cars as well b4.Always lean instead of rich.Thats better than rich but to lean is not good.But you get a little more playing on the lean side.You did right with going ahead and getting it all done like you did.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

I wonder if any of you guys bought a car that was built on a Friday or Monday. You know what they say about things built on Fridays and Mondays.LOL
Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
They know every code its throwing.If good tech he will think outside the box as for the problem.They put a brand new motor in over some ticking???? Not sure If I like that or not.Guess it's one of those deals where you have to be there and go on your gut feeling.How many miles was on the car when you took delivery.Just seems they would have opened it up to have a look in the motor.Surprised ford was quick to approve a NEW 5.0. it could be simple as some type of relearn they are missing.I know guys who have had just the tranny pulled for a strong aftermarket clutch and when its put back together they get the codes too. Misfire as well if you want I can go dig it up....well I can 2moro.I gotta crash.Work comes early!
The car had about 200 some miles on it..and yes they wanted to tear the motor down and figure out what was up...no way I was having that, so they ordered a new crate 5.0 and yanked out the old one.
Then about a month later my CEL kept coming on when I would go WOT ...so I took it back and ford said it was being caused by my Borla axle backs ...so basically they put a tune on it to fix the problem, ford say the newer 5.0's are very sensitive to aftermarket items ...so thats what they did

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

My car was new when I got it..had about 6 miles on it
GT 500 Spoiler,Front Bumper
Custom Dyno Tune by Wolfpack speed
20" Roush Hyper Black Wheels
Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #17

Region: South Carolina

Wow. You may have a lemon, I would look into my states lemon laws to see if you can invoke them.
Lastgunfight3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Has to be in 3 times for same issue and be in service for at least a month...mine has been in twice for engine issues ...and down in service for 2 weeks.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
They coulda left some ground wires off or loose during the engine swapp..Very important on the computer controls..
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I said to them a hundred times ..thats why I didn't want the car back nor did I want them to tear the motor apart.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
I wonder if any of you guys bought a car that was built on a Friday or Monday. You know what they say about things built on Fridays and Mondays.LOL
I got a Monday:/, but my stang hasnt had problems, must have been right after the coffee kicked in lol
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #22

Region: Virginia

I have the same issue. I've had the CEL flash while the car was stock and after the Borla ABs and Boss side exits. Been in the shop twice now. They said they logged my car and another '13 on the lot and were getting the same readings. No fix action at the time. This weekend I got another CEL flash, but this was the first time I lost power.
JonathanDough13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Maybe it's all the crap parts from china
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have over 10k on my '13 haven't had any issues. I have Borla Exhaust also
RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

damn you have over 10k already?????
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTStang
does anyone else in here who has a 13' had any issue like this whether your car is stock...or slightly modified(exhaust,Tune,CAI)????
5k, only mod is Borla sTypes, no issues, blaming it on axlebacks is BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle
'13, no mods. I rarely get above 5000 rpms, but one of the few times I got on it there was a significant power loss in third. Trying to romp on it more now to see if I can recreate. 1100 miles so far
I get that in 2nd but found I just needed to get it up past 4k in 1st at WOT w/ TC on.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
damn you have over 10k already?????
The wife and I go to a lot of Rally's, I bought it to drive not sit in my garage(does this when weather is bad) still having to much fun.
RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #28

Region: Maryland
I had the same problem, but I modified nothing on the car--100% stock. It would stall and stagger, and if I continued to try to drive it, the care would go into a limp-home mode. I first took it in at 140 miles on the odometer. The light and problem would reset if I restarted the car. Bob Bell Ford in Maryland could not fix the problem. They swapped positions of coils and replaced the entire computer without success. A regional technician wanted to open up the engine and replace cam position and throttle position sensors. After 5 visits, I invoked the lemon law. Engine gaskets are torqued on at the factory with a machine that does all bolts at once. I did not pay for a rebuilt car but a brand new one. Ford attempted to discourage me from the lemon law by refusing to return phone calls, passing me to various reps and even attempting to tell me their records showed I only brought it in twice, therefore not qualifying for the lemon law. Fortunately, I kept better copies than they claimed to be capable of retaining. I won in the end, due to record keeping and countless letters and phone calls. Again, I did not so much as change a muffler (which should not matter). Do not give up on this problem--Mustangs are far to expensive now to just accept a rebuilt engine.
BlueMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
If it was my car, I would have demanded a new motor. I had an '04 F150 with the 5.4L motor and always had a ticking noise on right side of motor. At 150,000 miles, the motor blew. Cam sensor on right side was bad the whole time. It finally caused the #7 cylinder to throw a rod. Ticking in a motor is bad.

To the OP, not sure what to tell you bro. I'd almost just want a new car over that and not pay a penny.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post

If it was my car, I would have demanded a new motor. I had an '04 F150 with the 5.4L motor and always had a ticking noise on right side of motor. At 150,000 miles, the motor blew. Cam sensor on right side was bad the whole time. It finally caused the #7 cylinder to throw a rod. Ticking in a motor is bad.

To the OP, not sure what to tell you bro. I'd almost just want a new car over that and not pay a penny.
Did you see how old this thread is Lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
This thread is really old lol but I had the same issue, seemed like every time it was cold pour and I got on it a little it happened 2 times in 5th gear and 1 time in 4th. Took it to the shop twice and they worked on it and it happened again.. but its been good ever since I just am scared to downshift in to 5th on the highway and gun it.. seemed to be the cause of my problems in the first place.
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Did you see how old this thread is Lol.
It means the guy knows how to use the search button.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #33
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Good call.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Good call.
lol i'd agree except the guy I quoted only posted because someone else revived it. Then he commented to the OP from 10 months ago

really only messing, just thought it was funny.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
I got a Monday:/, but my stang hasnt had problems, must have been right after the coffee kicked in lol
How do you find that out?
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT