lowering springs help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
lowering springs help

my brother has a 2013 5.0 and is looking at the ford racing springs either the 1 or 1.5 drop. any opinions on ford racing springs and will he need camber bolts w these springs?
beccabau2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
From what I gathered from this forum 1.5 drop needs camberbolts and a panhard adjustable thingy hope this helps
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50
From what I gathered from this forum 1.5 drop needs camberbolts and a panhard adjustable thingy hope this helps
Lol.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50
you dont need them just the springs will be fine.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

it helps but not a must
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

it helps but not a must
thanks
beccabau2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Caster camber bolts or plates will help but if you can't afford them there is a tab on the plate on the top of the strut tower if you point both of them in towards the motor your camber should be damn close to being right. As for the adjustable track bar you don't have to have one
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabau2012
my brother has a 2013 5.0 and is looking at the ford racing springs either the 1 or 1.5 drop. any opinions on ford racing springs and will he need camber bolts w these springs?
I have the p springs (1") and only needed to realign the vehicle

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Re: lowering springs help

Is anybody doing these drops themselves? I assume most are paying a shop and that can get pricey.If you done it all yourself-? Share what you went with exactly, and what did you need to do it ? How long it take you? I realize if some did do it themselves, that taken it in for alignhment is normal and necessary. That I see.....paying to have all 4 corners done at a shop is not my style.
Sorry for the questions or thread jack but it kinda fits in here.Thanks for any feed back fellows.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
Is anybody doing these drops themselves? I assume most are paying a shop and that can get pricey.If you done it all yourself-? Share what you went with exactly, and what did you need to do it ? How long it take you? I realize if some did do it themselves, that taken it in for alignhment is normal and necessary. That I see.....paying to have all 4 corners done at a shop is not my style.
Sorry for the questions or thread jack but it kinda fits in here.Thanks for any feed back fellows.
i install all my stuff myself took about a hour in a half all u need is a spring compressor and hand tools. i have the ford k springs
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
i install all my stuff myself took about a hour in a half all u need is a spring compressor and hand tools. i have the ford k springs
Ok .....so you have the ford K springs.Is that front and back? How much drop you say? What else did you have to buy to do just the K springs? A hour and half for all 4 corners?? Damn! I figured a day?tell me your set-up and what it run ya if you don't mind? If you want you can PM it. How many miles you got on this set-up. Tires Wearing normal?? You got my attention on this. Sounds do-able for sure. I already got some good adjustable BMR LCA's to throw on while doing this work.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I also installed my springs myself like he said only special tool you need is a spring compressor which you can rent from an auto zone or advance took about 2 hours. I also did my own alignment but you should get one done anyways from a shop if you can't do it yourself. Pretty straight forward and simple if you have any more questions there's a video on YouTube from the motorz tv series that shows this install in depth on an 05+ mustang.
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have no idea why people feel the need to use the spring compressor.. I've installed lowering kits on many different cars for friends and never used a compressor.

All I used was the opposite end of the breaker bar when the a-arm is not under tension(when it's just hanging). And just pop the springs out and pop the new ones back in.

Easy easy.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I have no idea why people feel the need to use the spring compressor.. I've installed lowering kits on many different cars for friends and never used a compressor.

All I used was the opposite end of the breaker bar when the a-arm is not under tension(when it's just hanging). And just pop the springs out and pop the new ones back in.

Easy easy.
I had it for "safety" but just apply pressure to the control arms and it either falls or pull it out. Its because of all the horror stories of springs bouncing and flying across the room and killing people. Totally a lie!
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Road Trip!

I did both sets off springs on my car. The spring compressor is for safety. Used it the first time but not second. Its also good to have a buddy that can help.

Note buddy did his by self. Forgot to disconnect the front sway bar. As when he helped me I don't have one. Any way he had strut undone and then realized he had to undo sway bar. Well it let tension off and smashed his hand. Broke the bone in his thumb. It was pretty nasty bone sticking out. Needless to say take your time. And if you have a buddy that has did it before make sure they can help. After he said man I wish I would have called you to come over and help.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I understand it's for safety.. But it's kinda hard to mess this job up unless you're really not thinking. I put a jack under my a-arm and jacked up a bit to undo all components then slowly let all tension off the a-arm with it. Very easy. Very quick.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #16

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
I did mine myself along with the LCA's and adjustable panhard bar. I used the eibach pro kit and it was a good thing to have the panhard bar as the rear of my car had shifted what seemed like a good inch. The only special tools like everyone has said is the spring compressor, but I highly recommend an air impact gun. I felt like it sped up the process a lot. Oh and I'm no mechanic but do ALL my own work on this car, it probably took me at least 2+ hours. ( drinking beer and taking my time). Good luck.
mustangcobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
Well I understand it's for safety.. But it's kinda hard to mess this job up unless you're really not thinking. I put a jack under my a-arm and jacked up a bit to undo all components then slowly let all tension off the a-arm with it. Very easy. Very quick.
That how I do when not using a spring compressor.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Use a spring compressor unless your 110 % shore of your skill level or know a good dentist
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT