Oil change question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Oil change question

Which oil is a better choice for my car? Penzoil full synthetic or Mobil 1 full synthetic. I use 5w-30 and it's for my 2011 5.0. My car is modded so I want good engine oil. Of those two which is better. Thanks!
BossFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Oh stirring the pot bud. Both oils are good my dad uses pennzoil for years and I use mobile one. Both oils will protect ur motor I just like the 15000 mile guarantee with mobile 1 even though I never get to 15k miles between changes.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Oh stirring the pot bud. Both oils are good my dad uses pennzoil for years and I use mobile one. Both oils will protect ur motor I just like the 15000 mile guarantee with mobile 1 even though I never get to 15k miles between changes.
Thanks for the response. Reason why I ask, is I've been using Mobil 1 on my car since I got it but I don't have to much money to spend and autozone is running a special on Penzoil this time and not the Mobil 1. So it'd be nice to save some money but if they're a huge difference then I wouldn't mind spending the money for the mobil 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
I would say u can go pennzoil for one oil change especially since I imagine u change oil probably around 5k

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Oil change question

x2 with stirring the pot.

Traditionally I use Mobil 1 in anything that I drive (my new 5.0 replaced a very heavily modified '03 SRT4 that was 300whp at 24psi) but, methinks as long as you stay synthetic you will probably be fine.

I think where you start running into issues is when you start swapping in dino oil.

TL;DR, if you run synthetic, stay synthetic. Not sure if brand makes a huge difference.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok

Traditionally I use Mobil 1 in anything that I drive (my new 5.0 replaced a very heavily modified '03 SRT4 that was 300whp at 24psi) but, methinks as long as you stay synthetic you will probably be fine.

I think where you start running into issues is when you start swapping in dino oil.

TL;DR, if you run synthetic, stay synthetic. Not sure if brand makes a huge difference.
Gotcha, thanks for that info.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

What if this will be the first time I've used synthetic. Should I flush and clean out the old oil first?
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50

What if this will be the first time I've used synthetic. Should I flush and clean out the old oil first?
No need to flush just drain completely and add the new synthetic. I like amsoil synthetic myself! It is a true synthetic unlike some others that claim to be synthetic.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well the ******* at autozone who told me they have penzoil available sold them before I got there. Lol. Ended up getting the Mobil 1 full synthetic and Mobil 1 filter.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Oil change question

I've had real good luck with the K&N oilfilters. they have a 1/2" nut on the end, makes removing them easy.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I've had real good luck with the K&N oilfilters. they have a 1/2" nut on the end, makes removing them easy.
+1^
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT