Things to do in the engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Things to do in the engine

What are some things I can do to my V8 mustang when I'm bored or just feel like playing around with it, I like spending time outside working on it, but when I'm just tinkering with parts I feel like I'm not doing anything for the actual car which can make the process less interesting. It's a 2013 so I'm assuming there's nothing really to do. But I figured I would ask you guys before I made that conclusion. Thanks

2013 Grabber Blue GT - 6 speed manual, Boss coil covers
EMckV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Keep it clean.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah, not much needs to be done to a '13. It wouldn't hurt to check your spark plugs, clean the MAF, but really for now just keep it clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Depends how much you drive, and your driving style. The harder you drive the more you do to maintain its new car feel.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Well I'm only 20 but I've worked hard for the last 6 years to save up for my stang, unfortunately I'm not very car smart. What are some of the things I should do to keep the new car feel?

2013 Grabber Blue GT - 6 speed manual, Boss coil covers
EMckV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMckV8
Well I'm only 20 but I've worked hard for the last 6 years to save up for my stang, unfortunately I'm not very car smart. What are some of the things I should do to keep the new car feel?
Keep it clean, change the oil or have it changed regularly is all you need to do to keep it looking new for at least the first 20k. But if your not already a pro at detailing a car I would start there! There is an art to making and keeping your car looking like new. Learn to clay bar then learn how to apply a few coats of sealer or was on there. I like zaino stuff.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
Yeah, not much needs to be done to a '13. It wouldn't hurt to check your spark plugs, clean the MAF, but really for now just keep it clean.
Absolutely no need to even think about checking spark plugs and cleaning maf on a brand new car.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Things to do in the engine

Welcome to the good old days.

Seriously, on a modern car, there's so little to do unless you mod it. Regular maintenance beyond oil changes is pretty much a thing of the past. Even air filters go 20, 30, 40 thou plus and you'll forget how to do things it's been so long.

Back in the day, 30 years + ago when I learned how to do crap like gapping points and plugs, jetting and rebuilding carbs, lashing the valvetrain, greasing the chassis, packing wheel bearings, decarbonising engines, replacing exhaust, shocks, springs, etc. etc. etc. this kind of thing was required. Car's were as durable as a kleenex box in a car crusher.

People today get to just plain enjoy the cars and don't really even have to get dirty anymore. Trust me, I ain't lamenting the loss of all that filthy work, I have a very real and practical view of these things.

please don't mess around if you don't know what you're doing underhood. You'll create problems where none exist. Just wash it and keep it looking new and enjoy the ride. You can do little stuff like putting hood struts on or a shifter bracket in with minimum risk and that'll improve things and only require basic hand tools.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT