Need help with lowering... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Need help with lowering...

I decided this is going to be my first major mod. I want to do it right - I don't mind spending money but I don't want to waste it. My main question is which parts do I want/need? Brand recommendations? I have a good mechanic helping me, I'm not touching the car yet but I want to watch and learn haha.

I also want to upgrade my brakes, tires, and exhaust soon. Would it be easier to do any of those at the same time or does it not matter?

Oh, and it's an '11 GT.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Oh... And I want to lower it 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear.
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
If you can swing it do all of the suspension at once and do all the rest in time, or even do it all at once if you've really got some money.

As far as suspension, you will obviously need the springs, and adjustable panhard rod, camber/caster plates/bolts, recommend new shocks/struts as well, they are not a must but would be better. If you really wanna go all out get some new sway bars as well. Anyone else please chime in if I'm forgetting something

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

As far as brakes, is this a brembo car?

For tires, are you lookin at diff wheels too or just tires?

Exhaust, looking for power or strictly sound?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
If you can swing it do all of the suspension at once and do all the rest in time, or even do it all at once if you've really got some money.

As far as suspension, you will obviously need the springs, and adjustable panhard rod, camber/caster plates/bolts, recommend new shocks/struts as well, they are not a must but would be better. If you really wanna go all out get some new sway bars as well. Anyone else please chime in if I'm forgetting something

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

As far as brakes, is this a brembo car?

For tires, are you lookin at diff wheels too or just tires?

Exhaust, looking for power or strictly sound?
Thanks for the response!

I'd rather just do all the suspension first if it won't make a difference to do the others at the same time. I do need a new TV

Do I need the camber bolts if I'm only going down an inch in the front?

The brakes are base, the wheels are the 18" polished aluminum. I'll attach a picture of the rear tires so you can see what they are. I'm happy with my wheels for now, but I know I'm going to want darker ones eventually. So I'm not sure if I want to change the whole wheel now or later, or if I want to just paint them.

Exhaust I'm just looking for sound.

Thank you so much for the help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-833788118.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	58441  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Thanks for the response!

I'd rather just do all the suspension first if it won't make a difference to do the others at the same time. I do need a new TV

Do I need the camber bolts if I'm only going down an inch in the front?

The brakes are base, the wheels are the 18" polished aluminum. I'll attach a picture of the rear tires so you can see what they are. I'm happy with my wheels for now, but I know I'm going to want darker ones eventually. So I'm not sure if I want to change the whole wheel now or later, or if I want to just paint them.

Exhaust I'm just looking for sound.

Thank you so much for the help!!
Do the suspension then buy a tv, then mod some more lol.

C/c bolts may or may not be necessary, unfortunately you will not know until you install everything, cars are like thumb prints, while they all appear to be the same they all have their small differences and no two cars are the same.

If you upgrade brakes to a larger diameter rotor, it's guaranteed you will need new wheels. Either ones with a different backpacking, molding, or larger diameter. If all you want is different brake lines, pads, or calipers you will not necessarily need new wheels.

Now for sound are you looking for loud or a good tone or what? GT500's are the best sounding at the best price! Roush are best sounding loud for mid range price as is flowmaster outlaws. Going into higher end most people go Borlas everytime. If you just want loud and cheap then go muffler deletes. In the end it's up to you, go to YouTube and look at as many exhaust clips as you can handle

Hope this helps

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I want a good sound, I'd rather wait and spend more money than spend less money to get it right away. I was thinking Roush, is Borla much better?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I want a good sound, I'd rather wait and spend more money than spend less money to get it right away. I was thinking Roush, is Borla much better?
Depends on who you ask, I don't think it's worth the price but many on here would say otherwise, it's really just up to what you think.

Cheaper doesn't always mean low quality either. While the GT500's are the cheapest axlebacks that you can buy (not including muffler deletes) they are very good quality and sound excellent. YouTube will be your best friend on deciding this

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I will look at some videos, thank you soooo much for all the info!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Np

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
I don't think the Borlas are 3-400$ better. For the price of borlas you could have Flowmaster Outlaws or Roush plus another mod. I've got custom muffler deletes and constantly have people asking me what exhaust I'm running. It's all what sounds good to you. If you just want it a little louder above stock I'd go with gt500s.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Now I'm thinking GT500s..... This is a tough decision, haha
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Now I'm thinking GT500s..... This is a tough decision, haha
If you wanna hear gt500s go to the dealership that you bought your car from and see if they have a gt500 on the lot. Tell your salesman you wanna hear it because you're thinking of buying gt500 mufflers. The Shelby will sound a tad different but not worlds different than the 5.0.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
For lowering pan handle springs aftermarket upper strut mounts. That will get u where u want to be for a dd. rear lower control arms is also another good and easy mod to go with and you will appreciate the lack of wheel hop after that. Anyway if you want to go more advanced the sky is the limit and you can make that thing stick on an autocross track like nobodys business. If you want that list I have one generated n will toss it ur way in a pm. Do you only plan on going with mufflers or do u want to eventually go headers all the way back. Roush are naturally a little raspy but I personally like it and that's what I went with. For natural growl the gt500 mufflers will suffice. You are making the right move listening to YouTube vids just remember to multiply by a 100 when it comes to the sound because cellphone mics don't pull much. When it comes to upgrading brakes look at two companies wildwood and Baer. Last time I checked brembos are still through the roof on their pricing so u may want to shy away from them. With upgraded brakes you will need 19 x 9.5 inch wide rims to clear bigger brakes. Drilled and slotted rotors will guarantee better cooling and once again the sky is the limit just depends on what u want to do with the car. A side note I have a frpp brake cooling kit on my car which mounts up to a boss lower valence if u want added info on that just ask. To finish up take a look at my drop it is 1.5 1.5 frpp k springs. They work out well and I don't drag my body over speed bumps even with roush splitters. Any other questions feel free to ask and just as a reminder it is necessary to get a front end alignment after any suspension work so don't forget. Good luck

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
For lowering pan handle springs aftermarket upper strut mounts. That will get u where u want to be for a dd. rear lower control arms is also another good and easy mod to go with and you will appreciate the lack of wheel hop after that. Anyway if you want to go more advanced the sky is the limit and you can make that thing stick on an autocross track like nobodys business. If you want that list I have one generated n will toss it ur way in a pm. Do you only plan on going with mufflers or do u want to eventually go headers all the way back. Roush are naturally a little raspy but I personally like it and that's what I went with. For natural growl the gt500 mufflers will suffice. You are making the right move listening to YouTube vids just remember to multiply by a 100 when it comes to the sound because cellphone mics don't pull much. When it comes to upgrading brakes look at two companies wildwood and Baer. Last time I checked brembos are still through the roof on their pricing so u may want to shy away from them. With upgraded brakes you will need 19 x 9.5 inch wide rims to clear bigger brakes. Drilled and slotted rotors will guarantee better cooling and once again the sky is the limit just depends on what u want to do with the car. A side note I have a frpp brake cooling kit on my car which mounts up to a boss lower valence if u want added info on that just ask. To finish up take a look at my drop it is 1.5 1.5 frpp k springs. They work out well and I don't drag my body over speed bumps even with roush splitters. Any other questions feel free to ask and just as a reminder it is necessary to get a front end alignment after any suspension work so don't forget. Good luck
I'd love that list, thanks! I'm so confused about which mods require other mods to be done first, which mods you can't do with other mods... Things like that. It's so complicated, haha

I want to do as much as I can but keep most of my warranty and make my car last. I don't want to turn it into another Mustang, I just want a BA GT

I eventually want headers all the way back, so now I'm wondering if should just do the full exhaust now
Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Need help with lowering...

I have on my '11 GT Brembo, the STEEDA Sport Springs and KONI's shocks. That's a great setup, great handling, great looks and is not that low that I can scrap the lower part of my car. I got them from STRANOPARTS
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'd love that list, thanks! I'm so confused about which mods require other mods to be done first, which mods you can't do with other mods... Things like that. It's so complicated, haha

I want to do as much as I can but keep most of my warranty and make my car last. I don't want to turn it into another Mustang, I just want a BA GT

I eventually want headers all the way back, so now I'm wondering if should just do the full exhaust now
Well just to give you a little warning, if you do full exhaust you will have to do a tune because of the o2 sensor issues, so if you tune it that brings questions into your warranty. So you have to really decide when you are going to no longer miss your warranty and until then just get a set of axle backs for the loudness effect. Anyway as for wha mods require other mods, plain and tithe point lowering springs pan handle and camber bolts. Recommended upper strut mounts from steeda since u want to do the full suspension in the future those will compliment the set up I will pm to u shortly.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter
I have on my '11 GT Brembo, the STEEDA Sport Springs and KONI's shocks. That's a great setup, great handling, great looks and is not that low that I can scrap the lower part of my car. I got them from STRANOPARTS
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

Well just to give you a little warning, if you do full exhaust you will have to do a tune because of the o2 sensor issues, so if you tune it that brings questions into your warranty. So you have to really decide when you are going to no longer miss your warranty and until then just get a set of axle backs for the loudness effect. Anyway as for wha mods require other mods, plain and tithe point lowering springs pan handle and camber bolts. Recommended upper strut mounts from steeda since u want to do the full suspension in the future those will compliment the set up I will pm to u shortly.
Perfect, thanks for the explanation. I will just do axle backs for now as I'm not interested in tuning yet.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well... I went with Magnaflows after deciding the GT500s would be too quiet. I bought them from Ford and they installed them right away on a Saturday morning with no appointment. I absolutely love them

They are a little too loud cruising on the interstate, I probably wouldn't be happy with them if I didn't have a DD... But I do
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The louder the better on a weekend car lol

Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I love my mag comps, they are not as raspy as the other main cat backs and with an off road h pipe they are a dream come true lol
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT